Author Topic: 2017 Free Agent Targets  (Read 9578 times)

Re: 2017 Free Agent Targets
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 07:25:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think Hayward is much more attainable than people think. However, he shouldn't be our first priority at all - a big should be.

I just don't see a big outside of Griffin that will be worth the money they get this summer, and I don't see Griffin leaving LA, like at all.

My list goes:

1. Noel
2A. Milsap
2B. Ibaka
3. Hayward and go small (ugghh I've had enough of this small ball crap already)
4. Gibson

I would still much rather have a trade for Boogie, though, which I still think is possible though others are trying to rain on that parade.

Noel should not be #1 because of his restricted status.  Essentially his salary could be tied up for up to 12 days (depending how quickly in the offseason he comes to an agreement) and the Sixers could ultimately match.  While I think the Sixers won't and shouldn't match, the uncertainty means he should not be the #1 target.  Better to get Hayward than wind up holding a big bag of money you can't give anyone.

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 07:28:32 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
I think Hayward is much more attainable than people think. However, he shouldn't be our first priority at all - a big should be.

I just don't see a big outside of Griffin that will be worth the money they get this summer, and I don't see Griffin leaving LA, like at all.

My list goes:

1. Noel
2A. Milsap
2B. Ibaka
4. Gibson

I would still much rather have a trade for Boogie, though, which I still think is possible though others are trying to rain on that parade.

Noel should not be #1 because of his restricted status.  Essentially his salary could be tied up for up to 12 days (depending how quickly in the offseason he comes to an agreement) and the Sixers could ultimately match.  While I think the Sixers won't and shouldn't match, the uncertainty means he should not be the #1 target.  Better to get Hayward than wind up holding a big bag of money you can't give anyone.

I kind of figure that if we're actually going to go for Noel it'll be a trade this year rather than actually trying to sign him from another team as a free agent.

I'm betting that if it does happen it'll probably be like an IT situation where a trade comes at the last minute, which is probably due to Danny holding out as long as possible for Boogie before giving up and settling for Noel.

I truly don't expect us to go for him if we don't trade for him, unless of course he's not getting big money offers that everyone expects.

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 07:29:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd imagine that one plausible off-season would be to sign Hayward, re-sign Olynyk, then either trade for someone like Kosta Koufos or Tyson Chandler or figure out a way to sign someone like Taj Gibson while bringing in Zizic and/or finding a way to bring back Amir Johnson or Jonas Jerebko for cheap to round out the big man rotation.  I haven't done the cap math, but it can probably be made to work.
I can but marvel at the idea that someone wants Kosta Koufos. Haven't we all seen enough of Tyler Zeller yet?

I would think that seeing a lot of Tyler Zeller would make some people happy to get a player who would be a significant upgrade on defense and rebounding.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 07:59:28 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

My list goes:

1. Noel
2A. Milsap
2B. Ibaka
4. Gibson

The new CBA could change that.  They were talking about reducing the time to match an offer sheet to 48 hours and possibly reducing or eliminating the dead time where teams can only re-sign their own players. 

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

My list goes:

1. Noel
2A. Milsap
2B. Ibaka
4. Gibson

The new CBA could change that.  They were talking about reducing the time to match an offer sheet to 48 hours and possibly reducing or eliminating the dead time where teams can only re-sign their own players.

If they get rid of the moratorium, you could move him a little up the list.  If the moratorium still exists for more than a day, you'd have to knock him down.  Consider how quickly all the top free agents came to an agreement this past summer (minus LeBron, who was always staying in Cleveland).  It was by the morning of July 4th.  Even if the 76ers had 48 hours, and you agreed with Noel pretty quickly on July 1st, you're still stuck until say noon on July 3rd, which could very well be too late to do anything else should the 76ers match.  And that's assuming no moratorium at all.  Say it's only two days instead of ten, which means the league starts on a business day (Monday).  Now 48 hours takes you to July 5th, and in most years that means you're going to be out of luck on finding anyone else.

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 08:18:07 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Unfortunately I don't think any of my top 7 ranked guys will leave their current teams. Each is set for max deals.

