Author Topic: Magic and Celtics trade idea - Gordon/Hezonja  (Read 14306 times)

Re: Magic and Celtics trade idea - Gordon/Hezonja
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2016, 11:50:27 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Major overpay for players that do not fit the current push to compete now.

Two top 5 pick players and for the package its an overpay?  Its the nets 2018 pick ....

Yes.  Major overpay for guys that do not make the Celtics a better contender this season.

Major overpay for two guys that have not lived up to their drafted position. 

Major overpay when there is little hope for a turnaround for the nets in the next two years.

Fall in love with the draft syndrome

And how do we know the 2018 pick/player t, even top 10 will amount to anything?

If Gordon and Hezonja were at peak we would have to give up a ton... It goes both ways

No.   I just believe it has more value then two guys that have failed to live up to their high draft positions. 

I like Smart, but wouldn't expect to be able to trade him for such a future pick. 

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2016, 11:57:20 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Two top 5 pick players and for the package its an overpay?  Its the nets 2018 pick ....

Yes.  Major overpay for guys that do not make the Celtics a better contender this season.

Major overpay when there is little hope for a turnaround for the nets in the next two years.

If Gordon and Hezonja were at peak we would have to give up a ton... It goes both ways

No.   I just believe it has more value then two guys that have failed to live up to their high draft positions. 

I like Smart, but wouldn't expect to be able to trade him for such a future pick.

Just like with Gordon, Smarts impact cant be measured by stats..

He is worth a 1st round pick

I guess to you Will Barton is worth more than Smart

Or Melo higher than Leonard

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2016, 11:57:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I see very little reason to make this trade, which, BTW, is a gigantic overpay. I can't help but think triboy is suggesting these players because in the last couple of drafts these were the players he liked and said would become something good.

But they haven't.

Gordon is a power forward that can neither play the stretch 4 position because he can't shoot nor the down low PF position because he can't rebound. Most advanced stats say Gordon is a bad player. PER, WS/48, TS%, Reb%, BPM, 3PTr, etc.

Herzonja is even worse.

There's a reason why the Magic suck. Most of their young players are not great players. Why trade for them? Especially if you are giving up a Nets pick.

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2016, 11:58:46 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Just like with Gordon, Smarts impact cant be measured by stats..

He is worth a 1st round pick

I guess to you Will Barton is worth more than Smart

Or Melo higher than Leonard

I didn't say you couldn't get a 1st round pick for Smart. 

I said you couldn't get a 1st round pick with the high lotto chance that the Net's pick represents. 

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2016, 12:25:25 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I see very little reason to make this trade, which, BTW, is a gigantic overpay. I can't help but think triboy is suggesting these players because in the last couple of drafts these were the players he liked and said would become something good.

But they haven't.

Gordon is a power forward that can neither play the stretch 4 position because he can't shoot nor the down low PF position because he can't rebound. Most advanced stats say Gordon is a bad player. PER, WS/48, TS%, Reb%, BPM, 3PTr, etc.

Herzonja is even worse.

There's a reason why the Magic suck. Most of their young players are not great players. Why trade for them? Especially if you are giving up a Nets pick.
Can't bring myself to read the entire string s luckily this post summarizes my thoughts too.  Yeah, let's become the Boston Magic, lol.

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2016, 12:36:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Are we all still in agreement that Aaron Gordon is a better prospect than Jaylen brown despite his cold start ?

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2016, 12:40:11 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Are we all still in agreement that Aaron Gordon is a better prospect than Jaylen brown despite his cold start ?

We're we ever all in agreement about that?

(Actually, have we ever all been in agreement about anything?)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2016, 12:46:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I really liked Gordon in advance of the draft.  I was disappointed we missed a chance at him by one pick.  Hezonja was a mystery before the draft and still is.  I think we could get either of these players for a lot less than the proposed trade.  Both have been disappointments.

I think there is hope for Gordon (I have no idea about Hezonja) but he would be a project, not an immediate rotation player.  If he blossomed as a smaller faster PF, that would be great and fill a nice need for the Celtics but I don't see it anytime soon.  I am not sure I even give up Rozier for Gordon at this point.

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2016, 12:50:49 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

No. 

Gordon is starting to look more and more like a tweener without a position. 

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2016, 12:55:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Are we all still in agreement that Aaron Gordon is a better prospect than Jaylen brown James Young despite his cold start ?
I fixed the question for you. Answer is yes in that case.

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2016, 01:29:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I like Gordon as a defender and as a fast break starter/finisher. Do believe he would be great off the bench but he isn't a starter yet in this league. However he is still young. Also feel Magic shouldn't go selling low right now on both guys. How about three way that helps their SF upgrade, nets them pick, as well as gets us Cousins?

C's trade Rozier, Young, AJ, JJ, Zeller and Nets+Clippers+Grizz 1st.
C's recieve Cousins, Lab and Jeff Green.

Magic trade Gordon, Green and Vucevic
Magic receive Rozier, Gay, AJ, Young and Nets 2018.

Kings trade Cousins, Lab and Gay
Kings recieve Gordon, Vucevic, JJ, Zeller, Nets 2017, Grizz + Clippers 1st.

-Magic upgrade SF starter by a lot, add in a good backup PG and a Nets pick. It's not a bad deal and helps that roster.
-Kings get a few expirings, a good young center, Nets 2017, an exciting young PF in Gordon + an additional two 1st. Not a bad rebuild package.
-C's Yes, have to take back Green but let him play PF off the bench and it's not so bad. He's an upgrade over Jerekbo in that role. They get Cousins the best player in the deal and a stretch 4 prospect incase they can't resign KO.

C's
Starters= IT, AB, Crowder, Hordeford, Cousins
Bench=Smart, Brown, G.Green, J.Green, KO
Reserve= DJ, Mickey, Lab

Magic
Starters=Payton, Fournier, Gay, Ibaka, Biyombo
Bench= Rozier, DJ, Hez, AJ, Zimmerman

Kings
Starters=Collinson, Affalo, Casspi, WCS, Vucevic
Bench=Temple, McLemore, Barnes, Gordon, Koufos

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2016, 04:13:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

But they haven't.

This is probably the case. If Triboy were running the team our bigs would be Sabonis, Mickey, and Gordon. While our PG would be Trey Burke, who Triboy said was the second coming of Chris Paul in his 2013 draft guide.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 04:18:28 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2016, 04:18:44 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Hezonja.. cmon

Kid has talent... Just needs development

Lots of players have talent but they didn`t make it in the NBA

Wasnt that the story on Crowder before he came here?

Sometimes its not about the player only but depending on the coach, roster, opportunity etc

Not exactly.  Crowder had a PER of 11.9 his last year with the Mavs!!!  About 4 times HIGHER than Hezonja this year!!!!

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/dal/year/2014

Smitty77

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2016, 04:20:54 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Who the hell are Hezonja and Wilcox ?? You really guys write every thought that crosses your mind. I don't see that as a quality on this forum.

Mario Hezonja was the 5th overall pick in last year's draft.  I can get not knowing who CJ Wilcox is, but you should know who Hezonja is

I know who he is, but I can CERTAINLY understand WHY the heck many would NOT know who he is!!!!  He has a freaking 2.9 PER.

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/orl/orlando-magic

Come on man!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2016, 04:22:10 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Who the hell are Hezonja and Wilcox ?? You really guys write every thought that crosses your mind. I don't see that as a quality on this forum.

This.

One day we package our BKN picks for Boogie and the other day we are giving them for Aaron Gordon.

Well it would be the 2018 nets 1st not 2017

Well, that changes everything triboy:-))))))

Smitty77