Author Topic: IT goes 6-21  (Read 2311 times)

IT goes 6-21
« on: December 03, 2016, 09:12:14 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Just look at his TSP instead some fans say

Well he is like 75th on that list last time I looked, while Crowder is in the top 20

IT has to stop carelessly shooting the ball. Hard to blame him totally on this as CBS lets this happen.  6-21 , 7-20, 5-17 etc. He is shooting at 42 percent and 33 percent at the 3 pt line. 

Re: IT goes 6-21
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 09:19:12 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Just look at his TSP instead some fans say

Well he is like 75th on that list last time I looked, while Crowder is in the top 20

IT has to stop carelessly shooting the ball. Hard to blame him totally on this as CBS lets this happen.  6-21 , 7-20, 5-17 etc. He is shooting at 42 percent and 33 percent at the 3 pt line.

Those are his normal shooting numbers. Our offense does rely on him forcing the issue.

That being said, he has been forcing it a bit. At the same time, I'd rather Rozier, Horford, Crowder, and Olynyk force it some more.

He is getting the ball when the offense breaks down, and everyone is expecting him to make a play. That's tough.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 09:23:28 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Think of those misses as less open threes and mid jumpers for others if his drive threat wasn't so extreme. Our 3pt% is actually middle of the road, which is remarkable, considering our only really good shooter is Jonas, and Avery to a lesser extent..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 09:37:57 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thats IT. He has to take those long shots along with others so that the paint opens up and he can drive. He is the only player on this team that gets to the line consistently and the Cs need that. While it means he isnt trendously efficient, he is the only player on this team that can create offense because of the threat of his shooting outside.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 10:12:29 AM »

Offline JaylenBrown7

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
His finger still aint right thats it

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 10:38:47 AM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
His finger still aint right thats it

I think this has a lot to do with it, but even when healthy IT has plenty of games where he shoots like this.

IT is the best individual source of offense we have, but he is a chucker even when healthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOhvYhyzKjM

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 11:34:42 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
We need Isaiah to be putting up shots and driving the offense because he's the only guy we have with the individual ability to create buckets, so sometimes a night like that happens. It's obvious that finger ain't right. He's not a 30% 3pt shooter.

Plus, there's the standard 3 or 4 IT gets mauled driving with no call plays that happens every game

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 12:33:40 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I think IT is a top 10 electric player in the NBA. At 5'9, he is the definition of over-achiever.

Let's complain about his shooting in a game that the Celtics won.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 01:08:44 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Thomas has scored at least 18 points in every game.  A player who consistently gives you 20 points every night is going to have games like 6-21.  The good thing about Thomas is that he doesn't have those sort of nights as often as other players in similar roles.  If we look at TS%, he isn't in Steph Curry's league, but he does better than guys like John Wall and Russell Westbrook.  He only puts up 85% of the shots that Westbrook does.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 01:27:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
IT 's finger hurts

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 01:51:44 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
IT 's finger hurts

well now his back is going to hurt, b/c he just pulled landscaping duty. anyone else's fingers hurt?

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 02:56:07 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
This board is dominated by knee-jerk reactions.

Isaiah certainly does need to tighten his game to maximize our chances. To me, that means a good assist to turnover ratio and not many Kobe Bryant 6-21's. Maybe his hand is hurting his shooting, but he is playing very well including on defense. I don't think Isaiah is a chucker. He gets to the line so much. Isaiah is also not that old. He was on rotten teams until he got here. He is not 30 and a finished player like Al Horford. Isaiah deserves another year (this year) to up his game. He could be one of the greatest little guys of all time. He has ice in his veins. Everyone in the league likes him. I think we'd be out of the playoffs without IT.

We have no chance at being great unless Isaiah and Horford are great. That's how basketball works. Since they are not top five players, we need others like Bradley, Smart and Olynyk to also shine. We need a healthy and productive Amir. I am enjoying this season. We are very competitive. Teams can come out slow or cold. That's where we are or were. The Celtics are working very hard right now to turn on the switch. If we win tonight against Philly, we are only two games out of first place. We could win 15 out of the next 18 games. Then what will all this knee-jerk complaining have gotten us? Will we be supposed to forget all the whining and negativity while Al healed from his concussion? What about negativity on games we win? What's up with that?

There can be a fine line between pink hats and true fans.

Someone is claiming Jae Crowder is overrated. Is that really the best spot for our thinking to be focused?

I had become worried about Marcus Smart's shooting, but last night he only took four shots. That's good. It was also one of Smart's worst games. It happens.

The Celtics are a work in progress. So much is riding on Al Horford establishing himself as a Celtic which he is well on his way to doing so.

Players such as Smart, Rozier, Crowder, Olynyk and Jerebko are on the rise.
Players such as Horford, Isaiah and Avery need to form a Big Three.
Players such as Zeller and Green need to be ready and professional just in case.
Jaylen Brown needs to stay positive and work his way back into the rotation. He is the only one who can possibly backup Jae.
Amir needs to step it up and be the advanced stats machine Danny thought he had stolen from Toronto.
We will need to fasten our seat belts when the trading deadline approaches.

What we need most is to give this team another 20 games before pigeon-holing it as such and such.

Brad Stevens needs to tighten his game. It would have been his fault if we lost last night. His substitutions in the first half were awful and showed no consistency. Make a decision and stick to it. Don't use five bigs for a rotation. This type of experimenting leads to player doubt. Pick two between Olynyk, Zeller and Jerebko and don't look back. If it turns out a trade is needed or the guy left on the bench should replace one of the other two, then so be it.

