Poll

Is it safe to say that Kelly Olynyk was a good pick by Ainge now?

Yes
60 (63.8%)
No
34 (36.2%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author Topic: Is it safe to say that Kelly Olynyk was a good pick by Ainge now?  (Read 29014 times)

Re: Is it safe to say that Kelly Olynyk was a good pick by Ainge now?
« Reply #135 on: December 05, 2016, 09:47:37 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
His defense has been one of his better traits this season. He's worked very hard to become a good defender.
Stevens has mentioned how good his defense has been on multiple occasions.
he was once a poor defender, but that's just not true about him anymore.

Kelly is a very under rated defender. He's not terrible guarding the PG on the pick and roll and his big defense on PnR is often very solid.
His post defense is very good overall too. For his lack of strength, he uses solid technique and IQ to guard most big men well overall.

He's not making the all defensive team but he's miles ahead of someone like Ryan Anderson.
He's still very young and is just going to keep improving. in 3 or 4 years he could be a better version of Ryan Anderson with D.

But, what if a big gets into the restricted area? .. .Yeah, he's toast.

« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2016, 10:36:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Hm well he does have some Ryan Anderson with better D upside, so I think we'll sign him with a hometown discount. Also, we picked Lucas Nogueira with the 16th pick and traded him with 2 2nds for KO. I didn't particularly like the move because I thought Nogueira would've been a serviceable big ala Capela, but well we can only hope KO becomes what most of us hope him to be. (stretch 4 with PG skills and ok D)
Boston didn't draft Nogueira.  Boston traded up to draft Olynyk before the picks were made, draft day trades just aren't finalized until after the draft. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2016, 10:28:06 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
He's a rich man's Scalabrine, it's only natural Celtics fans should love him.  ::)

« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2016, 10:48:58 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I  liked the Olynyk pick. Just hated his measurements and his lack of playing inside. The Cs originally had I think the 16th pick and I was hoping for Dennis Schoeder or Gorgui Dieng at the 16th slot. We traded up for Olynyk and he has become a truly inconsistent, injury prone non-rebounder whose lack of athleticism really hurts him at the everyday NBA level. I will have no problem if the Cs dont resign him this offseason.

I totally understand your sentiments, but this is probably not the plan.

Yeah, Kelly is probably the reason why Durant didn't sign with the Celtics.  :laugh:

« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2016, 11:59:04 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
In summary it is not yet safe to call Olynyk a good pick
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #140 on: December 07, 2016, 08:38:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I present tonight as a great example of why KO is not a good pick at this point. A good pick (especially where he was picked) isn't a player where it's a pleasant surprise when they have a good game.

« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2016, 08:48:54 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
In summary it is not yet safe to call Olynyk a good pick

No. it's safe to say he was not a good pick. Much better players were taken soon thereafter.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2016, 09:01:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Brad Stevens has GOT to start doing things in pre draft work outs like having a prospect just get punched and if they don't punch back don't draft em. KO doesn't punch back. It's like when Bill Parcels said if they don't nip as puppies when they become dogs they don't bite. KO is just a wimp. Look at him out there. Just happy to be in the NBA and collect a check and try hard. The man should be in some sort of hippie retreat somewhere but he is not a Celtic. It's like how diamond is the toughest thing on Earth. The softest thing is KOenite

« Reply #143 on: December 07, 2016, 09:34:32 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
He was a good pick so I don't hate it. But at 16th (or 13th), I wanted the C's to take their chances with Giannis or Shabazz. What a steal for us if we had picked Giannis. Oh well
- LilRip

« Reply #144 on: December 07, 2016, 09:38:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Brad Stevens has GOT to start doing things in pre draft work outs like having a prospect just get punched and if they don't punch back don't draft em. KO doesn't punch back. It's like when Bill Parcels said if they don't nip as puppies when they become dogs they don't bite. KO is just a wimp. Look at him out there. Just happy to be in the NBA and collect a check and try hard. The man should be in some sort of hippie retreat somewhere but he is not a Celtic. It's like how diamond is the toughest thing on Earth. The softest thing is KOenite

TP ......the truth

« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2016, 07:44:39 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Even if this is the best he'll ever be and his destiny is to top out as a 10-5 guy in 25 minutes a night as the first big off your bench (and a dangerous 3P shooter), that still makes him a pretty good pick at #13 in a weak draft.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #146 on: December 08, 2016, 07:59:03 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
i had a dislocated shoulder with fracture the damage was so severe it wouldn't move no matter what -they call is a clinically frozen shoulder-it takes awhile to get game legs back and confidence in certain actions
i don't see kelly extending when he gets in paint -the good part is that there is a 2nd half of season that gets the team ready for playoffs

« Reply #147 on: December 08, 2016, 08:08:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Even if this is the best he'll ever be and his destiny is to top out as a 10-5 guy in 25 minutes a night as the first big off your bench (and a dangerous 3P shooter), that still makes him a pretty good pick at #13 in a weak draft.
I'm not so sure it was a weak draft in the sense that there were a lot of very good players in it.  Weak in the top end talent, but pretty deep overall.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #148 on: December 08, 2016, 08:17:24 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
It wasn't a weak draft at all. And even if it was then that would mean there were a lot of bad picks and he was one of them.

It's very easy to name 3 guys picked after him we'd rather have by a ton and a couple others that are better difference makers or just better.

You also have to ignore that Steven Adams was picked one pick ahead of him. Pretty huge drop off

« Reply #149 on: December 08, 2016, 08:48:44 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It wasn't a weak draft at all. And even if it was then that would mean there were a lot of bad picks and he was one of them.

It's very easy to name 3 guys picked after him we'd rather have by a ton and a couple others that are better difference makers or just better.

You also have to ignore that Steven Adams was picked one pick ahead of him. Pretty huge drop off

It may be easy for you to name three guys picked after him that you'd rather have "by a ton," but that would be based on fairly subjective criteria I suppose.

He's 9th overall in VORP in his draft class and 8th in WinShares.  Not world beating, but a solid pick at his position.

I also happen to think he's not done improving.  That may sound weird in a sport where lots of kids hit their peak at 23 or 24, but Kelly just strikes me as a classic "late bloomer."  My guess is he learns to maintain he s mental focus better and stay more emotionally even keeled on the court as he grows older and gains more experience.  This will help him be a more consistent pro.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson