Author Topic: Speculation on why we may be underachieving  (Read 9515 times)

Re: Speculation on why we may be underachieving
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2016, 09:56:23 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
p--- poor drafting and trading

I get that some people aren't fans of the way Danny has drafted. But what bad trades has he done? I really can't think of any recent trades that have led to this team underachieving.

Oh, wait. Another baseless Danny-Hate comment from someone who has shown on multiple occasions that his sole purpose in this forum is to cry and complain and do nothing else.

It's called "lack of trades"..

If A level Free Agent players pass on Boston you cannot wait on the picks to work out. The players in college leave way to early which makes the draft a big time crapshoot.

You have to get creative or find bench players on other teams who might need "just a chance to play" much like Crowder..

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2016, 10:13:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Partying late

Junk food

Too many ladies

Injuries

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2016, 10:31:38 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

I get that some people aren't fans of the way Danny has drafted. But what bad trades has he done? I really can't think of any recent trades that have led to this team underachieving.

Oh, wait. Another baseless Danny-Hate comment from someone who has shown on multiple occasions that his sole purpose in this forum is to cry and complain and do nothing else.

Whatever man.  I'm not gonna walk around with Celtic green tinted glasses on like some people.  They are what they are.  Danny had an opportunity over the summer to dump the number 3 pick for some star power and he didn't.  You can't sit on your hands and hope to be competitive.  That's what ainge has done with the trades.  We've needed rebounding since 2010 and what has he done.  We've needed a solid SF for years and we've drafted pg after pg only to have a log jam and still deficient in the areas of need....wing scoring and rebounding.  You may be happy with the feel good story every year and a first or second round playoff bounce, but it's gettin old for me pretty fast.  The guy has a glut of draft picks and either doesn't use them or drafts them and can't trade them because they have no value.  That puts us right where we are...mediocre for the 3rd straight year.  Enjoy  ::)

You didn't answer my question. That paragraph is nothing but a bunch of fluff. I don't have green tinted glasses. I realize this team has serious problems. So, if you think I'm being a homer, you're not thinking properly.

You said we had "p--- poor drafting and trading". Read that to yourself once again please.
What bad trade has Danny done?

Also, you mentioned trading the 3rd pick. Are you aware that Chicago wanted the 3rd pick, Avery, Jae, and another first round pick for Butler? Would you still have wanted to do that? Because in my opinion, that's a serious overpay for a player who is, frankly, a little overrated.

I answered your freakin question cant you read?  Not trading and holding onto Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty picks that mount to little to no value is just as bad as making a bad trade.  It's what Danny is not doing is the problem.  Would I have given up Bradley Jae and 2 first for butler, no, not then but maybe now.  But I woulda given that pick to the sixers to get one of their bigs and covington.  Bottom line is we're not gonna improve until we get some stars and if that means shipping four role players for one star the. So be it.  What's it gonna hurt at this point.

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2016, 11:20:21 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Whatever man.  I'm not gonna walk around with Celtic green tinted glasses on like some people.  They are what they are.  Danny had an opportunity over the summer to dump the number 3 pick for some star power and he didn't.  You can't sit on your hands and hope to be competitive.  That's what ainge has done with the trades.  We've needed rebounding since 2010 and what has he done.  We've needed a solid SF for years and we've drafted pg after pg only to have a log jam and still deficient in the areas of need....wing scoring and rebounding.  You may be happy with the feel good story every year and a first or second round playoff bounce, but it's gettin old for me pretty fast.  The guy has a glut of draft picks and either doesn't use them or drafts them and can't trade them because they have no value.  That puts us right where we are...mediocre for the 3rd straight year.  Enjoy  ::)

You didn't answer my question. That paragraph is nothing but a bunch of fluff. I don't have green tinted glasses. I realize this team has serious problems. So, if you think I'm being a homer, you're not thinking properly.

You said we had "p--- poor drafting and trading". Read that to yourself once again please.

Also, you mentioned trading the 3rd pick. Are you aware that Chicago wanted the 3rd pick, Avery, Jae, and another first round pick for Butler? Would you still have wanted to do that? Because in my opinion, that's a serious overpay for a player who is, frankly, a little overrated.

Would I have given up Bradley Jae and 2 first for butler, no, not then but maybe now.  But I woulda given that pick to the sixers to get one of their bigs and covington.  Bottom line is we're not gonna improve until we get some stars and if that means shipping four role players for one star the. So be it.  What's it gonna hurt at this point.

So one of the Available Sixers big is a star now huh? ::)

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2016, 11:33:52 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I answered your freakin question cant you read?  Not trading and holding onto ****ty picks that mount to little to no value is just as bad as making a bad trade.  It's what Danny is not doing is the problem.  Would I have given up Bradley Jae and 2 first for butler, no, not then but maybe now.  But I woulda given that pick to the sixers to get one of their bigs and covington.  Bottom line is we're not gonna improve until we get some stars and if that means shipping four role players for one star the. So be it.  What's it gonna hurt at this point.

you think Nerlens Noel is/will be a star?

Just when i thought i'd heard it all...
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2016, 11:38:47 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

It's called "lack of trades"..

If A level Free Agent players pass on Boston you cannot wait on the picks to work out. The players in college leave way to early which makes the draft a big time crapshoot.

