Author Topic: Mark Cuban: Dallas won't tank.  (Read 7712 times)

Re: Mark Cuban: Dallas won't tank.
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2016, 02:12:55 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
And OKC got lucky by hitting on 3 guys who became top 15 players in the league. That doesn't happen very often. I can't think fans in OKC or Seattle are happy about their situation today.

But Cleveland didn't get lucky that the best player in his generation was born in Ohio. Righttttt.

I like how we're completely discounting scouting in the draft as luck, really phenomenal analysis here.

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2016, 12:27:02 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
And OKC got lucky by hitting on 3 guys who became top 15 players in the league. That doesn't happen very often. I can't think fans in OKC or Seattle are happy about their situation today.
Presti is a good judge of Talent. LUCK had nothing to do with it. Harden trade was a mistake but Adams is now a top 5 center. Cuban trade record and FA signings have been terrible. Presit is a Top GM IMO.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2016, 12:40:08 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Presti is a good judge of Talent. LUCK had nothing to do with it. Harden trade was a mistake but Adams is now a top 5 center. Cuban trade record and FA signings have been terrible. Presit is a Top GM IMO.
It was lucky that Portland took Greg Oden #1. Presti didn't have any control over that and that changes their entire franchise. There's always luck involved.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2016, 01:07:04 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
OKC got lucky that the balls bounced the way they did. There's no reason that had to get the #2, #4, and #3 picks (Durant, Harden, Westbrook) in those draft classes. They just have easily could have been #5, #6, and #4 (Jeff Green, Galinari, and Tyreke Evans).

And those weren't even the worst case scenarios: guys like Hasheem Thabeet and Jonny Flynn were picked around OKC's big 3.

Luck had nothing to do with it? I would say that is not true.

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2016, 01:07:18 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Westbrook was drafted behind Michael Beasley and O.J. Mayo and many, if not most, mock drafts had him going after several other players.  Credit Presti with picking him but nobody, not even Presti, really thought Westbrook would turn out to be THIS good.

Mike

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2016, 01:10:57 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
It was lucky that Portland took Greg Oden #1. Presti didn't have any control over that and that changes their entire franchise. There's always luck involved.
So luck comes from no control. If he drafted Conley or Horford he still would have done well for OKC. OKC need no luck to be a good team. Dallas will need it because who have they drafted well.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2016, 02:19:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
OKC got lucky that the balls bounced the way they did. There's no reason that had to get the #2, #4, and #3 picks (Durant, Harden, Westbrook) in those draft classes. They just have easily could have been #5, #6, and #4 (Jeff Green, Galinari, and Tyreke Evans).

And those weren't even the worst case scenarios: guys like Hasheem Thabeet and Jonny Flynn were picked around OKC's big 3.

Luck had nothing to do with it? I would say that is not true.
They were the 2nd worst team in the league the year they picked Westbrook 4th (so they worst they could have picked was 5, so they likely get Russ or Love).  They weren't always getting the balls to bounce their way.  and hey maybe instead of Harden they end up with Curry or DeRozan.  Instead of Russ maybe they get Love.  etc.  When you have a GM who is an excellent drafter you can't just assume they would make the same stupid picks other GM's make.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip