Author Topic: Would you trade Jonas Jerebko for Lavoy Allen?  (Read 1172 times)

Would you trade Jonas Jerebko for Lavoy Allen?
« on: November 29, 2016, 03:29:41 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It seems pretty likely that Danny Ainge will only trade for a big man if it is a legitimate star or if it is a player on an expiring contract that he can acquire cheaply. 

Lavoy Allen is on an expiring contract with a team option.  He is a role player who understands that his role is to be a rebounder and embraces it.  He is a solid interior defender, although he lacks the quickness to be good against the pick and pop and can be abused by stretch fours.  He is not particularly useful offensively.  The Pacers could use more three-point shooting (but, then, so could the Celtics).

Allen seems like the sort of dirty work big man that coaches love, so I am not sure the Pacers would give him up, but he is the sort of role player that we wish Jordan Mickey could become (and probably won't end up being).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Would you trade Jonas Jerebko for Lavoy Allen?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 03:35:55 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Probably not. It's a nice idea, but the second unit needs that offense right now, and Jonas, even though he's inconsistent, can provide that for us. I like Allen as a rebounder, but, I guess it's whether you are ok with giving up spacing and offense for rebounding. I'd rather just tough it out.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 03:39:58 PM »

Offline osterhagen

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
So far Jerebko is our best player in last 10 games, he has found his shooting stroke and is playing ok D.

Allen is everything you wrote, rebounder and a big who does dirty work, something we want from Zeller. Logically we would trade Zeller for Allen, but Zeller has better contract in a trade.

If Jerebko hits heavy slump, than the trade is yes, but at the moment big no.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 03:41:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think it moves the needle.  Probably makes the team better on the boards, but worse offensively.  Jerebko knows the system and has higher upside (occasionally goes on scoring spurts).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 03:58:09 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
No, I wouldn't.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 04:08:32 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Not at all.

The way that Jonas has been playing, there's probably even a question right now if Jerebko should be starting in place of Amir
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 04:14:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
No, thanks. At best that's a lateral move. Any trade Ainge makes would, ideally, be of the 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 variety that brings back a superior talent and unclogs the roster. We don't need another guy who is going to top out at 18 minutes per game.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 04:16:34 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Well, I like the idea of Indy as a trading partner.  Their ship is taking on water, fast, and Bird & Ainge know each other quite well obviously.

Maybe Al Jefferson is a versatile enough big man to plug a few holes. (Please note that very little thought went into this suggestion so don't shoot me.)

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 04:23:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
2 years ago, yes.  this year, no.  Lavoy hasn't progressed as much as I had hoped from his Philly days

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 04:50:09 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2921
I'd do Lavoy for Zeller, but I prefer Jonas' versatility to the marginal increase in rebounding.