Poll

Is it safe to say that Kelly Olynyk was a good pick by Ainge now?

Yes
60 (63.8%)
No
34 (36.2%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author Topic: Is it safe to say that Kelly Olynyk was a good pick by Ainge now?  (Read 28859 times)

Re: Is it safe to say that Kelly Olynyk was a good pick by Ainge now?
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2016, 11:13:32 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I can't believe anyone likes this doofus.   Awful. 

« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2016, 01:38:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Good Kelly, Bad Kelly one never knows who will show up.

« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2016, 01:54:15 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76

But yet he was still a "safe" pick. Otto Porter was considered a "safe" pick too. Same with Hield. What all these pick should tell you is that  that safe picks rarely ever play out that way. Maybe he was safe because you know his floor, but even then you should take the best available all around prospect with the highest ceiling. Obviously that is up for interpretation (Danny's BPA has completely caught us off guard at times), but nonetheless should still be the strategy.

« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2016, 05:16:05 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
His play on a given night depends on the hair style he's wearing.

The stats show that Kelly is a lot more effective when he's wearing a manbun.

Credit: Chris Forsberg - @ESPNForsberg
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2016, 09:00:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I never liked the Olynyk pick. Just hated his measurements and his lack of playing inside. The Cs originally had I think the 16th pick and I was hoping for Dennis Schoeder or Gorgui Dieng at the 16th slot. We traded up for Olynyk and he has become a truly inconsistent, injury prone non-rebounder whose lack of athleticism really hurts him at the everyday NBA level. I will have no problem if the Cs dont resign him this offseason.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 11:40:03 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I  liked the Olynyk pick. Just hated his measurements and his lack of playing inside. The Cs originally had I think the 16th pick and I was hoping for Dennis Schoeder or Gorgui Dieng at the 16th slot. We traded up for Olynyk and he has become a truly inconsistent, injury prone non-rebounder whose lack of athleticism really hurts him at the everyday NBA level. I will have no problem if the Cs dont resign him this offseason.

I totally understand your sentiments, but this is probably not the plan.

« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2016, 11:25:25 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
His play on a given night depends on the hair style he's wearing.

The stats show that Kelly is a lot more effective when he's wearing a manbun.

Credit: Chris Forsberg - @ESPNForsberg

Manbun Kelly is like Headband Rondo!

« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
The entire draft is a crap shoot, getting a player as good as expected is a good return.

This is an oxymoron. If it's a crap shoot, you don't have specific expectations.

Right, but you do have general expectations based on past drafts and what kind of career players taken at that spot generally have (from stars or starters at the top [though that's much, much more dependent on the strength of the draft than anything], to rotation players in the middle and deep bench players late)
You see that is the rub.  Kenyon Martin was the best player from his draft, so landing him at 1 was the best pick that could have been made.  Of course Kenyon Martin wasn't Lebron James or even Kyrie Irving. 

In a redraft I believe KO goes from 12-15, so I don't consider that a good pick, just an average pick.  I consider a good pick a player that would go higher in a redraft while a great pick is a guy that would go significantly higher.  Similarly, he wasn't a bad pick or a terrible pick. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2016, 07:32:22 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Let me know when he starts playing defense

well, considering he has a 102.1 defensive rating (which is better than our team defensive rating of 105.0), i would say he is playing adequate defense.

in fact, last year he had a defensive rating of 97.7, which was again better than our  elite team defensive rating of 100.9.

so, it appears as though you are wrong here. Olynyk is playing fairly solid defense. perhaps you should target your hatred towards another player on our team
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2016, 11:34:38 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Passing up on a young player with star potential for a nearly 4 years older complimentary role player is never a good pick.
presumably the logic behind Young over hood.
Young never had star potential.  If he had, he wouldn't have fallen to 17.  I'd put Young (and Sully) in the value pick category.

How about the Kings taking Thomas Robinson Damian Lillard, Evan Fournier, Jared Sullinger and Draymond Green in 2012? 

Athleticism and youth were pretty much the only things Robinson had going for him, and consensus was that he had massive upside. 

Or Sacramento selecting Bismack Biyumbo over Klay Thompson in 2011?

« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2016, 06:17:00 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
His defense has been one of his better traits this season. He's worked very hard to become a good defender.
Stevens has mentioned how good his defense has been on multiple occasions.
he was once a poor defender, but that's just not true about him anymore.

Kelly is a very under rated defender. He's not terrible guarding the PG on the pick and roll and his big defense on PnR is often very solid.
His post defense is very good overall too. For his lack of strength, he uses solid technique and IQ to guard most big men well overall.

He's not making the all defensive team but he's miles ahead of someone like Ryan Anderson.
He's still very young and is just going to keep improving. in 3 or 4 years he could be a better version of Ryan Anderson with D.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2016, 07:06:15 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I definitely agree, what's scary about the celtics is that their current core is great already. Add those nets picks and it's a dynasty in the making if things break right for us (nets give us top 3 picks and the prospects develop nicely)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2016, 08:10:36 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I  liked the Olynyk pick. Just hated his measurements and his lack of playing inside. The Cs originally had I think the 16th pick and I was hoping for Dennis Schoeder or Gorgui Dieng at the 16th slot. We traded up for Olynyk and he has become a truly inconsistent, injury prone non-rebounder whose lack of athleticism really hurts him at the everyday NBA level. I will have no problem if the Cs dont resign him this offseason.

I totally understand your sentiments, but this is probably not the plan.

That pic honestly sums up the entire problem with KO to me. Get the Canadian pacifist off my team

« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2016, 08:16:02 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Maybe we should go around talking about how Semih Erden was a good pick. They are both first ballot initiates into the Hall of Low Expectations and Settling.

When did players who deliver about what you would expect, or hope for at a minimum, start becoming "good" picks? When we started to realize Ainge isn't the greatest drafter.

Erden played 69 NBA games (starting 17) despite being the 60th overall pick in his draft.  That's actually a solid-to-good pick.

What would your definition of a good pick be, then? Getting a player that far exceeds their draft position?  If you apply that criteria to every pick made by every GM in the NBA, you won't find any good ones. Ainge should be compared to actual human GMs, not a mythical perfect GM that can see the future and always make the right decision
I would say perhaps a good pick is a pick where the player actually is a solid contributor to a contending team and swapping him out for someone else wouldn't be easy. Leon Powe....good pick. Perk...good pick. Erden.....not a bad pick. Not a good pick.   Then you have to look at context.  You might be able to show various statistics that Darko wasn't actually that bad. I say total bust from the get go because of the context.  JR Giddens. Bad pick made even worse due to context.  KO isn't that great but the context is even worse. The man inspires no fear whatsoever in any opposing team or player. He's not a good pick. Is he the worst pick ever? No? Is he a bad player? No. But was he a good pick? No.

« Reply #134 on: December 05, 2016, 08:16:25 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Hm well he does have some Ryan Anderson with better D upside, so I think we'll sign him with a hometown discount. Also, we picked Lucas Nogueira with the 16th pick and traded him with 2 2nds for KO. I didn't particularly like the move because I thought Nogueira would've been a serviceable big ala Capela, but well we can only hope KO becomes what most of us hope him to be. (stretch 4 with PG skills and ok D)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA