Author Topic: Overrated player: Jae Crowder  (Read 16837 times)

Re: Overrated player: Jae Crowder
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 11:54:25 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I wouldn't consider "landing on rondos foot as rondo closed out too close" as injury prone.

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 11:54:41 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
All this being said, he is not a top ten SF probably.  I think he is solid and in the early teens.

One could argue that Kevin Durant, Jimmy Butler,Kawhi Leonard,    LeBron James, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Andrew Wiggins, Carmelo Anthony, Gordon Hayward, Harrison Barnes, Rudy Gay and Tobias Harris are better players than Jae.

Some think he is in that echelon, some think he is worse, I don't think he is just outside it and playing one of the most talented positions in the NBA.   He adds a toughness to the team.  Ankle surgery or no he still is not a top ten but he is not chopped liver either.   He is solid and steady.

Top 10 is such an arbitrary cut off, esp. at this position. You have Lebron, 10 yards away KD, 15 yards away Kawhi, and the other guys are a hundred yards away.

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 12:04:47 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nah he's underrated IMO - for reasons stated in this thread. And he's getting better, just now entering his prime.

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 12:16:54 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
You're overrated

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 01:10:00 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
He may be slightly overrated, but that is so insanely irrelevant given his cap hit and length of control. You simply do not trade him under any circumstances unless it is for griffin, gasol, Westbrook or George.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 01:46:52 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
As others pointed out, statistically he's above average for his position.  Then he also costs next to nothing, seems to really like where he is, and is probably a major locker room presence.

I don't know if others noticed, but with just over 5 mins left tonight, Jae started trash talking Cousins after a late/soft foul by Jae that Cousins took offense to.  That's what defines this team, right?  I think he has far exceeded career expectations and is probably pretty highly valued around the league right now.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 01:53:39 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2016, 01:55:38 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
As others pointed out, statistically he's above average for his position.  Then he also costs next to nothing, seems to really like where he is, and is probably a major locker room presence.

I don't know if others noticed, but with just over 5 mins left tonight, Jae started trash talking Cousins after a late/soft foul by Jae that Cousins took offense to.  That's what defines this team, right?  I think he has far exceeded career expectations and is probably pretty highly valued around the league right now.

Like all bullies, Cousins is a coward.

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 05:45:54 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
there are players on our roster who might be overrated, but it definitely not crowder...

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2016, 06:29:43 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Not overrated but also probably not a starting player when the rebuild is complete. I hope he isn't used in a trade and plays off the bench (still getting good minutes) when DA adds two more players.

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2016, 07:02:18 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Not overrated but also probably not a starting player when the rebuild is complete. I hope he isn't used in a trade and plays off the bench (still getting good minutes) when DA adds two more players.
If C's somehow land DMC Crowder is one of the players I really think needs to remain.  He exemplifies tough, hard-nosed play and he's the same age as DMC. Need players like Jae to be a positive influence. 

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 07:18:30 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I would prefer if he had a slightly better 3-pt%, otherwise no complaints at all about Jae.

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2016, 07:19:14 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Too many respondents basing their thoughts on his contract. Underpaid does not equal underrated.

At best Crowder is a 4th, 5th, 6th guy on a championship team, yet it seems most wouldn't trade him for a considerably better player. He's a good player, but he's basically at his ceiling.

I get the attraction to his intangibles. But, IMO, he's not as valuable as Bradley, Thomas, or Horford, while his value over both Smart and Olynyk is highly debatable. JB should be able to defend at his level or better before the season is out.

Therefore, and considering that contract, I believe it makes him the most logical choice to be traded as the primary asset in any major deal Ainge may make. We'll see if I'm right. If he trades for a legit wing, Crowder will almost certainly be shipped.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2016, 08:02:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Top 10 is such an arbitrary cut off, esp. at this position. You have Lebron, 10 yards away KD, 15 yards away Kawhi, and the other guys are a hundred yards away.

Sometimes folks needs a reality check, he is not a top ten SF.  He is a decent one who plays hard.

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2016, 08:18:38 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Too many respondents basing their thoughts on his contract. Underpaid does not equal underrated.

At best Crowder is a 4th, 5th, 6th guy on a championship team, yet it seems most wouldn't trade him for a considerably better player. He's a good player, but he's basically at his ceiling.

I get the attraction to his intangibles. But, IMO, he's not as valuable as Bradley, Thomas, or Horford, while his value over both Smart and Olynyk is highly debatable. JB should be able to defend at his level or better before the season is out.

Therefore, and considering that contract, I believe it makes him the most logical choice to be traded as the primary asset in any major deal Ainge may make. We'll see if I'm right. If he trades for a legit wing, Crowder will almost certainly be shipped.

One of Crowder, Bradley or Smart is almost certainly going out in any trade for a legit wing player, but that doesn't 'prove' that Jae Crowder is over rated.
If his contract isn't important to his rating then what is? He's being paid like a bench player in the NBA yet he's a starting caliber SF and is arguably a top 10 defender in the NBA when considering his versatility and difficult defensive tasks he is given basically every night against the oppositions best wing/SF. He's the guy that guards Lebron, Durant, George, DeRozan and the elite SF's of the NBA.

No one is arguing that he'll be shipped in a major deal. We're just saying he is absolutely no way 'overrated' as you say he is. He's a good shooter, excellent defender, and generally plays within his limits and sticks to what he's good at. He puts the team first and is an excellent influence in the locker room. He also gets paid $6 million a year which is peanuts and is one of the best contracts in the NBA considering he still has 2 years on that money after this season.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2016, 08:24:05 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i think that the OP is a bit overcritical, but jay is the player i would be willing to part with in a big trade. he has hit the ceiling, and it's not enough.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger