Author Topic: 2017 Free Agent Targets  (Read 9642 times)

2017 Free Agent Targets
« on: December 04, 2016, 03:52:26 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
So who do you guys want the Celtics to target in the offseason?

What are your tiers for the FA?

Mine goes like this:

Tier 1:
Griffin
Hayward

Tier 2:
Gallo
Ibaka
Noel

Tier 3:
Bogut

Mostly just focusing on addressing the frontcourt needs.

Re: 2017 Free Agent Targets
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 03:55:58 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
if we strike out on the top tier guys, i'm down to bring Bogut here. he'd solve our rebounding issues.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 04:47:40 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
we are screwed....Danny needs to get a Huge Trade done this season....Brooklyn pick looks like it has some real value.

FA class looks Weak. Don't wanna spend 30Million on Hayward and scrubs.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 04:57:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
My order
Tier 1
1. KD
2. Curry
3. Griffin
4. CP3

Tier 2
5. Hayward
6. Lowry
7. Millsap

Tier 3
Gay
Redick
Bogut

Tier 4
Noel
Ibaka
Gallinari
Schroder

Tier 5
KO
Gibson
Jones
Porter

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 05:02:55 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd imagine that one plausible off-season would be to sign Hayward, re-sign Olynyk, then either trade for someone like Kosta Koufos or Tyson Chandler or figure out a way to sign someone like Taj Gibson while bringing in Zizic and/or finding a way to bring back Amir Johnson or Jonas Jerebko for cheap to round out the big man rotation.  I haven't done the cap math, but it can probably be made to work.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 05:49:51 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but I just don't see Hayward or Griffin leaving their current teams.

Hayward is currently averaging 23 points, 4 assists, and 7 rebounds per game. He's scored 30+ in each of his last three games as well.

The Jazz may look to build around Hayward, and if Jazz have a solid season, Hayward could settle down with the Jazz (re-sign for more $$$ as well), and the Jazz would have their sights on making moves to revolve around Hayward. (So far the Jazz are 12-9 I believe, pretty good)

Clippers look like they will be a 3-4 seed, and I doubt Griffin leaves LA (He LOVES LA as well). After that... no one else really intrigues me especially considering some of these guys may get max-contracts or near-max thanks to the NBA market today...

I guess we could get Ibaka, Bogut OR Noel as a "back-up FA option". Adding Millsap makes us the new Atlanta Hawks though... (Horford, Millsap, and instead of Teague you have Isaiah)...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 05:59:45 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but I just don't see Hayward or Griffin leaving their current teams.

Hayward is currently averaging 23 points, 4 assists, and 7 rebounds per game. He's scored 30+ in each of his last three games as well.

The Jazz may look to build around Hayward, and if Jazz have a solid season, Hayward could settle down with the Jazz (re-sign for more $$$ as well), and the Jazz would have their sights on making moves to revolve around Hayward. (So far the Jazz are 12-9 I believe, pretty good)

Clippers look like they will be a 3-4 seed, and I doubt Griffin leaves LA (He LOVES LA as well). After that... no one else really intrigues me especially considering some of these guys may get max-contracts or near-max thanks to the NBA market today...

I guess we could get Ibaka, Bogut OR Noel as a "back-up FA option". Adding Millsap makes us the new Atlanta Hawks though... (Horford, Millsap, and instead of Teague you have Isaiah)...
I agree don't see us landing Hayward or Griffin besides a miracle scenario taking place. Honestly what we should do is trade for Noel because he is from Boston, fits well with our team, and could potentially take a hometown discount. At least with him we could end up with the rights to match any offer he would get in the offseason.

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 05:59:54 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'd imagine that one plausible off-season would be to sign Hayward, re-sign Olynyk, then either trade for someone like Kosta Koufos or Tyson Chandler or figure out a way to sign someone like Taj Gibson while bringing in Zizic and/or finding a way to bring back Amir Johnson or Jonas Jerebko for cheap to round out the big man rotation.  I haven't done the cap math, but it can probably be made to work.
I can but marvel at the idea that someone wants Kosta Koufos. Haven't we all seen enough of Tyler Zeller yet?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 06:01:08 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I agree don't see us landing Hayward or Griffin besides a miracle scenario taking place. Honestly what we should do is trade for Noel because he is from Boston, fits well with our team, and could potentially take a hometown discount. At least with him we could end up with the rights to match any offer he would get in the offseason.

Depends on the Sixers asking price (looks like it isn't cheap). Also, Ainge may still be willing to wait out the season because you never know.. maybe Hayward and Griffin do become available. Ainge wouldn't want to have cap issues if it got to that point (since Noel has a cap hold I believe).

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 06:14:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Unfortunately I don't think any of my top 7 ranked guys will leave their current teams. Each is set for max deals.

So honestly I'd be happy to get Redick for 4 years $48 million total.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 06:16:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Unfortunately I don't think any of my top 7 ranked guys will leave their current teams. Each is set for max deals.

So honestly I'd be happy to get Redick for 4 years $48 million total.

I'd rather Bogut. Can rebound and play some defense. That's a BIG need for this team (size and rebounding late in games)

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 06:42:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
B.Griffin
P.Millsap
N.Noel
S.Ibaka

In that order.

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 07:03:01 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Not sure it's worth saving cap space if a deal comes along to shore up the front line.

Yikes do we need a rebounding big.

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 07:07:13 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
A Blake Griffin-Al Horford frontcourt would be eerily reminiscent of the 01-02 Kings' duo of Webber and Divacs from my favorite team of all time. Oh boy, if you don't like the thought of that, you don't like Celtics basketball! 

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 07:15:31 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I think Hayward is much more attainable than people think. However, he shouldn't be our first priority at all - a big should be.

I just don't see a big outside of Griffin that will be worth the money they get this summer, and I don't see Griffin leaving LA, like at all.

My list goes:

1. Noel
2A. Milsap
2B. Ibaka
3. Hayward and go small (ugghh I've had enough of this small ball crap already)
4. Gibson

I would still much rather have a trade for Boogie, though, which I still think is possible though others are trying to rain on that parade.