Author Topic: Celtics (11-8) at Sixers (4-15) Game #20 12/3/16  (Read 57635 times)

Re: Celtics (11-8) at Sixers (4-15) Game #20 12/3/16
« Reply #525 on: December 04, 2016, 02:45:38 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Full Game Highlights.

https://youtu.be/4lquC-LhKa4

« Reply #526 on: December 04, 2016, 03:23:12 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Saric already better than Smart and has a higher ceiling. What pick was he by Philly?

No, he isn't. He's having a hot game, but Smart is far superior on D, and they're both below average on O.

He was #12 overall

I think for this system Saric is a better fit. Call me crazy, but it's true

Another over reaction to a player who has a good game against us but is having a below average season.
This is his first season n the NBA right? You don't see his skills for a player his size?

He's played professionally for years over in Europe... He's not getting any better - this is what you get with him.

What?!?? How does this make sense? So European players don't improve?

No, not when they have that type of background. Look at Mirotic who had a pretty similar context to Saric with his background and age coming into the NBA - he's not getting any better either.

American college players develop for years after coming in because they get older/stronger and they learn the professional game, which is much, much different than college ball. The same can't be said for European players who come here at age 22 and have already been playing professional ball for years.
Mirotic was picked in the same draft as Lamarcus Aldridge. He came into the league at like 25/26 there is no comparison between the two besides that they are both European and they shoot 3s. Saric is a better playmaker, shooter, and for now a better rebounder. He fits today's NBA a lot better as a playmaking 4. Saric is 22. To say that is ridiculous. Yeah Giannis never improved even though he's been playing basketball since he was like 8 at least. Dirk never improved. Europeans don't improve once they get into the NBA.

????

LMA was drafted in 2006 draft. 5 years before even Mirotic got drafted.

Saric can still improve at 23 yet, Smart, a year younger than him already reached his ceiling?
I never said that, but players that have reached the league and have had 3 years to just slightly improve over time show it or max out at the player they are. Smart will improve, but I don't believe he has the same ceiling as Saric based on the fact that Smart has shown minimal improvement at all thus far in his career. People were making this same argument for James Young by the way

Some people are late bloomers. You can't really judge young players until they reach the age of 25-27. Just look at Bradley. Does anyone really expected him to average 17PPG this season? No, and he was way worse than Smart when he first came in the league. Took him 6 years to develop his game.

Star players that bloomed later in their careers:

Kyle Lowry
Hassan Whiteside
Chauncey Billups
Jermaine O'neal
Paul Millsap

Im not saying Smart will be a star, but never count that out as a possibility. Whether he reach it or not, as long as he makes All-Defensive team on regular basis, I think the pick is well used. Hell, we may even see Bradley as an All-Star this year if he keep up his stats up to February. Even guys like Jamaal Magloire and Kyle Korver managed to get a nod for an All-Star appearance.

There are also players who became stars without a shooting like Rondo or John Wall.
See I comletely agree with this!! I'm not disputing this. I'm disputing the fact that European player can't ever improve on what he is after coming over at the ripe age of 22. I'll paint it this way. Saric has played top tier level European Basketball for about 2 years with Anadolu Efes in Israel which by far is not even close to as good as NBA basketball. Smart has played 3 years in the NBA and hasn't had any massive improvements in his game. So according to your boy experience in lesser competition, in his example college, doesn't mean as much as experience in Europe. Wouldn't that mean experience in even the best European leagues doesn't mean as much as Smart's experience in the pros because it's a worse league. And therefore according to his logic that means Saric can improve because he was playing in a lesser league and has plenty to learn in the NBA and plenty of skills to build off of. And also by his logic that means Smart is maxed out because he's played more years with better competition.

I don't really deny that Saric can still improve. Ginobili entered the league at the age 23 (I think?) and he also came from Euroleague.

I don't really support his logic, but if people already count Smart as a bust and Saric as a future star, then all I see are double-standards.
Go check out basketball reference he definitely came in at 25.  I'll I'm trying to say is by that logic that's how it is then. He's pretty much arguing the same argument for Saric for Smart. Smart will improve and Saric will improve. Thats what players do at 22/23 and are young players that haven't even grown into their roles on their teams let alone achieved their maximum potenial skill-wise.

No, no, no - once again you're just trying to twist the argument to fit your narrative. Smart and Saric have totally different backgrounds, because college ball is not equivalent to professional ball, even overseas. They're two totally different games.

Further, the only thing that people really expect Smart to develop from here on out is his shooting, which is well documented throughout NBA history that players can improve upon. We've already seen that his passing, playmaking, and ballhandling have all bettered since coming into the league, and he's really just lacking a reliable jumpshot to be a well-rounded two-way player. What's more, most of the development talk with Smart is just actually being able to run the point, which Brad has largely not had him do in his tenure here.

So, no, once again these are completely different contexts and examples, like I've said all along.

You said that because Saric has played pro ball in Europe he's completely maximized his talent. So by that logic since both Smart and Saric have both played pro ball for 2 years, Saric has played in a league that is a complete step down from the NBA in Israel, and are going into their 3rd year that both of them have maxed out as players right? By the way just because he has played pro ball doesn't mean it's top tier basketball. Until players start playing with teams like Anadolu Efes, CC Zibona, and Real Madrid, the competition is about as good as college competition or worse.  To say that all European pro ball is equivalent is very naive. You watch tape of Saric and Porzingis when they were overseas and before they were drafted and played "pro ball" and it is a huge step down from collegiate basketball (Unless it's the Olympics or FIBA).

Edit:
By the way Porzingis played 3 more years of "pro ball" than Marcus before he was drafted and I don't think anyone here would argue that KP has "maxed out his potential" and can't improve anymore.

Sigh. Porzingis was also drafted at 19, which is consistent with what I've been saying this entire time about OLDER rookies.  ::)

Really struggling to comprehend the argument, huh?

« Reply #527 on: December 04, 2016, 03:26:28 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Saric already better than Smart and has a higher ceiling. What pick was he by Philly?

No, he isn't. He's having a hot game, but Smart is far superior on D, and they're both below average on O.

He was #12 overall

Another over reaction to a player who has a good game against us but is having a below average season.
This is his first season n the NBA right? You don't see his skills for a player his size?

He's played professionally for years over in Europe... He's not getting any better - this is what you get with him.

No, not when they have that type of background. Look at Mirotic who had a pretty similar context to Saric with his background and age coming into the NBA - he's not getting any better either.

American college players develop for years after coming in because they get older/stronger and they learn the professional game, which is much, much different than college ball. The same can't be said for European players who come here at age 22 and have already been playing professional ball for years.
Mirotic was picked in the same draft as Lamarcus Aldridge. He came into the league at like 25/26 there is no comparison between the two besides that they are both European and they shoot 3s. Saric is a better playmaker, shooter, and for now a better rebounder. He fits today's NBA a lot better as a playmaking 4. Saric is 22. To say that is ridiculous. Yeah Giannis never improved even though he's been playing basketball since he was like 8 at least. Dirk never improved. Europeans don't improve once they get into the NBA.

????

Saric can still improve at 23 yet, Smart, a year younger than him already reached his ceiling?
I never said that, but players that have reached the league and have had 3 years to just slightly improve over time show it or max out at the player they are. Smart will improve, but I don't believe he has the same ceiling as Saric based on the fact that Smart has shown minimal improvement at all thus far in his career. People were making this same argument for James Young by the way

Some people are late bloomers. You can't really judge young players until they reach the age of 25-27. Just look at Bradley. Does anyone really expected him to average 17PPG this season? No, and he was way worse than Smart when he first came in the league. Took him 6 years to develop his game.

Kyle Lowry
Hassan Whiteside
Chauncey Billups
Jermaine O'neal
Paul Millsap

Im not saying Smart will be a star, but never count that out as a possibility. Whether he reach it or not, as long as he makes All-Defensive team on regular basis, I think the pick is well used. Hell, we may even see Bradley as an All-Star this year if he keep up his stats up to February. Even guys like Jamaal Magloire and Kyle Korver managed to get a nod for an All-Star appearance.

There are also players who became stars without a shooting like Rondo or John Wall.
See I comletely agree with this!! I'm not disputing this. I'm disputing the fact that European player can't ever improve on what he is after coming over at the ripe age of 22. I'll paint it this way. Saric has played top tier level European Basketball for about 2 years with Anadolu Efes in Israel which by far is not even close to as good as NBA basketball. Smart has played 3 years in the NBA and hasn't had any massive improvements in his game. So according to your boy experience in lesser competition, in his example college, doesn't mean as much as experience in Europe? Wouldn't that mean experience in even the best European leagues doesn't mean as much as Smart's experience in the pros because it's a worse league. And therefore according to his logic that means Saric can improve because he was playing in a lesser league and has plenty to learn in the NBA and plenty of skills to build off of? And also by his logic that means Smart is maxed out because he's played more years with better competition.

I see that we're really twisting and stretching the evidence to fit our narrative.

We're not even into a quarter of the third year since Smart was drafted, who has only played a total of 144 games - not even two full seasons worth, yet Smart has three full years of experience? Further, Saric has played professional ball since 2012 in the Adriatic League before Anadolu Efes, so you can't just discount that to try and fit your narrative... And professional ball is not the same as American college ball, so trying to equate the two is a major false analogy.

