Author Topic: Overrated player: Jae Crowder  (Read 16935 times)

Re: Overrated player: Jae Crowder
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2016, 08:40:29 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

....and I didn't even mention his intangible value to this particular team.

Example: overrating Crowder.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2016, 08:42:24 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Too many respondents basing their thoughts on his contract. Underpaid does not equal underrated.

At best Crowder is a 4th, 5th, 6th guy on a championship team, yet it seems most wouldn't trade him for a considerably better player. He's a good player, but he's basically at his ceiling.

I get the attraction to his intangibles. But, IMO, he's not as valuable as Bradley, Thomas, or Horford, while his value over both Smart and Olynyk is highly debatable. JB should be able to defend at his level or better before the season is out.

Therefore, and considering that contract, I believe it makes him the most logical choice to be traded as the primary asset in any major deal Ainge may make. We'll see if I'm right. If he trades for a legit wing, Crowder will almost certainly be shipped.

One of Crowder, Bradley or Smart is almost certainly going out in any trade for a legit wing player, but that doesn't 'prove' that Jae Crowder is over rated.
If his contract isn't important to his rating then what is? He's being paid like a bench player in the NBA yet he's a starting caliber SF and is arguably a top 10 defender in the NBA when considering his versatility and difficult defensive tasks he is given basically every night against the oppositions best wing/SF. He's the guy that guards Lebron, Durant, George, DeRozan and the elite SF's of the NBA.

No one is arguing that he'll be shipped in a major deal. We're just saying he is absolutely no way 'overrated' as you say he is. He's a good shooter, excellent defender, and generally plays within his limits and sticks to what he's good at. He puts the team first and is an excellent influence in the locker room. He also gets paid $6 million a year which is peanuts and is one of the best contracts in the NBA considering he still has 2 years on that money after this season.

His contract is absolutely part of his value -- no doubt. I'm just saying I believe folks overrate his importance to the Celtics.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2016, 08:44:30 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
and maybe even AB with Rozier'a emergence.

Footnote: Rozier's emergence? Huh?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2016, 08:46:54 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Being able to be called overrated is one of the biggest compliments to Crowder's growth as a player. Two years ago he could barely be called "rated".

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2016, 08:51:13 AM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I think Crowder's contract alone makes him pretty valuable. But on a championship contending team, would he still be in the starting lineup? Or would he be coming off the bench?

Would love to hear your thoughts

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2016, 08:57:43 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Being able to be called overrated is one of the biggest compliments to Crowder's growth as a player. Two years ago he could barely be called "rated".

Very true. It's one of the reasons I think he's become a little inflated to many. "look at the stud we got for Rondo. He represents everything that was wrong with Rajon."

I feel the same in many ways, I'm just recognizing other organizations may also get this crush, should they have little toughness on their team, or problems in their locker room.

If one will give up a higher impact player for him, I'm very open to it.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2016, 08:58:49 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Overrated, inconsistent defender. Marginal athleticism. Injury prone. Average shooter. Undynamic offensively. Has 'heart' and a decent contract.

Dude is Cs most obvious vet trade bait. He was at the height of his value before this season.

Celtics' fans have a tendency to overrate players they like.  Crowder is a fan favorite, because of his hustle factor.  However,  I tend  to think he will be included in any package  for a forward or center.
One of the things that  bothers me about this years team is shot selection. Crowder has shown a great deal of skill improvement since coming to Boston. However, there are times this year where his shot selection is really questionable. I think you can like a guys grit, and at the same time want something more. On a lot of teams, he'd be coming off the bench.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2016, 09:00:21 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Overrated, inconsistent defender. Marginal athleticism. Injury prone. Average shooter. Undynamic offensively. Has 'heart' and a decent contract.

Dude is Cs most obvious vet trade bait. He was at the height of his value before this season.

Celtics' fans have a tendency to overrate players they like. Crowder is a fan favorite, because of his hustle factor.  However, I tend  to think he will be included in any package if the Celtics trade for a forward or center.

One of the things that  bothers me about this years team is shot selection. Crowder has shown a great deal of skill improvement since coming to Boston. However, there are times this year where his shot selection is really questionable. I think you can like a guys grit, and at the same time want something more. There's no question he has value. But on a lot of teams, he'd be coming off the bench.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2016, 09:01:09 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I would prefer if he had a slightly better 3-pt%, otherwise no complaints at all about Jae.
I love my wife, don't get me wrong, but if she rolled home at 3am with a Slovakian supermodel, drunk, I really think we'd be even happier.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2016, 09:07:19 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

At best Crowder is a 4th, 5th, 6th guy on a championship team, yet it seems most wouldn't trade him for a considerably better player. He's a good player, but he's basically at his ceiling.

I agree exactly that he's a 4th or 5th guy on a championship team, and think that makes him a very valuable player.  I don't think many people overrate him and think he's more than that.

If you want some sort of objective analysis, he was 6th among small forwards in RPM last year.

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2016, 09:12:57 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I agree exactly that he's a 4th or 5th guy on a championship team, and think that makes him a very valuable player.  I don't think many people overrate him and think he's more than that.

If you want some sort of objective analysis, he was 6th among small forwards in RPM last year.

That's exactly what Ainge should tell Bird when he trades him, Smart and 2 1sts for Paul George. Thought I doubt Bird overrates him (unfortunately).
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2016, 09:18:21 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Celtics' fans have a tendency to overrate players they like. Crowder is a fan favorite, because of his hustle factor.  However, I tend  to think he will be included in any package if the Celtics trade for a forward or center.

One of the things that  bothers me about this years team is shot selection. Crowder has shown a great deal of skill improvement since coming to Boston. However, there are times this year where his shot selection is really questionable. I think you can like a guys grit, and at the same time want something more. There's no question he has value. But on a lot of teams, he'd be coming off the bench.

Good post. Fixed ur quoting (I think).
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2016, 09:38:40 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I never thought of him as more than a role player... so he's not overrated to me. anyone thinking he's a 20 - 10 all star caliber player should only watch basketball and not comment.

anyway, the whole team is a bunch of role players. individually anyone of these guys would be a great fit on a contender, collectively they've run their course.

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2016, 09:55:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Crowder was a throw in in the Rondo trade and has moved himself into the top ten of two way SFs in the league. He is a locker room leader and though you wont admit it, his contract matters. But if you want to ignore that, what exactly do you think most NBA observes, not fans here but across the league think of him? When the Cs are playing on national television, the national panelists befoe the game and during playoffs and the national announcers praise him. He is not underrated. Nationally and locally people see his importance to this team and his play is necessary to the Celtics success.

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2016, 09:57:45 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

....and I didn't even mention his intangible value to this particular team.

Youre gonna have to explain what you mean.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain