Author Topic: Speculation on why we may be underachieving  (Read 9583 times)

Re: Speculation on why we may be underachieving
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2016, 10:43:06 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
p--- poor drafting and trading

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2016, 11:06:43 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
The team isn't that talented. They have a bunch of decent players that have value.

They need 1 or 2 game changing players.

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2016, 11:35:48 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
1. Injuries hurt us.
2. The defense has been weak
3. No one has taken over for Turner yet to this point. Smart and TRoz haven't filled the void as of now. You hope they do by the All-Star game.

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2016, 11:39:35 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I get that some people aren't fans of the way Danny has drafted. But what bad trades has he done? I really can't think of any recent trades that have led to this team underachieving.

Oh, wait. Another baseless Danny-Hate comment from someone who has shown on multiple occasions that his sole purpose in this forum is to cry and complain and do nothing else.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2016, 04:47:25 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

I get that some people aren't fans of the way Danny has drafted. But what bad trades has he done? I really can't think of any recent trades that have led to this team underachieving.

Oh, wait. Another baseless Danny-Hate comment from someone who has shown on multiple occasions that his sole purpose in this forum is to cry and complain and do nothing else.

Whatever man.  I'm not gonna walk around with Celtic green tinted glasses on like some people.  They are what they are.  Danny had an opportunity over the summer to dump the number 3 pick for some star power and he didn't.  You can't sit on your hands and hope to be competitive.  That's what ainge has done with the trades.  We've needed rebounding since 2010 and what has he done.  We've needed a solid SF for years and we've drafted pg after pg only to have a log jam and still deficient in the areas of need....wing scoring and rebounding.  You may be happy with the feel good story every year and a first or second round playoff bounce, but it's gettin old for me pretty fast.  The guy has a glut of draft picks and either doesn't use them or drafts them and can't trade them because they have no value.  That puts us right where we are...mediocre for the 3rd straight year.  Enjoy  ::)

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2016, 05:54:28 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
The team isn't that talented. They have a bunch of decent players that have value.

Better 2.

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2016, 06:36:48 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
They don't play good team basketball on the defensive end.

They are playing differently than last year.  Though Detroit hit some tough shots, the Cs were allowing them three pointers.  Last year they ran people off the line.  I saw similar action against the Spurs.  It is quite clear that their physical play will be called out by the refs, even at home, so I would like to see them make some guys drive to the paint and they actually foul them.  Hard.

I also think Kelly Olynyk will eventually make a huge difference, if he can be competent defensively.  That is a big if.

It is still early, they are still working out rotations.  Like I have said - get to 12-8 after 20, that's on pace for 50 wins even with all the missed games.

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2016, 07:33:21 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Surprised nobody has stated the obvious (on top of injuries and rebounding).

Aside from Golden State and Cleveland, the overall balance of talent across the teams in the NBA is closer than it has been for quite a while. It was not too long ago where the second best team in the East would have been lucky to make the playoffs out of the West. Right now I’d say the two conferences are very close to even, especially in the middle of the pack.
One could argue that 2-10 in the East right now are very close to equal from a talent wise.

That being said as things are finally evening out there are a lot less “gimmies” night in and night out.

I personally love how there is so much evenness these days.. I think it’s exciting. Even though teams outside of the mistake by the lake or San Fran are simply playing for second.
Comcast had a free preview of NBA TV for a spell earlier in the season. I got to watch a number of teams play. Many of them impressed me in one way or another...either they displayed top notch scoring, defense, rebounding, passing and/or coaching. My feelings is a good number of players in the League have improved since last season. Thus, many teams' overall play has gotten better too.

For example, it's not a given that you are going to beat a last place team. Everyone is there to compete. You get a couple shooters with a hot hand and anything can happen.

What some of you are saying is true as well. The C's took a hit losing Sullinger and Turner. Plus, they are missing a strong inside game. Their perimeter defense could use improvement. However, even if they were able to improve in these areas. Other teams are still going to be tough to beat.

I don't think it's that we over-estimate the Celtics. It's more we vastly underestimate the overall talent in the NBA.
If this is true then it would be a great time for a team to sell off players like Cousins to tank since there shouldn't be too much competition to get into the bottom 5.

I'm not even sure a bottom 5 is known yet. This entire forum had the Nets locked as the worst team in the NBA, they are exceeding everyone's expectations and playing at a High level by Nets standards. Dallas? Worst team in the NBA? Worst record but they are far from a horrible team, I wouldn't guarantee they finish bottom 5. Minnesota? A lot of people had them sneaking into the playoffs this year, arguably the best young team in the NBA right now. Phoenix has depth but will likely finish bottom 5, Washington has depth, New Orleans can come on strong and has been, and Philly well is Philly they'll probably mail it in soon.
What I'm trying to say is there are no real teams that should be in tank mode, even Sacramento.. by this point there is usually a fine line between contenders, pretenders and bottom feeders but a lot of teams are either exceeding expectations or were underestimated pre season.. Lakers?
Now i'm not saying the likes of Sacramento, Dallas, Nets, and Suns are good teams, i'm just saying people are crazy if they think teams like Boston (or any team that falls in that 2-10 bracket) are going to go in and get an easy win.

It's going to be a grind this season for most teams other than Cleveland, GS and probably SA/LAC.

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2016, 08:24:13 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Surprised nobody has stated the obvious (on top of injuries and rebounding).

