Author Topic: Celtics (11-8) at Sixers (4-15) Game #20 12/3/16  (Read 58271 times)

Re: Celtics (11-8) at Sixers (4-15) Game #20 12/3/16
« Reply #495 on: December 03, 2016, 10:20:24 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Every interview with Bradley preseason .....he wants to be the league MVP in defense .

Not seeing him in top 20 so far this season ....

He has disappeared

« Reply #496 on: December 03, 2016, 10:21:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Jaylen continues not to impress, but he at least contributed tonight.

I'm impressed.

« Reply #497 on: December 03, 2016, 10:21:41 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Another weird Smart fact - as terrible as his shooting was, he still led the team in +/-.

His plus minus was garbage yesterday. You say don't use rpm, but plus minus is okay?

I literally said it's a "weird Smart fact." I didn't say anything about it's accuracy, and if anything I'm calling out the stat due to it not conforming to the eye test.

Oh, and by the way, Smart is 5th in DRPM for point guards in the league, so I don't know where you're even going with that....

« Reply #498 on: December 03, 2016, 10:21:42 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I think we've seen the last of the second unit playing in its entirety. I think Stevens is going to give rest to the first unit one or two players at a time. When all of that second unit comes in together, there's little cohesion. 

Does Marcus need glasses? He wears them when he's interviewed...does he see the rim? He misses at times by a foot.

There is no reason why this game had to be this difficult. And without Embiid.

« Reply #499 on: December 03, 2016, 10:24:08 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Saric already better than Smart and has a higher ceiling. What pick was he by Philly?

No, he isn't. He's having a hot game, but Smart is far superior on D, and they're both below average on O.

He was #12 overall

I think for this system Saric is a better fit. Call me crazy, but it's true

Another over reaction to a player who has a good game against us but is having a below average season.
This is his first season n the NBA right? You don't see his skills for a player his size?

He's played professionally for years over in Europe... He's not getting any better - this is what you get with him.

Since when did playin oversees compare to the NBA? He has what 12 games under his belt in the NBA?
Exactly Smart has had 2 years in the NCAA and 3 years of exposure to the NBA and development staffs to become a better player and has had minimal improvement thus far. Saric is just reaching the NBA and getting the exposure to the pros that Smart has had for awhile now.

Once again, you guys aren't watching the same game that I'm watching if you say that Smart hasn't improved offensively. Shooting and scoring-wise that's very true, but he's dramatically improved his passing, ballhandling, and overall court vision, and it's not even close.

Further, college ball is not the NBA, and older European rookies who have been playing professional ball for years just don't have much room for development. They're already developed and know the game.

I agree on all counts.
Yeah 22 year olds don't ever improve at all. So therefore Smart isn't going to improve either right? I don't understand how Saric at 22 is an "older European" who's maximized his potential 

« Reply #500 on: December 03, 2016, 10:24:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
A win is a win. Doesn't this move us in to 3rd place in the East if the Bulls lose? We haven't even played our best ball yet. I'm excited about the possibilities of this team.

« Reply #501 on: December 03, 2016, 10:25:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Saric already better than Smart and has a higher ceiling. What pick was he by Philly?

No, he isn't. He's having a hot game, but Smart is far superior on D, and they're both below average on O.

He was #12 overall

Another over reaction to a player who has a good game against us but is having a below average season.
This is his first season n the NBA right? You don't see his skills for a player his size?

He's played professionally for years over in Europe... He's not getting any better - this is what you get with him.

Since when did playin oversees compare to the NBA? He has what 12 games under his belt in the NBA?
Exactly Smart has had 2 years in the NCAA and 3 years of exposure to the NBA and development staffs to become a better player and has had minimal improvement thus far. Saric is just reaching the NBA and getting the exposure to the pros that Smart has had for awhile now.

Once again, you guys aren't watching the same game that I'm watching if you say that Smart hasn't improved offensively. Shooting and scoring-wise that's very true, but he's dramatically improved his passing, ballhandling, and overall court vision, and it's not even close.

Further, college ball is not the NBA, and older European rookies who have been playing professional ball for years just don't have much room for development. They're already developed and know the game.

I agree on all counts.
Yeah 22 year olds don't ever improve at all. So therefore Smart isn't going to improve either right? I don't understand how Saric at 22 is an "older European" who's maximized his potential

I think they will both improve. Saric had a good game.

« Reply #502 on: December 03, 2016, 10:26:45 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76

He was #12 overall

I agree on all counts.

I do too. It's ignorant to think that a 22 year old player that is just reaching the NBA won't improve and is entirely incorrect tbh. I can almost guarantee you that Smart has had access to every tool and program that Saric has had overseas to get better

« Reply #503 on: December 03, 2016, 10:27:56 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

I'm impressed.

Me too......his energy and aggressive D help turn the tide. ......like Smart he does some very subtle things that make others play better.......he seems to attract a lot of attention with his athletic fast moves ....gets the pace up.

« Reply #504 on: December 03, 2016, 10:32:04 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

He was #12 overall

I agree on all counts.

I do too. It's ignorant to think that a 22 year old player that is just reaching the NBA won't improve and is entirely incorrect tbh. I can almost guarantee you that Smart has had access to every tool and program that Saric has had overseas to get better so to even say th

Sari's numbers so far:

24.6   3.3-9.1   .366   1.2-3.2   .367   0.9-1.4   .692   5.6   1.9   0.3   0.4   1.9   2.1   8.7

I think he will improve.

« Reply #505 on: December 03, 2016, 10:33:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I'm impressed.

Me too......his energy and aggressive D help turn the tide. ......like Smart he does some very subtle things that make others play better.......he seems to attract a lot of attention with his athletic fast moves ....gets the pace up.

I see a lot out of this kid with the way he moves and his energy. He never hangs his head like most rookies. I love to watch him play already.

« Reply #506 on: December 03, 2016, 10:38:33 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

I'm impressed.

I see a lot out of this kid with the way he moves and his energy. He never hangs his head like most rookies. I love to watch him play already.

Notice ....when he makes a couple nice plays ....his confidence and ball handling soar .....he looks great and usually plays decent the whole game . 

he has the height and jumping ability most of our team lacks ,  plus,he is fearless like Smart .....I d rather have him in on important plays already than many of our older players

« Reply #507 on: December 03, 2016, 10:41:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I'm impressed.

Notice ....when he makes a couple nice plays ....his confidence and ball handling soar .....he looks great and usually plays decent the whole game . 

he has the height and jumping ability most of our team lacks ,  plus,he is fearless like Smart .....I d rather have him in on important plays already than many of our older players

Me too! Jaylen Brown has what you can't teach and everything else will come!

« Reply #508 on: December 03, 2016, 10:41:45 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930

He was #12 overall

What?!?? How does this make sense? So European players don't improve?

No, not when they have that type of background. Look at Mirotic who had a pretty similar context to Saric with his background and age coming into the NBA - he's not getting any better either.

American college players develop for years after coming in because they get older/stronger and they learn the professional game, which is much, much different than college ball. The same can't be said for European players who come here at age 22 and have already been playing professional ball for years.
Mirotic was picked in the same draft as Lamarcus Aldridge. He came into the league at like 25/26 there is no comparison between the two besides that they are both European and they shoot 3s. Saric is a better playmaker, shooter, and for now a better rebounder. He fits today's NBA a lot better as a playmaking 4. Saric is 22. To say that is ridiculous. Yeah Giannis never improved even though he's been playing basketball since he was like 8 at least. Dirk never improved. Europeans don't improve once they get into the NBA.

Good Lord, do you even research stuff before you post? Because absolutely none of this is true.

Mirotic is only 25 RIGHT NOW, and he's been in the league for two years already with this being his third. So he didn't "come into the league at 25/26" since he's not even 26 yet.  ::) He came into the league at 23 and Saric is 22 and will turn 23 during the season, and Mirotic had 5 years of pro basketball experience where Saric had 3.5 years of pro basketball experience. So, yeah, they're very, very comparable.

Further, Giannis only played one year of professional ball before moving over here, and he came over at 18. So, once again, this is not the same situation as Saric. Of course Giannis is going to improve and develop his game, because A) he's still young and in the formative years of professional basketball (evidenced by him growing three inches since being here) and B) he only played one year of professional basketball over there. This is not the type of situation that I was talking about, which is clear to any rational person.

And though not as drastic as the Giannis example, Dirk is largely the same scenario coming over here much younger than those like Saric and Mirotic. Dirk turned 20 days before being drafted in 1998, so he was significantly younger than Saric is now, even though he played pretty much the same amount of professional European ball before the NBA.

So do research before posting and don't misrepresent my argument. All I'm saying is that generally European players like Saric who come over as older rookies who are A) significantly older than the average American rookie and B) already significantly experienced in professional basketball do not develop very much once coming over. They're pretty close to finished projects as they are, because they're not really going to get any bigger/stronger/more athletic and they've already developed their basketball skills in the professional arena.

That's not a controversial argument whatsoever.

« Reply #509 on: December 03, 2016, 10:44:35 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

He was #12 overall

What?!?? How does this make sense? So European players don't improve?

No, not when they have that type of background. Look at Mirotic who had a pretty similar context to Saric with his background and age coming into the NBA - he's not getting any better either.

American college players develop for years after coming in because they get older/stronger and they learn the professional game, which is much, much different than college ball. The same can't be said for European players who come here at age 22 and have already been playing professional ball for years.
Mirotic was picked in the same draft as Lamarcus Aldridge. He came into the league at like 25/26 there is no comparison between the two besides that they are both European and they shoot 3s. Saric is a better playmaker, shooter, and for now a better rebounder. He fits today's NBA a lot better as a playmaking 4. Saric is 22. To say that is ridiculous. Yeah Giannis never improved even though he's been playing basketball since he was like 8 at least. Dirk never improved. Europeans don't improve once they get into the NBA.

????

LMA was drafted in 2006 draft. 5 years before even Mirotic got drafted.

Saric can still improve at 23 yet, Smart, a year younger than him already reached his ceiling?