Author Topic: Would It Be Worth It? (A Boogie Story)  (Read 3551 times)

Would It Be Worth It? (A Boogie Story)
« on: December 02, 2016, 04:40:38 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
You can see the future. You see that the Celtics can get Cousins for:

Jaylen Brown, Amir Johnson, Brooklyn's 2017 pick swap, Brooklyn's 2018 Pick, and the Memphis Pick (presumably 2019).

Seeing farther into the future, you see that Cousins' arrival energizes the team and the win the championship in 2017. 2018 is tumultuous as Cousins gets comfortable and his bad behavior is worse than its ever been. The Celtics make it back to the finals but Cousins can't stay focused. He upends the team's chemistry and they lose the 2018 finals.

Brad Stevens can't stand him. Ainge can't stand him. The fans turn. The Celtics decide they don't want to resign him. He walks in free agency.

Knowing what the trade will cost and that it will GUARANTEE 1 championship and 1 finals loss and Cousins will be gone after the 2018 season, would you do the deal?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Would It Be Worth It? (A Boogie Story)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 04:45:44 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I read that link on twitter. I would do either deal, but prefer the first one with the Nets picks.
They wouldn't deal for a player like Cousins unless they were sure they could extend him.

Ainge has reached the point in player development where he has to unload those picks for established players to help the existing team. They aren't the Kings or the Sixers. No more 19yos, please, for awhile.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 04:55:52 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

Jaylen Brown, Amir Johnson, Brooklyn's 2017 pick swap, Brooklyn's 2018 Pick, and the Memphis Pick (presumably 2019).

Seeing farther into the future, you see that Cousins' arrival energizes the team and the win the championship in 2017. 2018 is tumultuous as Cousins gets comfortable and his bad behavior is worse than its ever been. The Celtics make it back to the finals but Cousins can't stay focused. He upends the team's chemistry and they lose the 2018 finals.

Brad Stevens can't stand him. Ainge can't stand him. The fans turn. The Celtics decide they don't want to resign him. He walks in free agency.

Knowing what the trade will cost and that it will GUARANTEE 1 championship and 1 finals loss and Cousins will be gone after the 2018 season, would you do the deal?

Well... I mean... 1 championship.... It's been 8 long years since the last one...

I might do it if it GUARANTEED a championship lol.

For Boston sports fans like me, the only hope for a championship right now is with the Patriots (and their defense will get shredded against a good team honestly).

Other than that... Red Sox don't look like they will get one anytime soon, and Bruins are merely fighting for a playoff spot at this point.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

Well... I mean... 1 championship.... It's been 8 long years since the last one...

I might do it if it GUARANTEED a championship lol.
Yeah, that's what I'm interested in. Is it worth it to fans to sell off almost all of our future assets if you knew in advance the team would win 1 championship and then pretty much fall out of contention within 2 years.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 03:03:14 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I'd do it if it guaranteed a championship

But since it doesn't, that is an awful lot to give up for cousins

I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 03:04:05 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
our future assets wont promise a championship, but Boogie will (in this case). So, i guess i do it.

it leaves us in poor shape after the 2018 season, though. whatever, we'll rebuild lol
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 03:17:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Too much to give up.

I could see one Net pick along with Brown, but not two.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 03:17:39 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
You do any deal that guarantees a championship (and a Finals appearance), unless you can also see the future and know you could draft a LeBron-caliber talent with one of those picks.

Of course, will the ring be nearly as much fun knowing it's coming? Or the 18 playoff run any fun at all, knowing how it'll end? Unless you can also gamble on it, probably not  :D

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 03:28:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Too much to give up.

I could see one Net pick along with Brown, but not two.

Yeah, highest I'd go is Brown, Brooklyn 2018, and Celtics 2018.  (And Zeller for salary purposes).

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 05:40:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
You do any deal that guarantees a championship (and a Finals appearance), unless you can also see the future and know you could draft a LeBron-caliber talent with one of those picks.

Of course, will the ring be nearly as much fun knowing it's coming? Or the 18 playoff run any fun at all, knowing how it'll end? Unless you can also gamble on it, probably not  :D
That's the real rub.

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 10:56:57 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
With the baseball meetings going on, it strikes me the Celtics have as much chance of getting Boogie as the Red Sox do of getting Sale. Each would be a difference maker, but I just don't see the push.

Danny seems to value those Nets picks, but you have to wonder how many 19yos can a mature team absorb?

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 12:42:39 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I don't want A championship and then to rebuild again. I want a dynasty. Greedy, I know. The Celtics didn't become who they are on the back of building to win a championship. Big 3 era team was massively unlucky to only deliver one.

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 01:03:54 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
It's so hard to win a chip that I think you have to do it. We would still have players we could trade for assets after that so we wouldn't truly be stuck with nothing. We would have Al who would be in his early 30s still, Smaht, AB, IT4, Roze, and Kelly could get us some picks. That's only if we blow it up, most of those guys will still be young and we would have space to add other guys... we would just be the team from this season with other players brought in with the open money from Cousin leaving.

If you don't think we could use that money on other FA then you don't believe we can get them now because we would still have the same team as we do now after he walks. players don't care about picks so that isn't a factor in them signing with us or not.

Also, who knows if Ante comes in and wrecks the league in a few years. That would be nice as we could slot him in as the starter to replace Cous, may not be Cousins good but we would be better than now b/c atm all we have is Al.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 01:11:50 AM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 01:44:28 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
That's an awful lot to give up but I think I'd do it. Since we're playing what if, what if the alternative is:

We get eliminated in the 2nd round this year, Cavs repeat, and we get the #2 overall pick. He blows out his knee and Warriors win the next year. We get a pick in the top 10 but he turns out to be a bust. The previous #2 pick's career ends early due to chronic injuries. Jaylen Brown peaks out as a Gerald Green/Jeff Green journeyman. Horford and IT lead us to perennial 2nd round playoff exits for the rest of their primes. We rebuild again.

If that's the case, I take the 1 ring.
- LilRip

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 02:03:56 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
That's an awful lot to give up but I think I'd do it. Since we're playing what if, what if the alternative is:

We get eliminated in the 2nd round this year, Cavs repeat, and we get the #2 overall pick. He blows out his knee and Warriors win the next year. We get a pick in the top 10 but he turns out to be a bust. The previous #2 pick's career ends early due to chronic injuries. Jaylen Brown peaks out as a Gerald Green/Jeff Green journeyman. Horford and IT lead us to perennial 2nd round playoff exits for the rest of their primes. We rebuild again.

If that's the case, I take the 1 ring.

TP. exactly. you never know what for sure is gonna happen. picks might not work. players might get old, etc. but if you told me, we would FOR SURE get Banner 18, then sign me up, brother!
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about