Aside from Golden State and Cleveland, the overall balance of talent across the teams in the NBA is closer than it has been for quite a while. It was not too long ago where the second best team in the East would have been lucky to make the playoffs out of the West. Right now I’d say the two conferences are very close to even, especially in the middle of the pack.
One could argue that 2-10 in the East right now are very close to equal from a talent wise.

That being said as things are finally evening out there are a lot less “gimmies” night in and night out.

I personally love how there is so much evenness these days.. I think it’s exciting. Even though teams outside of the mistake by the lake or San Fran are simply playing for second.
Comcast had a free preview of NBA TV for a spell earlier in the season. I got to watch a number of teams play. Many of them impressed me in one way or another...either they displayed top notch scoring, defense, rebounding, passing and/or coaching. My feelings is a good number of players in the League have improved since last season. Thus, many teams' overall play has gotten better too.

For example, it's not a given that you are going to beat a last place team. Everyone is there to compete. You get a couple shooters with a hot hand and anything can happen.

What some of you are saying is true as well. The C's took a hit losing Sullinger and Turner. Plus, they are missing a strong inside game. Their perimeter defense could use improvement. However, even if they were able to improve in these areas. Other teams are still going to be tough to beat.

I don't think it's that we over-estimate the Celtics. It's more we vastly underestimate the overall talent in the NBA.
If this is true then it would be a great time for a team to sell off players like Cousins to tank since there shouldn't be too much competition to get into the bottom 5.

I'm not even sure a bottom 5 is known yet. This entire forum had the Nets locked as the worst team in the NBA, they are exceeding everyone's expectations and playing at a High level by Nets standards. Dallas? Worst team in the NBA? Worst record but they are far from a horrible team, I wouldn't guarantee they finish bottom 5. Minnesota? A lot of people had them sneaking into the playoffs this year, arguably the best young team in the NBA right now. Phoenix has depth but will likely finish bottom 5, Washington has depth, New Orleans can come on strong and has been, and Philly well is Philly they'll probably mail it in soon.
What I'm trying to say is there are no real teams that should be in tank mode, even Sacramento.. by this point there is usually a fine line between contenders, pretenders and bottom feeders but a lot of teams are either exceeding expectations or were underestimated pre season.. Lakers?
Now i'm not saying the likes of Sacramento, Dallas, Nets, and Suns are good teams, i'm just saying people are crazy if they think teams like Boston (or any team that falls in that 2-10 bracket) are going to go in and get an easy win.

It's going to be a grind this season for most teams other than Cleveland, GS and probably SA/LAC.
TP Thank you jbpats. This is what I would have liked to have written. You did it quite eloquently.

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2016, 09:35:04 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
We will be fine to win somewhere around 50 games barring any major injuries.

We have a combined 27 games missed with 4 key rotation players in Smart, Crowder, Horford, and KO.

Sometimes a team like Detroit plays excellent basketball and there isn't much you can do.  It happens in the NBA.  As others have noted I think the middle class of the Eastern Conference is the strongest it's been in a while. 

The loss of Turner doesn't help, and my eyes tell Amir isn't playing as well, but I think the overall improvement of other players, and the addition of Horford will more than make up for it.

We are also trying to incorporate 2 young players in Rozier and Brown in the rotation which we have To be patient with their growing pains.  I wouldn't be surprised though to see Green starting to get minutes again.

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2016, 11:25:08 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We lost to Detroit because of a lack of defensive intensity.
We need to foul more.

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2016, 11:47:19 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Thank you for sharing the truth.

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2016, 12:46:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
All I can say is that if you think Isaiah Thomas and Al Horford don't count as "game changing players," and you don't think Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder are better than decent, you're setting a bar so high that you're unlikely to ever be happy with what the Celts have on the roster.

The Celts lack an MVP caliber, top 10-15 type player.  That's true.  But the way some people talk around here, you'd get the notion that acquiring such a player is a matter of course in the NBA, that any GM with half a brain can do it given enough time and money.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2016, 01:10:12 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Whatever man.  I'm not gonna walk around with Celtic green tinted glasses on like some people.  They are what they are.  Danny had an opportunity over the summer to dump the number 3 pick for some star power and he didn't.  You can't sit on your hands and hope to be competitive.  That's what ainge has done with the trades.  We've needed rebounding since 2010 and what has he done.  We've needed a solid SF for years and we've drafted pg after pg only to have a log jam and still deficient in the areas of need....wing scoring and rebounding.  You may be happy with the feel good story every year and a first or second round playoff bounce, but it's gettin old for me pretty fast.  The guy has a glut of draft picks and either doesn't use them or drafts them and can't trade them because they have no value.  That puts us right where we are...mediocre for the 3rd straight year.  Enjoy  ::)

You didn't answer my question. That paragraph is nothing but a bunch of fluff. I don't have green tinted glasses. I realize this team has serious problems. So, if you think I'm being a homer, you're not thinking properly.

You said we had "p--- poor drafting and trading". Read that to yourself once again please.
What bad trade has Danny done?

Also, you mentioned trading the 3rd pick. Are you aware that Chicago wanted the 3rd pick, Avery, Jae, and another first round pick for Butler? Would you still have wanted to do that? Because in my opinion, that's a serious overpay for a player who is, frankly, a little overrated.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2016, 05:03:49 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
They are vulnerable in the paint. Got killed on easy baskets by the Pistons. While the Celtics were sitting on the perimeter bricking 3s.

They have to upgrade defensively up front, if they want to improve.