You have to get creative or find bench players on other teams who might need "just a chance to play" much like Crowder..

the only A-level free agent this summer was KD, and even then, he's an A+ level free agent. you can make the argument that Al was an A- level free agent.

you also said the players in college leave way too early. i bring to you Kris Dunn. he played all 4 years of college ball. i think that's enough time in college, right? he looks great, huh? how about buddy hield? how does he look? oh, but what about Jamal Murray? just 1 year in college. is that really "way too early"? he's having a lot of success in recent weeks. i dont think the draft is a crapshoot by any means. it's how you get top tier talent.

regarding your final point, Dec 15th is the day the trade market "informally" starts. you'll hear a lot more rumors and trade talks then. let's see what danny will do
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2016, 12:23:53 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'm becoming more and more convinced of the idea that the Celts let their early successes, team and individual growth and Al's signing go to their heads. 

They're clearly not playing defense and drifted from what made them successful. It took a 37 point effort from IT tonight to beat PHI without Embiid, Noel, Covington, and Bayless? That's horrible, and again the intensity just wasn't there.

I thought Bradley played well, but right now he's overly focused on offense.  Remember that being an issue for him? He's in great shape, but not strong enough to maintain a high level of play on both ends (why Crowder's not overrated).  I've always based Avery's effort on whether he fought through screens in the half court -- nothing else would tire him out more, but he did a nice job of it in the past.  He didn't tonight though.

Crowder was also a letdown.  Took some really bad shots and didn't seem interested in defense.  He's giving up a lot of height to Saric, but he was getting bullied down into the paint by him too.  That can't happen.

Smart... effort and defense, but wow -- what do you do with him on offense? He can't keep bombing away if he's ever going to contribute offensively.  I just think they believe they're an elite team in the East, but hopefully they'll adjust quickly.  Al is really good -- a little better than I ever thought -- and he can make a big difference, but that's just icing on the cake come playoffs. Need to re-establish the defense just to compete for that necessary #3 seed.   
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:36:29 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2016, 01:39:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sometimes we have a bad case of play to the level of  your opponentsitis.

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2016, 02:03:03 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Sometimes we have a bad case of play to the level of  your opponentsitis.

Agreed.  We were guilty of it last year at times, but showed a lot more buy-in, tenacity, and desire last year.  I think the loss of Turner is hurting us a lot, too. 

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2016, 02:13:40 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm becoming more and more convinced of the idea that the Celts let their early successes, team and individual growth and Al's signing go to their heads. 

They're clearly not playing defense and drifted from what made them successful. It took a 37 point effort from IT tonight to beat PHI without Embiid, Noel, Covington, and Bayless? That's horrible, and again the intensity just wasn't there.

I thought Bradley played well, but right now he's overly focused on offense.  Remember that being an issue for him? He's in great shape, but not strong enough to maintain a high level of play on both ends (why Crowder's not overrated).  I've always based Avery's effort on whether he fought through screens in the half court -- nothing else would tire him out more, but he did a nice job of it in the past.  He didn't tonight though.

Crowder was also a letdown.  Took some really bad shots and didn't seem interested in defense.  He's giving up a lot of height to Saric, but he was getting bullied down into the paint by him too.  That can't happen.

Smart... effort and defense, but wow -- what do you do with him on offense? He can't keep bombing away if he's ever going to contribute offensively.  I just think they believe they're an elite team in the East, but hopefully they'll adjust quickly.  Al is really good -- a little better than I ever thought -- and he can make a big difference, but that's just icing on the cake come playoffs. Need to re-establish the defense just to compete for that necessary #3 seed.   

I see the situation pretty much as you do. They do seem to have bought into their own hype, and I see a lot of troubling signs in the last three games, which were:

• A home loss to team on the second night of a back-to-back
• A narrow win over a bad team with one good player
• A narrow win over a bad team missing three regulars

The defense is still deficient, and if they play the next four games like they played the last three, they're gonna get their butts handed to them.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2016, 02:17:20 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Partying late

Junk food

Too many ladies

Injuries

Sully has left the building.  ;D
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2016, 02:23:28 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

I see the situation pretty much as you do. They do seem to have bought into their own hype, and I see a lot of troubling signs in the last three games, which were:

The defense is still deficient, and if they play the next four games like they played the last three, they're gonna get their butts handed to them.

Yep, beyond four.  Next 6 games: Rockets, Magic, Raptors, Thunder, Spurs, Hornets.  Not an easy trip.  Then the Thunder again on the 23rd.  They better get it together quickly.  I wonder if they're all thinking about potentially being traded for, say, Boogie.  Al was obviously locked in that game, and Crowder had words for him.  I'd imagine that, aside from IT, those are the leaders of the locker room.   

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2016, 02:25:19 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

Yep, beyond four.  Next 6 games: Rockets, Magic, Raptors, Thunder, Spurs, Hornets.  Not an easy trip.  Then the Thunder again on the 23rd.

if there's one thing good about playing to our competition, it's that we'll (probably) be 100% in the game mentally and hopefully defensively. those games will be a good litmus test for us.

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2016, 02:31:22 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Yep, beyond four.  Next 6 games: Rockets, Magic, Raptors, Thunder, Spurs, Hornets.  Not an easy trip.  Then the Thunder again on the 23rd.

if there's one thing good about playing to our competition, it's that we'll (probably) be 100% in the game mentally and hopefully defensively. those games will be a good litmus test for us.

Definitely, because they're honestly all winnable.  It's a rough stretch, but we can be very competitive in every one of those games.  I really think our record over this stretch will reflect our mentality/locker room more than anything else. 

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2016, 03:41:16 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I don't think the team is underachieving. They are placed close to where the playing talent suggests they should be. The depth on the squad has proven not to be as strong as some thought when the team is missing starters with injury.

With a full squad we can compete with anybody but don't seem to have that ability to blow lesser teams away, resulting in the unexpected loss occasionally.

Two players away from being a contender? That is my feeling.