Author Topic: Overrated player: Jae Crowder  (Read 16819 times)

Re: Overrated player: Jae Crowder
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2016, 10:05:57 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

....and I didn't even mention his intangible value to this particular team.

Example: overrating Crowder.

Youre gonna have to explain what you mean.

I'd say you are. What bottom line impact does Crowder's intangibles have on a team FILLED with intangible guys? Grit and heart we have in abundance. We lack in many other areas...

My point: the constant hanging of hat on Crowder's make up is a key way he's overrated on this board.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2016, 10:55:55 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Far and away my biggest fan pet peeve.  Trash a guy then suggest we trade him.  Fans you expect to get what they give.

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2016, 11:05:29 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

....and I didn't even mention his intangible value to this particular team.

Example: overrating Crowder.

Youre gonna have to explain what you mean.

I'd say you are. What bottom line impact does Crowder's intangibles have on a team FILLED with intangible guys? Grit and heart we have in abundance. We lack in many other areas...

My point: the constant hanging of hat on Crowder's make up is a key way he's overrated on this board.

Grit and heart are exponential. You can never have enough.

That being said, I do agree we lack in many areas.

It seems like some on this board are valuing Crowder in a different way than you. You would admit that his abilities are solid and that he can play in a championship series. However, it seems like you are saying that you wish we had more talent.

People on this forum (most of us, anyway) aren't saying he is a star player, but we are saying that he is a legit two-way player capable of playing in a championship series. He is a "role-player" and a really good one at that. On top of that, he is on one of the best non-rookie contracts in the NBA. That's awesome.

Is he a nice piece? Yes. Am I happy he is a Celtic? Yes. Do I think you can rely on him to score 20 ppg and bring you a championship? No.

I wish we had more talent too, but appreciating the players we do have is not same thing as overvaluing them.

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2016, 11:07:56 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I like Jae, but would like to get more rebounds from him....

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2016, 11:20:22 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He is great value. And a big help on this team. Not a star but he can make an impact as a solid role player.

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2016, 11:24:01 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Yeah, he's terrible, that's why he's the first player mentioned teams want, when talking trades.

He's young with a team friendly contract, a good/decent shooter, a solid reliable defender. His rebounding isn't good, his passing is careless, and mostly below average. He's not a star...you're right.

He's the least of out troubles on this team.

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2016, 11:24:46 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think what nearly everyone would agree on is that it would be nice if Crowder ended up being more like James Posey was for the '08 team. Unless the team just got superstars at other positions, it would probably be the best if Crowder was a super sub, rather than a starter.

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2016, 05:05:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The rest of my post revolved entirely around all of the ways that are measurable by stats that Crowder has value.  His production, his efficiency, his bargain contract.

I didn't mention:

- How hard it is to find a two way player at Jae's position
- How consistent he is on both ends
- How he produces without needing to handle the ball very often
- How durable he is -- somebody else pointed this out already
- How he seems to add something to his game each off-season

And I still haven't gotten to the point where I'm talking about his defensive intensity and how well he fits into the team's "Nobody Thought We'd Be Any Good, Check Us Out Now" mentality.

Look, Crowder isn't a star.  He's no Bron, Durant, Kawhi, George, etc.  But he's right there with any of the non-star wings in this league.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2016, 05:09:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think what nearly everyone would agree on is that it would be nice if Crowder ended up being more like James Posey was for the '08 team. Unless the team just got superstars at other positions, it would probably be the best if Crowder was a super sub, rather than a starter.

Why?  If you're not getting a star caliber player at Jae's position, who in the league do you think you're going to put at that spot?

How many teams have superior starters at SF?

Durant, Bron, George, Kawhi, Hayward, Butler, Giannis

Melo - Debatable
Wiggins - Probably, but he's pretty one-way still

Harris, Porter, Gallo - Debatable
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2016, 05:14:38 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I am surprised that this TROST (TROLLPOST) got so much attention.

I just cannot take seriously anyone that thinks Crowder. is overrated.

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2016, 06:26:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I am surprised that this TROST (TROLLPOST) got so much attention.

I just cannot take seriously anyone that thinks Crowder. is overrated.

I have generally considered him under rated myself .

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2016, 08:26:30 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Overrated, inconsistent defender. Marginal athleticism. Injury prone. Average shooter. Undynamic offensively. Has 'heart' and a decent contract.

Dude is Cs most obvious vet trade bait. He was at the height of his value before this season.

Yup had an offer on the table for Jimmy Butler and we turned it down because Ainge didn't want to give up Crowder. Clearly his overratedness runs into our front office too

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2016, 08:48:31 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Yeah. He has the skill set and build.

Jalen is just so far away from supplanting him as a starter. A deal for a starting SF - who is out there. I could consider trade Amir and a bag of nuts for Rudy Gay.  And start Olynyk.

Bring Crowder, Smart, Jerebko, and Jaylen off the bench. Zeller for Length as needed.

I think we win a series with Gay. More of an offensive threat. Shifts Crowder to where he might belong. Smart&Crowder lead an attack bench defense.

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2016, 08:49:40 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Overrated by who?

He's an efficient scorer (13-14 points on 10-11 shots), good rebounder, good defender, good teammate on a great contract who can play multiple positions. Perfect role player.

Does he have equal talent to a Jimmy Butler? No. But nobody is saying that.

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2016, 08:51:14 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Yeah. He has the skill set and build.

Jalen is just so far away from supplanting him as a starter. A deal for a starting SF - who is out there. I could consider trade Amir and a bag of nuts for Rudy Gay.  And start Olynyk.

Bring Crowder, Smart, Jerebko, and Jaylen off the bench. Zeller for Length as needed.

I think we win a series with Gay. More of an offensive threat. Shifts Crowder to where he might belong. Smart&Crowder lead an attack bench defense.

Hopefully nobody in the front office thinks Gay is an upgrade over Crowder.