Author Topic: How can anyone be negative in the team's situation?  (Read 3886 times)

Re: How can anyone be negative in the team's situation?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 05:14:40 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Some people expected this team to be the 4th best in the NBA. They are not.

While they may be close to Toronto, both teams are pretenders. GSW, Cle, (a mile down the road) SA, and (a couple miles away) LAC are the contenders. Every other team should be building for the future, in my opinion.

This doesn't mean that teams should tank. They should play hard, develop youth, and try to win basketball games.

Keeping this in perspective has helped me to not overreact to a Detroit loss or a close game against Philly.

that's why i have fallen in love with the Lakers young core. they're getting lots of time to play and develop, and they're still playing hard and winning games. they dont need another pick; they've got their main guys and soon will be in that 40 win range. Free Agents will see that, and i wouldnt be surprised to see some big name players joining the lakers soon. almost like how Al saw us: a young, hungry core that played fun basketball and was on the upswing.

I think you've fallen a little too in love with said core.  They've gotten a bit lucky so far record-wise.  Their point differential is 5th-worst in the league -- if it stays at its current level, they'd be much more likely to finish with fewer than 30 wins than over 40.  If luck didn't exist, they'd probably be 7-15 and on their way to a 27-28 win season.  Luck often evens out over 82 games.  If they don't start playing better, that's probably where they're headed.

Of course, they're a young team and might start playing better.  But right now, their record looks rather inflated.

TP

People have to look beyond the numbers at times. For instance some people said they didn't predict the precipitous drop-off in the Nets' record last year. But when you looked at the metrics like expected wins/losses it was easy to see the trend.

Addressing Green_bballers comment above, Brad and Danny have to be very careful about how they present this team. While you may think they are pretenders (I think that remains to be seen), they aren't viewed that way in the NBA. They're viewed as a very good team - on the brink of contending - and moving towards a youth development program destroys that image. That's going to hurt with prospective FAs. That may cause problems in the locker room as well. Some teams become contenders because they believe they are one. Other teams fold with those kind of expectations on them.

Remember these Celtics average 25.6 years of age. I think that makes them the 5th youngest team in the league. That's still a lot of development to go. Thus I think Brad and Danny are presenting the team in the light of being an up-and-coming contender and I think they're right to do so. They're still young, they're still improving and they still have a huge amount of valuable draft assets to allow improvements either via draft or trades.

green_bballer, your final sentence is dead-on. Perspective is the key here and a reasonable one prevents someone from over reacting whenever something good or bad happens.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 05:36:13 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
The Celtics chasing 50 wins and in that 3-7 in the EC is about right I think.  That is if we don't make a trade which I think we will

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2016, 12:42:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

While they may be close to Toronto, both teams are pretenders. GSW, Cle, (a mile down the road) SA, and (a couple miles away) LAC are the contenders. Every other team should be building for the future, in my opinion.

This doesn't mean that teams should tank. They should play hard, develop youth, and try to win basketball games.

Keeping this in perspective has helped me to not overreact to a Detroit loss or a close game against Philly.

that's why i have fallen in love with the Lakers young core. they're getting lots of time to play and develop, and they're still playing hard and winning games. they dont need another pick; they've got their main guys and soon will be in that 40 win range. Free Agents will see that, and i wouldnt be surprised to see some big name players joining the lakers soon. almost like how Al saw us: a young, hungry core that played fun basketball and was on the upswing.

I think you've fallen a little too in love with said core.  They've gotten a bit lucky so far record-wise.  Their point differential is 5th-worst in the league -- if it stays at its current level, they'd be much more likely to finish with fewer than 30 wins than over 40.  If luck didn't exist, they'd probably be 7-15 and on their way to a 27-28 win season.  Luck often evens out over 82 games.  If they don't start playing better, that's probably where they're headed.

Of course, they're a young team and might start playing better.  But right now, their record looks rather inflated.
The Lakers also had a very easy schedule early in the year and have come back down when the schedule strength increased.  Still they should feel pretty good about their future.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 12:50:05 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

The Lakers also had a very easy schedule early in the year and have come back down when the schedule strength increased.  Still they should feel pretty good about their future.

Or did losing their best player and one of his primary backups screw them over?
You can't keep repeating something and hope it becomes true.

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2016, 05:07:43 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
The Celtics chasing 50 wins and in that 3-7 in the EC is about right I think.  That is if we don't make a trade which I think we will

And more importantly, Horford clearly made the right move to come here (where the future is at least somewhat bright) versus stay in ATL.

Cs have lost a few close games they could have won, probably could be 13-8 or max 14-7 right now.  Stay at or above .600 win pct.

We are fine.

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2016, 06:59:40 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Purgatory

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2016, 07:49:33 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Purgatory

Not with 2 lottery picks coming up. There's also the 2017 and 2018 free agency.

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2016, 08:06:42 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Purgatory

Not with 2 lottery picks coming up. There's also the 2017 and 2018 free agency.

Yes this is pretty silly. We have a legit shot of getting the number 1 pick and going to the playoffs. How is that purgatory?