Author Topic: Boston.com Analyzes A Potential Cousins Trade (Warning: It's Scary)  (Read 8584 times)

Re: Boston.com Analyzes A Potential Cousins Trade (Warning: It's Scary)
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2016, 08:14:18 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Curious how you guys rank those 4 assets (Smart, Jaylen, 2017 Brooklyn pick, 2018 Brooklyn pick) in terms of trade value.

I'd say the 2017 Brooklyn pick has the most trade value by far.

I'd be fine with giving up any 2 of these 3 assets for Cousins:  Smart, Jaylen, 2018 Brooklyn pick... but I'd be very hesitant to move that 2017 pick unless it's straight-up for a star.

2017 BRK > Jaylen >2018 BRK >Smart

I put Jaylen above the 2018 BRK pick because I am in the camp saying there might be a minor increase in BRKs win total between this year and next. This gives (in my mind) the 2018 a more volatile outlook than Jaylen who I am pretty confident will be atleast a good player in the league. His combo of work ethic, and having some of the foundation for legitimate skills (handling and spins at his size are crazy effective) peaking through in parts of game, show me that he should be decent. Of course his potential COULD make him a star, but the 2017 BRK pick should be a star. Could vs should at the top.
#JKJB

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2016, 09:31:16 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Wrong thread

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2016, 07:25:45 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Everyone can be included in trade but Bradley. He's such a force. Impresses me every game more and more.

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2016, 07:37:46 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Everyone can be included in trade but Bradley. He's such a force. Impresses me every game more and more.

He is most likely to be traded.  Not because he is bad , but because he brings a steady good game .....which the Kings need.

I'd trade AB and keep Crowder. ......I doubt DA would trade both ....but you never know .....it might be worth it

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2016, 08:29:37 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Everyone can be included in trade but Bradley Horford. He's such a force. Impresses me every game more and more.
There, fixed it for ya'.

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2016, 09:21:18 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I've reached the pint where I'm passing on Cousins short of a sweetheart deal.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2016, 12:55:36 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Too much. We've got a good hand, we can afford to stand pat.

I think IT + Horford + Cousins + Crowder + Bradley turns us into the LA CLIPPERS EAST. A good team, sure, but with our bench depleted from the trade, probably not beating either the Cavs or GS. It also strips us of picks and would make it difficult to improve via draft, trade, or FA.

It's not worth trading all of that to go from 9-13th best in the league (with room to grow) to 3rd/4th best in the league (without room to grow). No Deal.

TP.  Totally agree.  If you watched the Celtics play the Kings last night you can see why they are not contenders even with a talented big like Cousins.  DMC just doesn't have the killer instinct to lead a team to victory.  He's no Russell or Hakeem or Shaq. 

He's just very talented but not necessarily a winner.  He's not the piece that takes you over the top.  I'd compare him to Dwight Howard.  Talent is not all that it takes to be a champion.  And if we give up all our flexibility and pick options and young talent, DMC better be the next Shaq.  And he's not that.  Oh and if you gave up JB, who is going to play the Kobe Bryant role?  Even Shaq needed another Superstar next to him to win 3 titles in LA.

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2016, 01:31:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
We won't win a title any time me soon without him.

The idea is to get good to compete. To carry us though the East to meet KD and Curry

Trade our junk off and go get him

Get him .....then add replacements , guys who might be better anyway to go with Al and Boogie .....

Like Paul George .......we d be scary then

Scary Good

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2016, 01:58:02 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
We won't win a title any time me soon without him.

The idea is to get good to compete. To carry us though the East to meet KD and Curry

Trade our junk off and go get him

Get him .....then add replacements , guys who might be better anyway to go with Al and Boogie .....

Like Paul George .......we d be scary then

Scary Good

Getting Cousins is hard enough... How in the world do you get BOTH Cousins and PG13 without decimating the entire roster?

Also you add Cousins (hope to extend him), but then you still need to extend some of, or all of IT/Smart/Bradley. That would be one HUGE luxury tax, which I'm sure Wyc would pay, but adding PG13 probably complicates that even more...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2016, 02:17:47 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I believe Paul George is a winner.  I'd trade significant pieces for him rather than Cousins.  And then hope to add more in free agency.  Or maybe hope Zizic turns out really solid for our #5 position.

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2016, 03:42:32 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
It's interesting that the article compares Williams' situation to Cousins as a comparable deal and then massively overpays in the potential trades.

Jaylen Brown = Derrick Favors in this deal. Favors was not who he is today back then, he had potential just like Brown does.

Then you add a top pick, the Nets 17 and another first, say BOS 19. Then someone equivalent to Harris, which in this case is probably Zeller or Amir. Now I think you'd need to add another mid to top tier asset on top of that due to Cousins' status as a big man asset. So either Rozier/Smart or the Nets 18 pick. Certainly not both! And you would expect something semi decent to come back the other way too.

Basically remove Smart or the Nets 18 from the first deal and I'm in.