Look, all I'm saying is that Saric is not a regular rookie - he's much older and much more experienced. People expecting him to make some sort of major improvement with time are just kidding themselves, because he's largely already developed due to his experience in professional ball. Sure, he'll improve some as he gets more acclimated to the NBA game, and there's no doubt about that. But for the most part these types of players do not make the types of jumps that rookies from college make. They're already physically developed and have developed their games in years of professional play already, so there's just not much more that they can do to develop.

Nice job of going back and editting your post to make it sound better  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:.
You originally said that he won't improve because he's fully developed from playing Euro ball. You can compare the quality of basketball of college to overseas and even then it's tough to tell which is better in some cases. If the quality of basketball was that much better overseas for foreign players then why wouldn't foreign players get drafted higher more often? Because clearly if you are a standout with dramatically better competition than you theoretically should go above the American prospects and their weak college game right?

He's older than the average rookie, but how is he old comparatively? He's just as old as Smart and if you are willing to state the fact that Smart has plenty of time to get dramatically better at 22 than I don't know how you can completely discount Saric getting dramatically better? He played pro so what? He's still young and has plenty of deficiencies in his game that he can improve on. Smart has had all the resources at his disposal to improve as a player in both the collegiate basketball and NBA scenes. If he still can't shoot after playing roughly 12+ years of basketball than I find it hard to believe that he will get much better than league average.

There is no, if any, statistic correlation with the age of European rookies and how they develop over time. Unless of course you are mentioning like Prigioni and MArcelo Huertas which are clearly different stories. Playing pro ball overseas meand yes you are more developed, but how in any logical/statistical way does it mean that you are fully developed by a player and won't dramatically improve at all?

« Reply #528 on: December 04, 2016, 06:25:12 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

He was #12 overall

????

Both are 22.  Smart, born on March 6, 1994, is actually a month older than Saric, April 8, 1994. 

« Reply #529 on: December 04, 2016, 12:03:36 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

He was #12 overall

????

Kyle Lowry
Hassan Whiteside
Chauncey Billups
Jermaine O'neal
Paul Millsap

Im not saying Smart will be a star, but never count that out as a possibility. Hell, we may even see Bradley as an All-Star this year if he keep up his stats up to February. Even guys like Jamaal McGlore and Kyle Korver managed to get a nod for an All-Star appearance.

i'm tired of people who keep discounting AB! this is his 7th season and he's been a good player for 4-5 of them on both sides! i swear, people act like it's so easy to exert all that energy on defense and still be solid on offense. it's a shame that the guy doesn't get credit for fixing his shot and still playing good d for at least all of CBS' tenure! he didn't just start playing well last season, his 6th, as you said! of course he has gotten better at more aspects but stop saying it took him 6 seasons to boost your smaht argument because it's ridiculous.

it would work just fine if you said that smaht can get better as he grows/matures, just as AB has!

Bradley never handles the ball well last season as he does now. He's also more capable of passing now, compared to last year when his pass always end up in turnovers. Yes, he is improving every year, but he's nowhere the player he is now 2-3 years ago.

no, he's more well rounded but it still doesn't change the fact that he has been solid on both sides for 4-5 seasons!

he has shot under 35% from 3 twice out of his first 6 season, first season was 0% on 5 attempts total. he has shot 40% or less on FG twice, his first season was 34% on 67 shots. shot under 75% on fts once, his first season 50% on 12 attempts. All the while playing solid or better defense! still only 26.

I'm not arguing that he's been great, but as a 19th pick  (even if the 10th pick), the dude has been a good player for more than a season and 20 games.

Good! Now let's trade him in a package for Boogie b4 Avery gets hurt again.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #530 on: December 04, 2016, 12:58:21 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
What does Saric actually do on the court that's above average? You combine his age with his limited athletic ability and his upside is definitely limited. Plus, unlike other Euro's that still needed to develop physically, Saric does not have the same issue. He's a physically mature and seasoned player that's best route for success is developing a consistent 3pt game and becoming a stretch 4.

« Reply #531 on: December 04, 2016, 12:59:44 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney

He was #12 overall

????

Kyle Lowry
Hassan Whiteside
Chauncey Billups
Jermaine O'neal
Paul Millsap

See I comletely agree with this!! I'm not disputing this. I'm disputing the fact that European player can't ever improve on what he is after coming over at the ripe age of 22. I'll paint it this way. Saric has played top tier level European Basketball for about 2 years with Anadolu Efes in Israel which by far is not even close to as good as NBA basketball. Smart has played 3 years in the NBA and hasn't had any massive improvements in his game. So according to your boy experience in lesser competition, in his example college, doesn't mean as much as experience in Europe. Wouldn't that mean experience in even the best European leagues doesn't mean as much as Smart's experience in the pros because it's a worse league. And therefore according to his logic that means Saric can improve because he was playing in a lesser league and has plenty to learn in the NBA and plenty of skills to build off of. And also by his logic that means Smart is maxed out because he's played more years with better competition.