So honestly I'd be happy to get Redick for 4 years $48 million total.

I'd rather Bogut. Can rebound and play some defense. That's a BIG need for this team (size and rebounding late in games)
Bogut would be good too. Team will need to possibly replace Zeller, KO, JJ and AJ.

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 10:55:34 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The Celtics have no chance on Griffin. Hayward possible with the Stevens connect. They could use another big scorer, but he's not the defender Crowder is.

Noel fits a big need. In fact, I don't think they can get to the next level without help up front in rebounding/defense.

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 01:27:45 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I can see us signing Hayward.   I think Hayward would love to play for Stevens again and the Celtics look to be better then the Jazz going forward.  However, Hayward does complicate things at the SF position. We would have Hayward/Crowder/Brown/Nader.  So I think Nader can play the  SG position and Brown can play the PF spot.  Smart and Rosier are taking the bench minutes at SG, and I remember Crowder playing some SG when he first got here.  He can play the 2, 3, and 4. So Nader would be hard pressed to play and with the lower dollar deal he signed there probably is interest in him playing some role next year. But then again James Young looked great in the D league.  If Brown can add 20 lbs by next season he could be an undersized strong athletic 4.  After all that is what Yabusele is.  But we still have Mickey at the 4 and our pending free agents play the 4, Johnson, JJ, KO.  I really think Hayward is a Celtic next year but he does force management's hand in some player decisions.  we have too many people who deserve to play but aren't significantly better then the other players we have.  We need to move a few players at the trade deadline to make room for the lottery pick we get from Brooklyn, free agent (hayward and maybe another player as well), Zizic and Yabusele.

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 01:33:12 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Hm Hayward would be awesome, but that would create a huge logjam
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 12:45:01 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Last year, everyone was focused on KD, that I think we let one get away.

Harrison Barnes is proceeding to have a very nice year so far, 20.4/5.7 for the PPG and RBG.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6578/harrison-barnes

I had hoped for him in Celtic green but it didn't work out.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 03:27:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I can see us signing Hayward.   I think Hayward would love to play for Stevens again and the Celtics look to be better then the Jazz going forward.  However, Hayward does complicate things at the SF position. We would have Hayward/Crowder/Brown/Nader.  So I think Nader can play the  SG position and Brown can play the PF spot.  Smart and Rosier are taking the bench minutes at SG, and I remember Crowder playing some SG when he first got here.  He can play the 2, 3, and 4. So Nader would be hard pressed to play and with the lower dollar deal he signed there probably is interest in him playing some role next year. But then again James Young looked great in the D league.  If Brown can add 20 lbs by next season he could be an undersized strong athletic 4.  After all that is what Yabusele is.  But we still have Mickey at the 4 and our pending free agents play the 4, Johnson, JJ, KO.  I really think Hayward is a Celtic next year but he does force management's hand in some player decisions.  we have too many people who deserve to play but aren't significantly better then the other players we have.  We need to move a few players at the trade deadline to make room for the lottery pick we get from Brooklyn, free agent (hayward and maybe another player as well), Zizic and Yabusele.

I think the ideal would be Brown showing he can be a SF/SG off the bench and Smart becoming part of a package in a trade for a big man.  Then you'd have Hayward/Bradley/Crowder/Brown as wings, with Hayward and Crowder sometimes playing as smallball 4s.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 03:29:41 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Harrison Barnes is proceeding to have a very nice year so far, 20.4/5.7 for the PPG and RBG.

So far this season, he has a WS/48 of 0.77, a BPM of -2.5, and a VORP of -0.1, so I'd say he's having a good season for fantasy basketball purposes and a bad season for real basketball purposes.

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 03:42:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Hes on the 4-15 Mavs. empty stats.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 03:50:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

You're getting ahead of yourself if you're concerned about Nader's minutes on a team with Hayward.

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 03:50:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Hes on the 4-15 Mavs. empty stats.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400899365

Look at the players the Mavs have been putting out there with Barnes? Who outside the top level superstars is leading that team to lots of wins?