Author Topic: Why is Zeller's Jan 15th no-trade restriction tied to Yabu & Zizic?  (Read 1400 times)

Online otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Question for CBA experts:

Horford & Green's (both signed as UFAs) no-trade restriction lifts Dec 15.

Zeller's (signed as a RFA) no-trade restriction lifts on Jan 15, 2017.  I have read several places that Todd's date got pushed from Dec 15 to Jan 15 because Danny chose not to sign letter stating that C's would not call up Yabu or Zizic this season (guess Danny wanted to keep his options open).

Apparently CBA calls for this delay in Zeller's date.

Can anyone confirm & explain the logic behind this?

Or is this just CBA fine print with no particular logic associated with it?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Why is Zeller's Jan 15th no-trade restriction tied to Yabu & Zizic?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 02:01:37 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Since they didn't rule out their stashes for the season, the Celtics didn't have enough cap space to sign Zeller because unsigned first round picks still have cap holds, so they used his Bird rights instead.  (This is wrongly reported in some places as cap space being used.)  Since the team technically went over the cap to sign Zeller and gave him a large enough raise, he is not eligible to be traded until January 15.  This rule is a replacement for the base-year compensation rule that made it difficult to trade recent free agent signings.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 04:54:03 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I never could figure out this deal. Let's just say Zeller has some friends high up in the management.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 04:59:30 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Since they didn't rule out their stashes for the season, the Celtics didn't have enough cap space to sign Zeller because unsigned first round picks still have cap holds, so they used his Bird rights instead.  (This is wrongly reported in some places as cap space being used.)  Since the team technically went over the cap to sign Zeller and gave him a large enough raise, he is not eligible to be traded until January 15.  This rule is a replacement for the base-year compensation rule that made it difficult to trade recent free agent signings.

Additionally, it gets a little more confusing.  Because Yab and Zizic are currently signed to contracts with foreign teams, their cap holds dropped off when the season began, so the Celtics went over the cap to sign Zeller with Bird rights, but are now back under the cap with about $1.1 million.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 11:56:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
The cap hold for a first round pick is only removed if the team and player submit a written agreement that they won't sign a contract for the season.  The Celtics did not do so, so the cap holds remain and the possibility of signing either player later in the season remains
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 12:03:42 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
The cap hold for a first round pick is only removed if the team and player submit a written agreement that they won't sign a contract for the season.  The Celtics did not do so, so the cap holds remain and the possibility of signing either player later in the season remains
yes, this is also what i've read on a few different sites.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 12:25:20 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
So we could actually see Zizic in January if we say... trade somebody like Zeller first?

I wonder if we will make a big move in January?  Does Danny have anyone lined up?

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 12:39:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

From Larry Coon:

An unsigned first round pick is removed from team salary if the team and player both agree in writing not to sign any contract through the following June 30. The scale amount is returned to the team salary the following July 1. If the team renounces its draft rights, the player's scale amount is removed from the team salary permanently, and the team relinquishes its draft rights to the player (see question number 54).

If a first round pick signs with a non-NBA team, his scale amount is excluded from the team salary on the date he signs his non-NBA contract or the first day of the regular season, whichever is later. The scale amount goes back onto the team salary on the following July 1 or when his non-NBA contract ends, whichever is earlier. In other words, these cap holds are removed for players playing outside the NBA, but only during the regular season.

The first paragraph describes the letter we did not seek (or could not obtain) for Zizic and Yab.  That is why we went over the cap to sign Zeller.

The second paragraph describes our current situation, and why we have cap room now.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 12:45:51 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
So we could actually see Zizic in January if we say... trade somebody like Zeller first?

I wonder if we will make a big move in January?  Does Danny have anyone lined up?

He probably wouldn't have a chance of coming over until his season ends, so probably not January.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 02:10:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

While I don't expect that to happen, Ainge made the decision to keep that option open.  I'd think it most likely to occur after March 1st, if we wind up with 14 players after the trade deadline, and there are no veteran free agents we are able to sign instead.  But I think that's probably Plan F.  It's also more likely to be Yab than Zizic, because his team's season ends in late Feb, whereas I think Zizic finishes up in early April.