Poll

Which Warriors make the All-NBA team this year?

Curry, Durant, Green, Thompson
1 (10%)
Curry, Durant, Green
3 (30%)
Curry, Durant, Thompson
0 (0%)
Curry and Durant only
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Does GS end up with 4 All-NBA players this year?  (Read 761 times)

Does GS end up with 4 All-NBA players this year?
« on: December 04, 2016, 05:06:50 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
So there was some talk before the season started how GS was the first team to have 4 All-NBA players on it by adding Durant to Curry, Thompson, and Green.

Personally, I felt this was inaccurate to say at the time, because the prior seasons's awards don't matter for the next season, and I wasn't really sure how good Thompson and Green really were.  It would be more accurate to say the Warriors were the first team to bring 4 All-NBA players from the prior season together, but anyway...

Right now we're about a quarter way through the season.  GS is on pace for 70 wins, (but SAS, LAC, and CLE could all end up with 60+ wins too).  Curry and Durant are locks for All-NBA, but what about Green and Thompson?

Green has a pretty impressive 10.6 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 7.4 apg, 2.2 spg, 1.6 bpg
Thompson's putting up 20.7, 3.6 rpg, 2.2 apg, 0.7 spg, but only 38% from beyond the arc.
Both pretty similar to last year.

So thinking about All-NBA awards for 2017, for the forwards, Anthony Davis and Blake Griffin were both injured last year and are usually locks to make the team and both playing great this year (especially Davis, though maybe they vote him as a center this year), but Aldridge and George don't look as impressive this year, so that opens 2 spots for them to take right there.  Jimmy Butler has also stepped it up this year.  On the guard side,  DeRozen, Harden, and Antetokounmpo are all having career years, and nobody else who made the team last year has really fallen off.  There's a lot of competition at the guard spots.

I see the All-NBA rankings in a loose order for guards and forwards maybe looking something like:

Guards: Westbrook, Harden, Curry, DeRozen, Antetokounmpo, Lillard, Lowry, Paul, Thompson, Thomas, Walker, Irving

Forwards: Davis, James, Durant, Leonard, Griffin, Butler, Green, Love

So for all the talk of 4 All-NBA players, do they even get 3 this year?  As ridiculous as it sounds, do they even get a 1st team player?  Now Curry and Durant will easily make the team, but that 1st team has some major competition.  Maybe Green makes the team too with his unique stat line, but no way is Klay Thompson making it the way things look right now.  What do you all think?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:34:12 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: Does GS end up with 4 All-NBA players this year?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 05:14:18 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Why are you mentioning players in the East?  It has been a few years since I've watched the AllStar game but isn't it still East versus West?   

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Why are you mentioning players in the East?  It has been a few years since I've watched the AllStar game but isn't it still East versus West?   

All-NBA, not All-Star
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 05:27:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I don't really see how Thompson could make a team. He is having a fine season but definitely not one of top 6 guards in nba