Author Topic: Why doesn't Rozier go to the basket more?  (Read 1438 times)

Why doesn't Rozier go to the basket more?
« on: November 30, 2016, 11:05:19 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
There were a few times tonight where Rozier had the ball in corner of the key near the foul line. And, there was a slight opening to the rim. Instead of splitting the defenders Rozier kicked the ball back out.

Didn't seem to make sense for even if he didn't shoot the ball, the drive would have collapsed the defense around him. This might have allowed for a possible kick out pass to the corner or a pass to a cutter.

Not sure why he backed off. Maybe it's because he lacks confidence in his dribbling or afraid to make a mistake. Anyone have a take on this? 

Re: Why doesn't Rozier go to the basket more?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 01:36:25 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
He's still bottom feeding. He's skilled enough to be a first or second option but there is a pecking order and he's waiting for his turn.

I'm guessing it will take 5-6 break out games for him to get more plays called for him.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 01:47:26 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
He's still bottom feeding. He's skilled enough to be a first or second option but there is a pecking order and he's waiting for his turn.

I'm guessing it will take 5-6 break out games for him to get more plays called for him.

I agree with you on this. What do you think the pecking order is? IT>Horford>Bradley>Crowder? or IT>Bradley>Horford>Crowder
#JKJB

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 01:49:20 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
That's going to end up being his game, but after watching Smart force it awkwardly all last season, it's obvious he doesn't want to force it. (I'm not Smart-knocking. Just calling it like I see it. I really like Smart)

When he gets into rhythm on drives, he will be a starter-talent.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 01:50:54 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I think about this too. Lots of times he's got an opening and circles back out. But yeah I think he doesn't want to force it.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
You could say the same about Smart and his brick-throwing from the 3P line. He must stand pretty high in the pecking order to be able to throw up all those bricks. Smart is even more perplexing than Rozier, because his forte is going to the basket.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 04:57:05 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

I agree with you on this. What do you think the pecking order is? IT>Horford>Bradley>Crowder? or IT>Bradley>Horford>Crowder
Some kind of combination you listed with Smart and Olynyk after them. Jerebko and Rozier follow. Amir just gets what he can and if Brown misses a shot he gets yanked.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 05:39:10 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
because no one else does.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 05:39:12 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Rozier is still trying to please Brad, first and foremost-- and is not as aggressive as he will eventually be.  Bottom feeding --recognizing the pecking order, earning his shots is --what i see also.

Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 06:12:15 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
He seems to be focused on "seeing the game" and making the right play.  Too much zigging and zagging, not enough bursting straight at the rim.  He's also too eager to give up his balance on the way to the rim.  He makes fancy off-balance finishes, but in the long run he'll be better off if he just maintains body control and finishes strong.  He's fast enough to beat his man to the spot, just a little too cute.  Once he figures it out, watch out.  His shooting is way ahead of schedule.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 06:26:07 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Agreed. Once Smart realizes TRoz is a better offensive player than he is we will be a better team.

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 06:42:08 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
You could say the same about Smart and his brick-throwing from the 3P line. He must stand pretty high in the pecking order to be able to throw up all those bricks. Smart is even more perplexing than Rozier, because his forte is going to the basket.
If Smart starts shrinking away from those shots and turns into Ricky Rubio, you've got a much bigger problem.  Keep em honest and keep shooting.  He doesn't need to be much better than the 30% he's at.

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 06:44:44 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Yeah, Smart doesn't really have a forte on offense. 

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 06:46:42 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 07:25:02 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
because no one else does.
soft

yes they are.

in fact tommy was just talking about how they're taking so many 3's so they can open lanes for players to get to the basket...

one thing this team will never be mistaken for is an aggressive offensive team that takes it to the basket. last yr. they were dead last in dunks - pretty good indicator.

unless they're just waiting to surprise everyone.