Author Topic: Avery Bradley needs to shoot more!!!  (Read 1617 times)

Re: Avery Bradley needs to shoot more!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 02:15:52 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
15.5 FGAs is a pretty healthy number. Not sure I want Avery Bradley shooting more than that. There are not many players in the league I want to see taking more than 15-16 FGAs per game. Maybe 10 guys. 15-16 FGAs is a big number.

it4 takes around 25-30 but gets to the line. a few more for AB wouldn't be a bad thing if he keeps shooting well.

IT averages 19 shots a game, Bradley 15.5.  Not that different.  I'd like to see IT's come down, and spread those around to Al, Crowder and KO.  They're more efficient.  Bradley's seem about right.

he avgs 19 counted shots. He takes 9fts a game, that's 4.5 shots. so about 25 a game. sometimes a lot more, sometimes less.

IT shoots the ball too often for my liking. I'd like to see IT scale it back towards where he was last season. I do not think it is healthy for the team to have IT using all those possessions.

I am a big believer in when players are involved on offense, they are more active in other areas of the game (defense).

This team has a couple of guys (Jae, Horford, Olynyk, Rozier) who can do a little more each to make up for those extra possessions IT is using at the moment. And I think the general well-being of the team will improve if that were to happen.

I agree, and I think IT (along with our team) benefits from him playing off the ball at times, despite it rarely happening.  He's sneaky, he's an extremely fast cutter who's great at finishing, and he seems to shoot much better off the catch than off the dribble (if defenders leave him, which they usually don't do).

Smart on the other hand, is a pretty dreadful off the ball player, who we have playing off the ball a whole bunch.  When he gets the ball in transition or with the floor spaced, he tends to get in the paint and either makes a pretty assist or puts up a nifty floater.  When he does get to the run the point, he seems to be able to the same thing with a simple screen.

I'd like to see Smart play a lot more point with the 2nd unit, and have IT/AB/Rozier/Green be more of the off-guard.  I wouldn't mind seeing it with our main unit either, as it would allow us to have Smart's defense out there without the opponents' defense helping off him as much and forcing him to take so many 3s.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 02:21:48 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
The only guy on this team that needs to shoot more is Al Horford. Bradley's shot attempts are right where I'd like to see them. Thomas should probably take a few less attempts. Nobody else should be above 10 attempts per game.

The Celtics are at their best when the shot attempts are spread around fairly evenly.

Horford needs to shoot at least 15 a game, what is he and CBS thinking so far? KO should take 10. I think Roze should shoot more. Wish JB would shoot more. Smart doesn't take a lot but as bad as he shoots he may need less. How many shots is the team taking this season? It seems like less than last season or maybe we just look slow. I was promised flying around which should lead to a bazillion possessions.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 11:20:27 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I think every good team should have some balance in FGA between their top three players. 14-16 shots per game is just fine. I think Horford needs to also get 13-14 shots per game to go with Bradley and IT's FGAs. I remember during the Pierce/KG/Allen years those guys got about 14 FGAs per game.

Teams like Houston and OKC that rely on one or two stars taking the majority of the shots limit those teams and shows they won't be successful in the playoffs.

On paper this makes sense, but the difference is that Thomas is a guy who excels at creating his own shot, and Bradley has gotten a lot better that doing that as well. 

Horford really isn't a shot creator, so he tends to score off assists or else he just takes what the defense gives him.

Horford really needs to be more aggressive in the paint to be honest.  He used to be a dominant paint scorer early in his career, now days he rarely even attempts to score in the paint unless he has a major mismatch, he tends to post up with the aim of drawing in the defense so he can kick it back out...and defenses seem to be catching on.

Horford has mostly become a jump shooter at this point his his career, which is a bit of a worry given he's just turned 30.

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 12:05:09 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Most games AB has good shot selection these days. In the past there were times when he seemed to force things, especially in the pre IT period when he was relied on to get more points and the team wasn't as strong. His trajectory of ppg seems right considering his and the team's improvement.

Overall I would like to see better shot selection across the team.