Author Topic: Trade with Sac...but not for cousins  (Read 2191 times)

Trade with Sac...but not for cousins
« on: December 04, 2016, 08:23:41 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Um hello here, I'm new here but I've been reading this blog from 2013 iirc, and I always read cousins trade ideas to fill the void we have at center. Trading for him would be great, but the assets to make the deal might actually just neutralize the effect he will have on the team. So why not just trade for a center who can defend and rebound a bit as well as score a bit in the low post? Kousta Koufos is still relatively young (aroynd 26), can do the things mentioned above, and is on a cheap contract at 8 mil a year till 2018. Instead of emptying all of our assets on cousins, I think using something like Tyler Zeller, 18 Celtics 1st and some more 2nds or even Jackson for koufos would be a much more better deal
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Re: Trade with Sac...but not for cousins
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 08:27:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Welcome!

I think trading for Koufus makes some sense, but I don't think he's a game-changer.  That's why there's always going to be more focus on Cousins, who can elevate us to another tier.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 08:41:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Koufos' contract would probably hurt next season's ability to have max cap space to sign a max level free agent. For that reason I doubt that trade makes sense. I think if Danny can't trade for a star, he is going to look for trades for players most likely on an expiring contract. Andrew Bogut, Nerlens Noel, Terrence Jones, or Michael Beasley come to mind.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 09:25:57 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Welcome to the Forums!

Hope you enjoy it here.

PS: I saw several versions in the comments. afaik it is spelled Kosta Koufos.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
I don't hate the idea at all.

But the 18 first? That's seems like a wee bit too much. Sac might be looking to shed salary if and when they tank, especially if Boogie does get dealt at the deadline and Ranadive wants to save 10mill for 2018 - so they would probably accept an expiring and the Cleveland second rounder for 2017..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 04:58:02 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Trading for Koufos seems like the sort of follow-up move that Ainge would pursue after acquiring another top player, such as after signing Gordon Hayward next summer, or offering a trade package for a scoring wing.  I could see next season's big man rotation looking like Horford, Olynyk, Koufos, Zizic, and a minimum salary veteran.  (I'd be happy to bring back Jerebko or Johnson for the room exception, but both guys produce at a level where another team should give them significantly more.)  The Cavs traded two firsts for two years of Mozgov, so maybe one likely late first for Koufos would make sense if the first domino falls.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 01:00:19 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Well I just think he'd be a good fit in boston as he defend and score a bit. He can also shoot free throws and mid range jumpshots consistently Iirc
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 01:33:24 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Greetings.

Not really sure how much of an impact Koufos would have over anyone on our current options but he'd definitely provide depth for a long playoff run. Wouldn't be opposed to the idea, in theory they could be looking to open up time for Willey Caulie-Stein and Giorgios Papagianis.

TP for the idea. Other players that might be had for the right price would be one of the Denver bigs, one of the Orlando bigs, or maybe even Washington if Gortat starts looking for a change of scenery after Ian Mahimni comes back.

I've also always wondered if Valanciunas could be had for the right price (KO + assets). Think he'd be a decent compliment to Horford and I have always got the impression that Casey dislikes his game.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 01:55:05 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I think he would really improve our team with a 7 foot body that can actually play as a traditional center instead of pseudo centers like Amir or finesse centers like Tyler Zeller.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 02:00:35 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Well I just think he'd be a good fit in boston as he defend and score a bit. He can also shoot free throws and mid range jumpshots consistently Iirc

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Koufos like a 50% free-throw shooter?

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 02:14:15 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Yeah he's now a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty shooter from the stripe in SAC, but his memphis seasons were pretty ok (60%~) so I hope his slump is because of his situation
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA