Author Topic: Boston.com Analyzes A Potential Cousins Trade (Warning: It's Scary)  (Read 8612 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
http://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2016/12/02/what-would-it-take-for-the-celtics-to-trade-for-demarcus-cousins

I mean, yeah, to get Cousins, it would probably cost a good amount, definitely some young players and at least one BKN Pick. You can read the analysis that is on Boston.com, but here are the two trade ideas they propose:

"Hypothetical Trade Package 1 (emptying the youth cupboard)

Celtics trade Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Amir Johnson, the 2017 Brooklyn first round pick swap and Brooklyn’s 2018 unprotected first round pick for DeMarcus Cousins, Omri Cassipi and Ben McLemore"

"Hypothetical Trade Package 2 (sacrificing veterans over picks)

Celtics trade Avery Bradley, Jaylen Brown, Amir Johnson Marcus Smart, the right to swap with Brooklyn in 2017 NBA Draft, an unprotected 2019 Celtics first round pick to Sacramento Kings for DeMarcus Cousins, Arron Afflalo and Omri Casspi"

Boston.com does acknowledge that it's likely Ainge DOESN'T do any of these trades. What do you guys think?

My thoughts: I would consider doing the first deal IF one of Smart/Brown stayed with Boston.. and maybe replace the 2018 Brooklyn Pick with BOTH Boston's 2018 First and a 2019 First Rounder. But I say no to the second deal (not giving up Brown, Bradley and Smart all together, NO WAY).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:55:47 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Boston.com Analyzes A Potential Cousins Trade (Warning: It's Scary)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 03:53:25 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I rather not send out both Jaylen and Smart, I love both Smart and Brown and wanted Danny to draft both. With that said, I prefer we part ways with Brown. Something about Smart and Boogie both being so aggressive should be fun to watch.

I feel like we are giving up a lot more with the 2nd trade though as we are sending out AB, Brown, AND Smart along with a BKN pick

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I rather not send out both Jaylen and Smart, I love both Smart and Brown and wanted Danny to draft both. With that said, I prefer we part ways with Brown. Something about Smart and Boogie both being so aggressive should be fun to watch.

I feel like we are giving up a lot more with the 2nd trade though as we are sending out AB, Brown, AND Smart along with a BKN pick

My thoughts exact, and as I said about the article.. at the end they say that Ainge likely doesn't agree to even do any of the two trades, BUT as Cousins' trade value dwindles a bit, maybe if you can keep one of Smart/Brown in the deal, Ainge could pull the trigger on Trade #1.

I think IT will be giving Ainge some good insight about Cousins as well (he played with him in his SAC days).

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 03:58:08 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
If that's what it takes...I'd probably do it. For that much, though, I'd need a firm commitment from Cuz and his agent that he's in Boston long-term.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 04:01:00 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

My thoughts exact, and as I said about the article.. at the end they say that Ainge likely doesn't agree to even do any of the two trades, BUT as Cousins' trade value dwindles a bit, maybe if you can keep one of Smart/Brown in the deal, Ainge could pull the trigger on Trade #1.

I think IT will be giving Ainge some good insight about Cousins as well (he played with him in his SAC days).

yea i think ultimately i do not think Ainge trades for Boogie, mainly because he has about like 1.5 years left on the deal, as time goes by, I think the Kings are in no position to argue as times goes on, if Cousins decides to leave, it will leave the Kings with nothing

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 04:01:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
If that's what it takes...I'd probably do it. For that much, though, I'd need a firm commitment from Cuz and his agent that he's in Boston long-term.

I kind of doubt it, but IF they did agree to an extension.. I honestly could see Ainge pulling the trigger on a deal (especially if they can keep one of Smart/Bradley from the First idea).

Question.. has any player ever been traded to a team AFTER AGREEING to commit long term to the team they got traded to? Like they only have 1-1.5 years left on their deal BUT agree to commit long term to the team even before hitting FA?