Brad did seem to wake up in the second half with a tightened rotation. No more than 11 players should play in a game and 10 seems to be the best number for regular season games. Otherwise, there is no continuity.

Be very careful going small. I noticed sometimes players couldn't figure out who to switch to because there were too many small Celtics on the floor at once.

It looked like Brad finally woke up because he stopped playing rotation games. He should not have brought in Zeller first in the first half. He should not be playing Jerebko, Olynyk and Zeller in the same game. Didn't he learn anything from the Brandan Wright era?

A long time ago I read an article on Brad's philosophy of coaching. He said nine or ten players are a team's rotation and the others have to be good teammates on the bench. Brad needs to be consistent with his own philosophy. And he is getting there as Gerald Green has had his butt stapled to the DNP-CD section of the bench.

I have no clue why James Young was put into the game. My philosophy would be to create a core rotation and stick to it. Then all the other players become Phil Pressey. Be ready. Work hard in practice. Then when parts of the core rotation are injured or having off games, then go to the deep bench as necessary. And don't put all these players on the rotation bubble in at once. That's just asking the other team to chop into the hard worked lead produced by the starters.

If I were Olynyk or Zeller, I'd be very confused at this point. Everyone wants to feel like a part of the team and contribute, but you only need ten guys. If you keep stretching the rotation like Brad does, it starts to feel like a scrimmage.

That should have been an easier win last night. Thankfully a win is a win. Thankfully Brad Stevens does seem to be settling and about to make some tough choices.

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 03:05:55 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

Isaiah certainly does need to tighten his game to maximize our chances. To me, that means a good assist to turnover ratio and not many Kobe Bryant 6-21's. Maybe his hand is hurting his shooting, but he is playing very well including on defense. I don't think Isaiah is a chucker. He gets to the line so much. Isaiah is also not that old. He was on rotten teams until he got here. He is not 30 and a finished player like Al Horford. Isaiah deserves another year (this year) to up his game. He could be one of the greatest little guys of all time. He has ice in his veins. Everyone in the league likes him. I think we'd be out of the playoffs without IT.

We have no chance at being great unless Isaiah and Horford are great. That's how basketball works. Since they are not top five players, we need others like Bradley, Smart and Olynyk to also shine. We need a healthy and productive Amir. I am enjoying this season. We are very competitive. Teams can come out slow or cold. That's where we are or were. The Celtics are working very hard right now to turn on the switch. If we win tonight against Philly, we are only two games out of first place. We could win 15 out of the next 18 games. Then what will all this knee-jerk complaining have gotten us? Will we be supposed to forget all the whining and negativity while Al healed from his concussion? What about negativity on games we win? What's up with that?

Someone is claiming Jae Crowder is overrated. Is that really the best spot for our thinking to be focused?

I had become worried about Marcus Smart's shooting, but last night he only took four shots. That's good. It was also one of Smart's worst games. It happens.

The Celtics are a work in progress. So much is riding on Al Horford establishing himself as a Celtic which he is well on his way to doing so.

Players such as Zeller and Green need to be ready and professional just in case.
Jaylen Brown needs to stay positive and work his way back into the rotation. He is the only one who can possibly backup Jae.
Amir needs to step it up and be the advanced stats machine Danny thought he had stolen from Toronto.

What we need most is to give this team another 20 games before pigeon-holing it as such and such.

Brad Stevens needs to tighten his game. It would have been his fault if we lost last night. His substitutions in the first half were awful and showed no consistency. Make a decision and stick to it. Don't use five bigs for a rotation. This type of experimenting leads to player doubt. Pick two between Olynyk, Zeller and Jerebko and don't look back. If it turns out a trade is needed or the guy left on the bench should replace one of the other two, then so be it.

Brad did seem to wake up in the second half with a tightened rotation. No more than 11 players should play in a game and 10 seems to be the best number for regular season games. Otherwise, there is no continuity.

Be very careful going small. I noticed sometimes players couldn't figure out who to switch to because there were too many small Celtics on the floor at once.

It looked like Brad finally woke up because he stopped playing rotation games. He should not have brought in Zeller first in the first half. He should not be playing Jerebko, Olynyk and Zeller in the same game. Didn't he learn anything from the Brandan Wright era?

A long time ago I read an article on Brad's philosophy of coaching. He said nine or ten players are a team's rotation and the others have to be good teammates on the bench. Brad needs to be consistent with his own philosophy. And he is getting there as Gerald Green has had his butt stapled to the DNP-CD section of the bench.

I have no clue why James Young was put into the game. My philosophy would be to create a core rotation and stick to it. Then all the other players become Phil Pressey. Be ready. Work hard in practice. Then when parts of the core rotation are injured or having off games, then go to the deep bench as necessary. And don't put all these players on the rotation bubble in at once. That's just asking the other team to chop into the hard worked lead produced by the starters.

If I were Olynyk or Zeller, I'd be very confused at this point. Everyone wants to feel like a part of the team and contribute, but you only need ten guys. If you keep stretching the rotation like Brad does, it starts to feel like a scrimmage.

That should have been an easier win last night. Thankfully a win is a win. Thankfully Brad Stevens does seem to be settling and about to make some tough choices.

Verbal diarrhea.

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 03:19:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
That's a normal night for Isaiah. He is who he is. A volume scorer who buttresses his shooting percentages with plenty of trips to the line.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 03:22:28 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247

Verbal diarrhea.

This is off-topic, but how does one report another user for breaking the rules?