Author Topic: What's up with the Hawks?  (Read 5926 times)

What's up with the Hawks?
« on: December 04, 2016, 03:37:01 PM »

Offline Royrebirth

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Started the season hot, but are 1-9 in last 10...

Re: What's up with the Hawks?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 04:03:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Millsap is injured which has not helped. Not sure what else is going on

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 04:10:48 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
lots of reporters believe their problems are beyond missing millsap
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 04:15:44 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The offense has gone into the toilet.

Overly dependent on Schroeder. Lack of secondary playmaking (from the wing). Lack of a quality backup PG to replace the role Schroeder has vacated (so now only 1 good PG instead of 2 good PGs since Teague was traded). Loss of Al Horford's high post passing and shooting which took pressure off of others (and lessened weakness of lack of secondary ball-handling and playmaking).

Their shooting has been a problem. Schroeder came back down to earth after a hot start. Bazemore barely making 30% of his 3s. Mike Scott has been injured. Thabo and T.Hardaway are both streaky shooters. Again, the loss of Horford has taken away an extra 3 point shooter and replaced him with a guy who can make a shot inside of 8 feet. Korver has been the only consistent 3 point shooter on the team.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 04:20:01 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Korver is old, I think Schroeder is overrated, Dwight is a prick and this whole team runs through Paul Milsap.

Havent watched any of the Hawks so this is all guesswork.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 04:22:19 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
The offense has gone into the toilet.

Overly dependent on Schroeder. Lack of secondary playmaking (from the wing). Lack of a quality backup PG to replace the role Schroeder has vacated (so now only 1 good PG instead of 2 good PGs since Teague was traded). Loss of Al Horford's high post passing and shooting which took pressure off of others (and lessened weakness of lack of secondary ball-handling and playmaking).

Their shooting has been a problem. Schroeder came back down to earth after a hot start. Bazemore barely making 30% of his 3s. Mike Scott has been injured. Thabo and T.Hardaway are both streaky shooters. Again, the loss of Horford has taken away an extra 3 point shooter and replaced him with a guy who can make a shot inside of 8 feet. Korver has been the only consistent 3 point shooter on the team.

Paul Milsap could give them that extra playmaker and shooter.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 04:25:29 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
Take away Al Horford,

Add Dwight Howard....that about says it all.

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 04:55:38 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Its pretty obvious Dennis Schroder is just not anywhere near as good as Jeff Teague in the half court.  That has been the Hawks biggest problem.  Nobody respects his jump shot so defenders just stick with Dwight in the PnR and sag off Schroder.

Also, they have no secondary play maker with Millsap out, and the wings (Korver, Bazemore, Sefalosha) have been mediocre at best, and much worse than in seasons past.  Not much bench help either outside of Hardaway Jr and Muscala, who have both been "just ok".

Lazy people will blame Dwight because he's the easy target, and people don't like him, but he hasn't really been the problem at all.  I mean, they obviously miss Horford's passing and shooting, but I think it's been a pretty even trade off in what they've gained in rebounding and paint presence.

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 05:33:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Its pretty obvious Dennis Schroder is just not anywhere near as good as Jeff Teague in the half court.  That has been the Hawks biggest problem.  Nobody respects his jump shot so defenders just stick with Dwight in the PnR and sag off Schroder.

Also, they have no secondary play maker with Millsap out, and the wings (Korver, Bazemore, Sefalosha) have been mediocre at best, and much worse than in seasons past.  Not much bench help either outside of Hardaway Jr and Muscala, who have both been "just ok".

Lazy people will blame Dwight because he's the easy target, and people don't like him, but he hasn't really been the problem at all.  I mean, they obviously miss Horford's passing and shooting, but I think it's been a pretty even trade off in what they've gained in rebounding and paint presence.
pretty good analysis

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 06:52:42 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Would you care to elaborate. Please.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 06:55:16 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Would you care to elaborate. Please.

sure.

for example, Zach Lowe said this:
Hawks are 26th in 3-pt %, 29th in turnover rate, 27th in points/possession. Missing Millsap, but issues go deeper. Telling stretch coming up
https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/805431793797255168

but Keith Smith said this:
The Hawks are down big again. They are just not getting it done on either end. Missing Millsap but it goes much deeper than that.
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/805224341558427649
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 11:03:43 PM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
they are led by Dwight Howard....

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 11:08:39 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Wow you literally nailed what I was going to say.

Korver, Millsap, and Howard are the only players keeping this drowning ship afloat.

Schroder is good, but I think most people here were vastly overrating him, by saying we wished we could've traded up to take him. I'm not that impressed with him. He's already getting the Rondo treatment, despite the fact he's supposed to be a better shooter.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 11:10:32 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Didn't they also lose DeMarre Carrol?

Mike

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 11:12:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Didn't they also lose DeMarre Carrol?

Mike

They lost him before last season.  They obviously took a bit of a tumble then, but he wouldn't explain their very poor performance the last few weeks.