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 04:04:14 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

I kind of doubt it, but IF they did agree to an extension.. I honestly could see Ainge pulling the trigger on a deal (especially if they can keep one of Smart/Bradley from the First idea).

Question.. has any player ever been traded to a team AFTER AGREEING to commit long term to the team they got traded to? Like they only have 1-1.5 years left on their deal BUT agree to commit long term to the team even before hitting FA?

KG?

DKC Clippers

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 04:05:05 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2955
I think the reports from other GMs kind of put a damper on him being moved for this much. This might be how much they're wanting to move him for, but it doesn't seem anyone is willing to give up that much for him.

These trades don't even make sense anyways. We don't want Mcelmore or to take on Afflalo, and they don't want Bradley. These are stupid trades.

Here's what I figure:

Guaranteed - 2017 Brooklyn swap, Amir (salary reasons)

Pick two - Brown, Smart, Rozier,  2018 Brooklyn pick

Pick two more - Young, Mickey, Jackson, Memphis pick, Clippers pick

Outside of Boogie, I could see us taking back Casspi and/or someone like Collison, both of whom would help us off the bench. But we'd have absolutely no interest in Mcelmore and his restricted free agency this year, and I doubt we'd bring Afflalo back either.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 04:07:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

KG?

Right, I remember, he signed on the day of the trade I believed (3/60 extension). TP, Thanks.

But that was also a fairly a long time ago.

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 04:08:38 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

KG?

Right, I remember, he signed on the day of the trade I believed (3/60 extension). TP, Thanks.

Harden. He didn't extend and was restricted, but same concept.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 04:10:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I think the reports from other GMs kind of put a damper on him being moved for this much. This might be how much they're wanting to move him for, but it doesn't seem anyone is willing to give up that much for him.

These trades don't even make sense anyways. We don't want Mcelmore or to take on Afflalo, and they don't want Bradley. These are stupid trades.

Here's what I figure:

Outside of Boogie, I could see us taking back Casspi and/or someone like Collison, both of whom would help us off the bench. But we'd have absolutely no interest in Mcelmore and his restricted free agency this year, and I doubt we'd bring Afflalo back either.

This was my idea I've posted in numerous places:

- Marcus Smart OR Terry Rozier (Kings' Choice)
- Amir Johnson
- Jordan Mickey
- James Young (mainly added to take back one of Casspi OR Collison)
- Rights to Yabusele
- 2017 Brooklyn Pick
- 2018 Boston First Rounder
- 2019 Clippers OR Grizzlies First (Kings' choice)

FOR

DMC, and one of Casspi/Collison.

Good mix of picks and young players (plus salary filler/expiring contract) and an intriguing Euro-prospect

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 04:12:28 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2955

KG?

Harden. He didn't extend and was restricted, but same concept.

Let's also not forget that the new CBA is supposed to have more attractive extension options, so there's always the possibility of locking him up this summer before he even hits free agency in 2018.

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 04:13:44 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
No way am I making that trade.

The 2017 draft has multiple future stars.

The team we are watching right now and for the next 4 years is to pass the time until Brown and the 2017 and 2018 picks develop.

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 04:17:05 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

Here's what I figure:

Unfortunately the proposed trade is probably closer to the asking price then those reports from unnamed GMs.

It will take a bus of players to get Cousins because he's arguably one of the best bigs if not the best. I just don't think it's worth giving up Brown and the Nets picks. I'd rather ride it out and see what we get with those picks.

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 04:25:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If you're giving up Smart, Jaylen, Brooklyn 2017 and Brooklyn 2018 ... our two players with theoretical star potential and our only two picks that have a legitimate shot at landing a star... You're basically saying, "Ok, this move is the one that's going to legitimately make us a champion". 

And unfortunately as good as Cousins is, merely adding him to this team probably still doesn't make us as good as the true contenders in this league. 

At some point you need to weigh the impact of Cousins (whether it makes us as good as the Golden State Globetrotters) with the potential impact of signing a star via free agency and the hope that 1 or more of Smart, Jaylen and the Brooklyn picks develop into stars.