Author Topic: 2017 Free Agent Targets  (Read 9594 times)

Re: 2017 Free Agent Targets
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 04:25:02 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I can see us signing Hayward.   I think Hayward would love to play for Stevens again and the Celtics look to be better then the Jazz going forward.  However, Hayward does complicate things at the SF position. We would have Hayward/Crowder/Brown/Nader.  So I think Nader can play the  SG position and Brown can play the PF spot.  Smart and Rosier are taking the bench minutes at SG, and I remember Crowder playing some SG when he first got here.  He can play the 2, 3, and 4. So Nader would be hard pressed to play and with the lower dollar deal he signed there probably is interest in him playing some role next year. But then again James Young looked great in the D league.  If Brown can add 20 lbs by next season he could be an undersized strong athletic 4.  After all that is what Yabusele is.  But we still have Mickey at the 4 and our pending free agents play the 4, Johnson, JJ, KO.  I really think Hayward is a Celtic next year but he does force management's hand in some player decisions.  we have too many people who deserve to play but aren't significantly better then the other players we have.  We need to move a few players at the trade deadline to make room for the lottery pick we get from Brooklyn, free agent (hayward and maybe another player as well), Zizic and Yabusele.

You're getting ahead of yourself if you're concerned about Nader's minutes on a team with Hayward.

I'm not saying Nader is going to be a star or anything.  What I'm saying is that he did the celtics a solid by giving up the cash he could have gotten to go to Europe. The expectation is probably that he'll make the roster next year, get a generous but fair salary (think Mickey), and actually play in the games.   He looked better than Young in summer league and Young has found his way into games this season.

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 11:40:34 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
The Jazz front office is going to have issues this free agency.  They have to resign three starters all due for a big pay raise. Hayward is a Max candidate, George Hill will want nearly 20M, and Gobert will get at least 25M.  Adding 75M to their books will put them into the luxury tax.  My intuition is telling me that the Jazz do no want to support a luxury tax bill given their small market status.  Also, Favors will need to be resigned the following summer. It seems they are going to have to make a few tough decisions with personnel.  I'd hope Hayward would be the odd man out since they have Rodney Hood likely to slide into the SF position so Burks can start at SG.

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2016, 12:22:43 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Not a chance Utah gives George Hill 20 mil instead of giving Hayward the max.  Hill is 30 years old and not even a top 15 point guard in the league.  That would be a very unintelligent move.  They've gotta hand the team over to Exum already anyways.  Time to find out if Exum is gonna swim or sink and either stick with him or move on and go find another young PG.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2016, 12:37:38 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The Jazz front office is going to have issues this free agency.  They have to resign three starters all due for a big pay raise. Hayward is a Max candidate, George Hill will want nearly 20M, and Gobert will get at least 25M.  Adding 75M to their books will put them into the luxury tax.  My intuition is telling me that the Jazz do no want to support a luxury tax bill given their small market status.  Also, Favors will need to be resigned the following summer. It seems they are going to have to make a few tough decisions with personnel.  I'd hope Hayward would be the odd man out since they have Rodney Hood likely to slide into the SF position so Burks can start at SG.
I believe they've already extended Gobert.  Basketball-reference has him getting 21.2M next year.  Also, Hayward is on their books for 16.7M until he opts opt so they really would only be adding around 14M for his MAX contract.  Hill will be 31 so I doubt he'll get 20M.  It will probably be closer to 15M. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:51:36 AM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 12:43:48 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Gobert is already locked in at $21 mil.  If the Jazz max Hayward, they'd have 10 players under contract for $95 mil, assuming they waive Diaw.  They will be able to afford Hill and be nowhere near the tax.

2018 will be more difficult, but they're fine for 2017.

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 01:21:22 AM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
Not a chance Utah gives George Hill 20 mil instead of giving Hayward the max.  Hill is 30 years old and not even a top 15 point guard in the league.  That would be a very unintelligent move.  They've gotta hand the team over to Exum already anyways.  Time to find out if Exum is gonna swim or sink and either stick with him or move on and go find another young PG.

paying players by rank at their position is not how teams really pay players.  Also, you must have no idea what he is doing for the Jazz.  Maybe you should think before you put your foot in your mouth

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2016, 01:36:40 AM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday

Gobert is already locked in at $21 mil.  If the Jazz max Hayward, they'd have 10 players under contract for $95 mil, assuming they waive Diaw.  They will be able to afford Hill and be nowhere near the tax.

They will be closer to 107M after waiving Diaw, still needing to find a couple cheap bench players to replace Mack and Diaw.  It's definitely a stretch to expect Hayward to leave in free agency, but I wouldn't rule out Jazz making a trade. As trading (and drafting) are their main vehicles for adding talent (not a free agency destination)

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2016, 01:40:29 AM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
I believe they've already extended Gobert.  Basketball-reference has him getting 21.2M next year.  Also, Hayward is on their books for 16.7M until he opts opt so they really would only be adding around 14M for his MAX contract.  Hill will be 31 so I doubt he'll get 20M.  It will probably be closer to 15M.

He is averaging 20 ppg and if turner gets 17M averaging only 10ppg.  Also, a three year 60 M would put him at 33-34  when the contract ends

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2016, 02:13:09 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

He is averaging 20 ppg and if turner gets 17M averaging only 10ppg.  Also, a three year 60 M would put him at 33-34  when the contract ends
Pretty much every team had lots of cap space last offseason.  Some of them like the Blazers made stupid decisions.  There will be a lot fewer teams with cap space this offseason.   

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2016, 08:21:18 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Pretty much every team had lots of cap space last offseason.  Some of them like the Blazers made stupid decisions.  There will be a lot fewer teams with cap space this offseason.
And most teams already have a PG that is either better than Hill or is a long term fix.  I mean look around the league, outside of Brooklyn and Philly what exactly is the market for Hill?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2016, 08:26:16 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

And most teams already have a PG that is either better than Hill or is a long term fix.  I mean look around the league, outside of Brooklyn and Philly what exactly is the market for Hill?
Don't ask Larry Bird!   ;D   ;D

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2016, 08:38:31 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

They will be closer to 107M after waiving Diaw, still needing to find a couple cheap bench players to replace Mack and Diaw.  It's definitely a stretch to expect Hayward to leave in free agency, but I wouldn't rule out Jazz making a trade. As trading (and drafting) are their main vehicles for adding talent (not a free agency destination)

This is simply incorrect.  I did the math last night.  But believe whatever you'd like.  It's a post-fact world apparently.

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2016, 10:39:59 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

This is simply incorrect.  I did the math last night.  But believe whatever you'd like.  It's a post-fact world apparently.
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/utah-jazz/cap/2017/

Jazz are at 90 million next year but that includes Diaw, Hayward, and Bolomboy.  Knock out Diaw and Bolomboy and give Hayward a raise and the Jazz are in the low 90's with 9 players under contract.

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2016, 10:49:45 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Jazz are at 90 million next year but that includes Diaw, Hayward, and Bolomboy.  Knock out Diaw and Bolomboy and give Hayward a raise and the Jazz are in the low 90's with 9 players under contract.

Does it really matter for the Celtics? Do you think Hayward moves the needle?

I personally do not. I think he's an upgrade over Crowder, but not by a ton. The price differential is not worth it, in my opinion. Plus I want our #3 pick JB to get plenty of minutes. Hayward doesn't help that situation.

I want our next max contract to be a max talent.

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2016, 11:44:00 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Does it really matter for the Celtics? Do you think Hayward moves the needle?

I personally do not. I think he's an upgrade over Crowder, but not by a ton. The price differential is not worth it, in my opinion. Plus I want our #3 pick JB to get plenty of minutes. Hayward doesn't help that situation.

I want our next max contract to be a max talent.
I've said many times I'm not really interested in Hayward unless Boston has a prearranged trade involving Crowder, Brown, or Bradley that upgrades the 4/5 slot.  And I'm not sure he can really be a long term SF and while he is better than Bradley, he isn't that much better than Bradley.  I also don't think Hayward makes Boston a contender so I'm not sure the point of the move without something else major happening (like trading for Cousins).