Author Topic: Was Durant the Decoy? Maybe Westbrook Should be the Real Target  (Read 953 times)

Was Durant the Decoy? Maybe Westbrook Should be the Real Target
« on: December 04, 2016, 12:14:17 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I have to think that Westbrook wants to face GSW in the finals. He's been playing cool, but I imagine Durant leaving for Curry, etc. must have lit a fire under Westbrook. You can see it in his game- the guy is motivated.

He signed a 2 year extension, but barring Steven Adams and Oladipo becoming all-NBA, I don't think that he stays in OKC. He has LA roots, but does he want to play in the Pacific division? I would love to somehow get this guy onto the Celtics. I think he's a top 5 player in the NBA, and he's a top 2 competitor (with Lebron).

We could make Westbrook the best paid player in the NBA, and could give him the athletic defensive wings necessary to run the fastest team in the league. Danny and Brad want to get out and run, and there might not be a player in the NBA suited for this (ok, LBJ is pretty good too, but he's not coming to Boston).

If I'm Danny and his front office, I'm talking to this guy at every available moment without getting in trouble with the NBA. He has a specific player that he likes in the NCAA? I'm picking that guy.

Maybe I'm obsessed with the guy, but I think he's good enough to be your #1 and win a championship against less physical guards such as Curry and Irving.

Re: Was Durant the Decoy? Maybe Westbrook Should be the Real Target
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 12:18:52 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think he loves OKC and isn't going any where.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 12:20:46 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

You don't think that changes when OKC loses in the 2nd round this year and next year, while GS and Durant win 2 rings?

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 12:28:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

You don't think that changes when OKC loses in the 2nd round this year and next year, while GS and Durant win 2 rings?

I don't think OKC gets out of the first round.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 12:32:31 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Russ must understand his place in the NBA and his legacy. He has the potential to be a special player in NBA history. To do so, however, he's going to have to start collecting rings. GSW is a road block in the West. The best chance to win is in the Eastern Conference, where the best player in the NBA is getting older.

Whether or not he comes to Boston, I think Russ is gone. OKC will struggle to find top end talent, and they don't have the draft capital to get the next stud.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:38:41 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 12:23:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

But is Boston REALLY that much better than OKC right now?

Even if you add RW... I'd still think Cleveland are ahead of us (and we are on the same level as the Raptors). Just my $.02
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 12:25:57 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Why would OKC trade him?
I can't imagine Westbook on another team unless they decide to rebuild completely (which I don't see happening).
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 12:29:27 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I'm referring to 2 years from now, when he's a FA again. I don't want to trade the farm for Westbrook. That wouldn't entice him.

I want to have players like Jaylen Brown and our next pick at least a little developed before bringing in a top 5 player. IT will prob be off the books by then, so we can go after Russ and another stud player.

Westbrook doesn't come here unless we have 2 other legit All Stars.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 12:33:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm referring to 2 years from now, when he's a FA again. I don't want to trade the farm for Westbrook. That wouldn't entice him.

I want to have players like Jaylen Brown and our next pick at least a little developed before bringing in a top 5 player. IT will prob be off the books by then, so we can go after Russ and another stud player.

Westbrook doesn't come here unless we have 2 other legit All Stars.

Can the Celtics afford a max-FA by then? I thought with all the draft picks coming up (rookie contracts), and maybe a few extensions, it would become complicated to even sign just 1-max player. One reason people are on board with extending IT is because we have his Bird Rights, and same for Smart and Bradley.

It's possible this is the last summer the C's can sign a max-FA.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 12:35:39 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I would hope that the Celtics don't put themselves into a position where they signed too many role players, preventing them from signing a top player. That would be really dumb, no?

I can't imagine Danny handcuffing himself, given the amount of flexibility and draft capital that the team has.

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 01:01:52 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I am not sure I follow this.  Is the suggestion that Danny only pretended to be interested in Durant as a "decoy" to somehow mask our interest in the real target (Westbrook)? 

No sorry, I think Danny wanted to sign Durant like every other team.  I think Danny would be happy to sign Westbrook too.

Westbrook Should be the Target
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 01:17:55 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Nah, I think that Danny wanted KD more than anything.

The title wasn't meant to be taken literally. I realized it was misleading, so I changed it.

RW is my #2 (after Lebron) on the list of who I would want to go to battle with (not literally- I haven't seen him shoot a cannon or musket).