I don't really deny that Saric can still improve. Ginobili entered the league at the age 23 (I think?) and he also came from Euroleague.

I don't really support his logic, but if people already count Smart as a bust and Saric as a future star, then all I see are double-standards.
Go check out basketball reference he definitely came in at 25.  I'll I'm trying to say is by that logic that's how it is then. He's pretty much arguing the same argument for Saric for Smart. Smart will improve and Saric will improve. Thats what players do at 22/23 and are young players that haven't even grown into their roles on their teams let alone achieved their maximum potenial skill-wise.

No, no, no - once again you're just trying to twist the argument to fit your narrative. Smart and Saric have totally different backgrounds, because college ball is not equivalent to professional ball, even overseas. They're two totally different games.

Further, the only thing that people really expect Smart to develop from here on out is his shooting, which is well documented throughout NBA history that players can improve upon. We've already seen that his passing, playmaking, and ballhandling have all bettered since coming into the league, and he's really just lacking a reliable jumpshot to be a well-rounded two-way player. What's more, most of the development talk with Smart is just actually being able to run the point, which Brad has largely not had him do in his tenure here.

So, no, once again these are completely different contexts and examples, like I've said all along.

You said that because Saric has played pro ball in Europe he's completely maximized his talent. So by that logic since both Smart and Saric have both played pro ball for 2 years, Saric has played in a league that is a complete step down from the NBA in Israel, and are going into their 3rd year that both of them have maxed out as players right? By the way just because he has played pro ball doesn't mean it's top tier basketball. Until players start playing with teams like Anadolu Efes, CC Zibona, and Real Madrid, the competition is about as good as college competition or worse.  To say that all European pro ball is equivalent is very naive. You watch tape of Saric and Porzingis when they were overseas and before they were drafted and played "pro ball" and it is a huge step down from collegiate basketball (Unless it's the Olympics or FIBA).

Edit:
By the way Porzingis played 3 more years of "pro ball" than Marcus before he was drafted and I don't think anyone here would argue that KP has "maxed out his potential" and can't improve anymore.

Sigh. Porzingis was also drafted at 19, which is consistent with what I've been saying this entire time about OLDER rookies.  ::)

Really struggling to comprehend the argument, huh?

Did you not say that because Saric has played pro ball overseas that he was maxed out? Same should be applied to Porzingis even if he's younger. Not struggling to comprehend it you just keep  changing your argument to fit your narrative becuase your original argument was this :

"He's played professionally for years over in Europe... He's not getting any better - this is what you get with him."

« Reply #532 on: December 04, 2016, 01:04:40 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
What does Saric actually do on the court that's above average? You combine his age with his limited athletic ability and his upside is definitely limited. Plus, unlike other Euro's that still needed to develop physically, Saric does not have the same issue. He's a physically mature and seasoned player that's best route for success is developing a consistent 3pt game and becoming a stretch 4.

Yes his upside is limited, but to even remotely claim that he won't improve, which was the original argument even though Jpot has tried to make his original rant look better, is ridiculous.

« Reply #533 on: December 04, 2016, 01:50:27 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Full Game Highlights.

https://youtu.be/4lquC-LhKa4
thanks for the highlights and a tp as a reward.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #534 on: December 04, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
that was a close one, phew

The ending is what is important .  I enjoyed the last few minutes the best

IT stepped on Saric s throat .....driove ,the sword in and killed the beast

« Reply #535 on: December 04, 2016, 02:32:17 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
that was a close one, phew

The ending is what is important .  I enjoyed the last few minutes the best

IT stepped on Saric s throat .....driove ,the sword in and killed the beast

TP

« Reply #536 on: December 04, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »

Offline Rivers23

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3
It's interesting too see people's thoughts on Šarić, I've been watching from his Cibona days. He's a tough competitor and he will, unlike for example Hezonja, succeed in the NBA. You have to take the fact that he is playing in Philadelphia into consideration. He will improve, but I doubt he'll ever be an all star caliber.

« Reply #537 on: December 04, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
It's interesting too see people's thoughts on Šarić, I've been watching from his Cibona days. He's a tough competitor and he will, unlike for example Hezonja, succeed in the NBA. You have to take the fact that he is playing in Philadelphia into consideration. He will improve, but I doubt he'll ever be an all star caliber.

I don't think anyone really thinks saric will be an all star. He would have been drafted earlier then end of lottery if that was true. He is probably pretty similar to KO. It is weird he is shooting 36% from the field but that just seems like a fluke. He seems like a good rebounder also. Will probably have a nice career

« Reply #538 on: December 04, 2016, 04:20:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Anyone notice IT and Okafor both had 4 rebounds? If we get a big. they HAVE to do better than that.