Author Topic: What's up with the Hawks?  (Read 5927 times)

Re: What's up with the Hawks?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 11:33:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Didn't they also lose DeMarre Carrol?

Mike

They lost him before last season.  They obviously took a bit of a tumble then, but he wouldn't explain their very poor performance the last few weeks.

I think the Hawks surprised teams at the beginning of the year but then fell off the cliff. It's a long year, The Lakers seemed to have come back earth as well. The Knicks seem to have steadied their ship and could be dangerous in the playoffs.

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 11:40:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Dey SUCK

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 11:46:37 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Its pretty obvious Dennis Schroder is just not anywhere near as good as Jeff Teague in the half court.  That has been the Hawks biggest problem.  Nobody respects his jump shot so defenders just stick with Dwight in the PnR and sag off Schroder.

Also, they have no secondary play maker with Millsap out, and the wings (Korver, Bazemore, Sefalosha) have been mediocre at best, and much worse than in seasons past.  Not much bench help either outside of Hardaway Jr and Muscala, who have both been "just ok".

Lazy people will blame Dwight because he's the easy target, and people don't like him, but he hasn't really been the problem at all.  I mean, they obviously miss Horford's passing and shooting, but I think it's been a pretty even trade off in what they've gained in rebounding and paint presence.

This is true. I haven't got to watch much of the Hawks this year, but Dwight seems to be doing pretty well.

However, my problem was this with them this summer - they were already a strong defensive team that had offensive issues, so what do they do? They let Al go and signed Dwight to increase their interior defense and rebounding but lose out on Al's perimeter defense, shooting, and playmaking, which was needed the most with losing Teague. What's funniest is that Horford is now averaging over a block and three assists more than Howard, and he's shooting a blistering 42% from the three!

It seems that they just went purely for the "name" of Howard without even thinking of where they needed actual help. They'd be much better off right now with Horford than Howard.

I must say, though, I'm kind of wishing we got both Howard and Horford right now. That would be a deadly, deadly combination. And Howard is almost exactly what we need right now - a rebounding, post scoring, and rim protecting presence.

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 12:05:20 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Its pretty obvious Dennis Schroder is just not anywhere near as good as Jeff Teague in the half court.  That has been the Hawks biggest problem.  Nobody respects his jump shot so defenders just stick with Dwight in the PnR and sag off Schroder.

Also, they have no secondary play maker with Millsap out, and the wings (Korver, Bazemore, Sefalosha) have been mediocre at best, and much worse than in seasons past.  Not much bench help either outside of Hardaway Jr and Muscala, who have both been "just ok".

Lazy people will blame Dwight because he's the easy target, and people don't like him, but he hasn't really been the problem at all.  I mean, they obviously miss Horford's passing and shooting, but I think it's been a pretty even trade off in what they've gained in rebounding and paint presence.

This is true. I haven't got to watch much of the Hawks this year, but Dwight seems to be doing pretty well.

However, my problem was this with them this summer - they were already a strong defensive team that had offensive issues, so what do they do? They let Al go and signed Dwight to increase their interior defense and rebounding but lose out on Al's perimeter defense, shooting, and playmaking, which was needed the most with losing Teague. What's funniest is that Horford is now averaging over a block and three assists more than Howard, and he's shooting a blistering 42% from the three!

It seems that they just went purely for the "name" of Howard without even thinking of where they needed actual help. They'd be much better off right now with Horford than Howard.

I must say, though, I'm kind of wishing we got both Howard and Horford right now. That would be a deadly, deadly combination. And Howard is almost exactly what we need right now - a rebounding, post scoring, and rim protecting presence.

They should send Howard on over for Zeller.

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 12:30:35 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
However, my problem was this with them this summer - they were already a strong defensive team that had offensive issues, so what do they do? They let Al go and signed Dwight to increase their interior defense and rebounding but lose out on Al's perimeter defense, shooting, and playmaking, which was needed the most with losing Teague.

TP. this is practically exactly how I felt regarding the Hawks replacing Horford with Dwight. The spacing and shooting was so effective for them, and now Budenholzer has to rebuild the entire offense around Dwight and his poor spacing.

I also wish we had both of them, but i dont know if it would have even been possible, salary-wise.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 12:35:46 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
However, my problem was this with them this summer - they were already a strong defensive team that had offensive issues, so what do they do? They let Al go and signed Dwight to increase their interior defense and rebounding but lose out on Al's perimeter defense, shooting, and playmaking, which was needed the most with losing Teague.

TP. this is practically exactly how I felt regarding the Hawks replacing Horford with Dwight. The spacing and shooting was so effective for them, and now Budenholzer has to rebuild the entire offense around Dwight and his poor spacing.

I also wish we had both of them, but i dont know if it would have even been possible, salary-wise.

Well remember we were offering Durant the max to add to the max contract we had given Horford so I think the Celtics could have made it work salary-wise. Hell, they probably still could make it work salary wise if Atlanta puts Dwight on the market.

Johnson+Zeller+Rozier I believe works.

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 12:40:14 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Atlanta always had the inside track on Howard since he played his high school ball there. Howard was trying to reset his career and I really doubt he was trying to get involved with the Boston sports media crucible when he could just go home and be surrounded by his friends and family,

Horford/Howard would be nice but then Horford would be nice with a lot of centers, we still have a mountain of assets to throw at guys like Derrick Favors, Marc Gasol, and and of course Boogie. Maybe Blake Griffin becomes available if the Clippers regress. Lamarcus Aldridge just seems like an awkward fit out there, maybe there's a deal to be made.

Point is that Howard would be a good here but I think there are plenty of options out there to suggest that our next starting frontcourt player is currently on a different roster.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 01:07:18 AM by Smartacus »

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 12:48:40 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Well remember we were offering Durant the max to add to the max contract we had given Horford so I think the Celtics could have made it work salary-wise. Hell, they probably still could make it work salary wise if Atlanta puts Dwight on the market.

Johnson+Zeller+Rozier I believe works.

oh yeah, duh, lol. idk why i forgot that part
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 01:21:12 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Haha.  I love your "anyone but Dwight's fault" take.  Of course.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 02:53:00 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

Haha.  I love your "anyone but Dwight's fault" take.  Of course.

How about we crunch the numbers on Dwight Howard's team impact and individual stats? See what conclusions we can draw from them.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 05:01:12 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
@Dwight Haters Dwight and milsap and the two reasons why the hawks aren't on pace to be a ~30 win team
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 09:47:04 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Dwight's not exactly having a bad year.

Schroder has been just OK.  He's on the lower end of starting point guards.

If anything, I'd blame their lack of shot creation on the wings.  Korver, Bazemore, Thabo, Hardaway is probably not enough to juice an offense that lacks any really great individual scorers.

I'm surprised by the Hawks' sudden dropoff.  They looked really good to start the season, and now have looked equally bad over the last 10.  That's surprising for a Coach Bud team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 10:08:26 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The Hawks went from making me look very smart to making me look very stupid over the course of 10 games.  Gee, thanks, guys...  >:( >:( >:(
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 10:19:38 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Hawks went from making me look very smart to making me look very stupid over the course of 10 games.  Gee, thanks, guys...  >:( >:( >:(

Right there with ya bud.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 10:26:50 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I was thinking Dwight had turned the corner too. This turmoil will show his true colors. It makes me appreciate how well the Celtics did without Crowder and Holford. I hope the keep dropping myself. Teague is a winner.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek