Poll

Who would you rather see playing along side Horford?

Jerekbo
9 (39.1%)
KO
8 (34.8%)
AJ
1 (4.3%)
Zeller
2 (8.7%)
Go small, go Crowder!
1 (4.3%)
Play a rotation based on matchup.
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Current big man pairing/rotation.  (Read 1088 times)

Current big man pairing/rotation.
« on: December 02, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
OK so I did a poll on moving guys to the bench. I specfilly went with guys that could be a difference in the teams playing dynamic. In the thread we had a few post about the Bigs. So this is a separate poll just to see which big you rather see playing next to Al. I know we would all prefer a trade to upgrade but this is about who is currently on the roster.

Now for me I have no problem it being a rotation depending on the matchup. As in if we are going up against a team with size I may want to go with AJ. If it's a faster PF like Griffin or Melo* I would like to see Crowder in at the 4. If it's a team that tends to stack the paint then I'd go KO. I kind of prefer Jerekbo only come off the bench and be an energy player. And I also see Zeller as the main back up center.

Re: Current big man pairing/rotation.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 02:22:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Jerebko as starter. I like his defensive quickness and doesn't need many touches to be useful.

I like Olynyk off the bench. I think he is a key piece to solidify the bench.

Dependability - Smart and Olynyk. Those two are two guys you can depend on to impact the game. Rozier and Jaylen are too inconsistent. T.Zeller and Mickey are inconsistent as well. G.Green and J.Young also. Jerebko is solid but not a game changer (game changing bench player). Someone who works in the background of others. Not a leader for the bench. Smart and Olynyk are the leaders of that second unit.

Skills-set - I also think the bench needs a highly skilled big man who can facilitate the offense with his passing and distance shooting when Horford is off the court. Olynyk is the best man for that job and makes the most sense as Horford's replacement when Al goes to the bench.

Late-Game Lineup - I also like Olynyk to finish games alongside Horford in the 4th quarter. I think those two can get key minutes alongside one another late in games. And make Boston's offense extremely difficult to stop.

So Jerebko to start but as a 18-24mpg starter. Olynyk as a bench player but with 27-30mpg.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 02:53:48 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
I say JJ, too. He provides defensive versatility, spacing/shooting, and mobility that Amir does not, and it'd allow Al to move back to his more natural C position.

Amir needs to play primarily against other bench players.

KO could start also, but I think he's crucial off the bench to give us some reliable shooting, scoring, and playmaking.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Anyone but Amir lol
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 03:09:42 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
JJ. He's rolling at the moment and was one of our best players in the Playoffs last year.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 03:13:26 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I say JJ, too. He provides defensive versatility, spacing/shooting, and mobility that Amir does not, and it'd allow Al to move back to his more natural C position.

KO could start also, but I think he's crucial off the bench to give us some reliable shooting, scoring, and playmaking.

Plus he's shooting the lights out this season (54.8% on 2s, 44.4% on 3s).  My only concern with him is rebounding, but he isn't doing much worse than Amir (10.1% TRB vs 11.0%).  Kelly would be my second choice (he's just slightly under Jerebko with 9.7% TRB, but is only shooting 38.1% on 3s, albeit shooting them much more often)

If Zeller can find some consistency, his 14.3% TRB could be a nice upgrade to the starting lineup, too (although I'd rather see a stretch big like Kelly or Jerebko in there
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 04:02:42 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
The C's were an absolute juggernaut in the 1st quarter of Olynyk's 8 starts last year,  Off. Rat. 122.2, Def. Rat. 93.7, Net Rat. +28.6.  K.O. also had the best Net Rat. of any starter last year of +6.5.

1.  I.T/Smart or Bradley/Crowder/K.O./Horford starting lineup.  You can pull any 2 of them early in the 1st qtr. and bring them back with the bench.  There is absolutely no reason to not be keeping at least 3 of I.T., Smart, Bradley, Crowder, K.O., Horford on the floor during almost all relevant game minutes.

2.  Never put these 4 on the floor together again!  I.T./Bradley/Smart/Crowder super small ball just doesn't work, never has never will.  They can't get stops and leaves the C's undersized at every position.  In 43 minutes so far this year they have a Def. Rat. of 128.  Last year in 124 minutes they had a Def. Rat. of 110.8.

The big man rotation would work just fine if Horford 32 minutes, K.O. 28, Amir and Jerebko 18.  The Celtics being so undersized at the guard and wing spots simply cannot afford to go small with the bigs.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 04:10:30 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904

Plus he's shooting the lights out this season (54.8% on 2s, 44.4% on 3s).  My only concern with him is rebounding, but he isn't doing much worse than Amir (10.1% TRB vs 11.0%).  Kelly would be my second choice (he's just slightly under Jerebko with 9.7% TRB, but is only shooting 38.1% on 3s, albeit shooting them much more often)

If Zeller can find some consistency, his 14.3% TRB could be a nice upgrade to the starting lineup, too (although I'd rather see a stretch big like Kelly or Jerebko in there

How much do you think Al's rebounding rate would be brought up by being moved to C? I'd say a decent amount, because most of the time he's out chasing stretch 4's on the perimeter. For example in the Pistons game, you have to think that Horford does a better job of rebounding down low against Drummond than Amir. And hell, he's been a C his entire NBA career until this year when he's primarily playing PF outside of our small-ball death lineup.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 04:42:02 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

How much do you think Al's rebounding rate would be brought up by being moved to C? I'd say a decent amount, because most of the time he's out chasing stretch 4's on the perimeter. For example in the Pistons game, you have to think that Horford does a better job of rebounding down low against Drummond than Amir. And hell, he's been a C his entire NBA career until this year when he's primarily playing PF outside of our small-ball death lineup.

Horford should ONLY play center on this team. Zeller as backup for now. The other guys are 4s.

They aren't going anywhere this year without some help up front in rebounding/defense.

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 04:57:03 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

Horford should ONLY play center on this team. Zeller as backup for now. The other guys are 4s.

They aren't going anywhere this year without some help up front in rebounding/defense.
Horford and Olynyk destroy 2nd units when playing center.  If there is a hole at center it would be a starting center, but that really isn't proven to be true.  Horford/Olynyk as a starting pairing will likely perform very well.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 10:20:10 AM »

Offline hagar55voa

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
I'd like to see Zeller and Horford play together for about 20 minutes a game...