Author Topic: Mark Cuban: Dallas won't tank.  (Read 7728 times)

Re: Mark Cuban: Dallas won't tank.
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2016, 10:24:12 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Rebuilding with dignity is to play your best 5 players more than the other ones, and trying to pursue the best players that you can acquire in Free Agency. Tanking is telling season ticket holders that you are going to collect their $, despite not trying as hard as you can.

It's not like the 76ers are giving money back, are they? Free beers? Those fans deserve something.

Please provide a good example of a team that is successful after years (almost 1/2 decade) of embarrassing tanking.

While the Mavs don't have a long history of success, they have won a championship recently. They have made the playoffs a lot during Dirk's career, and have been a top 10 team of the last 15 years. They should have too much pride to tank. They have a fan base that hopefully is mentally strong to withstand a rebuild with dignity.

I personally think losing games on purpose is taking advantage of the fans and a loophole in the league that allows teams to acquire top talent for not trying.

They are better than perennial losing franchises like Philly, Minny, Phoenix, Washington, etc. I'm glad that Cuban has some respect for the city of Dallas, and hopefully karma will land him (and our Celtics) the next star, regardless of anti-competitive practices across the league.

:o

Boy the detachment from reality is strong on this one. WTH is a rebuild with dignity, overpaying for Harrison Barnes to shoot 28 times a night for the next 4 years while you roll along at a 3-14 pace? That screams dignity to me. They're going to be bad for a long time if they don't hit on a high pick in this draft because the cupboard is bare.
The Sonics/Thunder tanked for 3 years.  They traded off all worthwhile veterans, acquired players in salary dumps acquiring future picks, signed no free agents of note, etc. Pretty straight forward tank job which they used to acquire Jeff Green, Russell Westbrook, James Harden, Serge Ibaka, and countless other draft picks (including the one that became Eric Bledsoe which they traded on draft day for the pick that became Fab Melo). 

So basically from the Ray Allen trade on draft day of 2007 until they acquired Peterson & Aldrich in July of 2010, the Thunder tanked and tanked hard.  The one caveat is they did try to acquire Tyson Chandler at the deadline in 2009, but he failed his physical and then they went back to tanking.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2016, 10:57:55 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Great example. The Seattle fans must be excited by their team now. Also, they won zero (0) rings. I bet they're psyched about their team. I can't believe KD wouldn't want to stay...

You are almost proving my point. Tank, move your team to Oklahoma, lose Harden, Durant, Ibaka before getting a ring, and watch the soul of your team (Russ) play his butt off before he too leaves.

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 11:05:35 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
And OKC got lucky by hitting on 3 guys who became top 15 players in the league. That doesn't happen very often. I can't think fans in OKC or Seattle are happy about their situation today.

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 02:02:48 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Thunder made the NBA Finals and a few weeks later traded Harden away.  Hard to say what they might have been had they kept Harden.  They traded Harden because they didn't want to pay him 4.5 million more on a 4 year contract.

Cheap owners often ruin championship level teams.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 02:20:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'm thinking of tanking myself

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 02:41:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I've tanked dates before

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2016, 02:41:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2016, 02:55:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I've tanked dates before

So have I.

Haha nice. I probably have more of that in my future. Being single again in my mid 30's leads to those kinds of dares 😬

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2016, 02:57:46 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
#JKJB

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2016, 03:07:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Obvious joke is that sometimes the tank chooses you.  But I mean... I find it really hard to believe Dallas will continue at this current pace and turn down some draft picks for Bogut at the deadline.  Doing such a trade = tanking.    Keeping Bogut would suggest they are keeping their team in-tact to put itself in the best position possible to win games in the short-term.  Let's see if they actually do that.  Doubt it.

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2016, 03:35:18 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Obvious joke is that sometimes the tank chooses you.  But I mean... I find it really hard to believe Dallas will continue at this current pace and turn down some draft picks for Bogut at the deadline.  Doing such a trade = tanking.    Keeping Bogut would suggest they are keeping their team in-tact to put itself in the best position possible to win games in the short-term.  Let's see if they actually do that.  Doubt it.

The Mavs presumably plan to reload through free agency, so it depends on if they see Bogut as someone they want to re-sign for 2017-2018 and beyond and if they believe they can do so at an acceptable price, even if they see this season as a lost one.  If their free agent target is a big, like giving Nerlens Noel a near-max offer sheet, then they will be more inclined to trade him.  If they plan on going after a different position, maybe Bogut is the rebounding and defensive center they want next to a waning Dirk.  Maybe they only want assets that are attractive to Sacramento in a possible package for Demarcus Cousins.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2016, 04:55:27 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

How many high picks have Phoenix, Washington, Orlando, New Orleans, Milwaukee, Denver, and Utah had? Philly is such a mess, they should almost be in their own category.

These are some of the teams that have sucked every year for years. You'd think their 5 or 10 year plans were to tank.

Getting the best 19 year old isn't necessarily the only path to success. Dallas should be able to attract Free Agents b/c they have a fanbase, an active and invested owner, a good coach, and a strong reputation.

I think more teams should focus on the franchise as a whole (front office, coaching, players) so that they're not dependent on randomly selecting the next KAT or Kwame Brown.

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

The Mavs presumably plan to reload through free agency, so it depends on if they see Bogut as someone they want to re-sign for 2017-2018 and beyond and if they believe they can do so at an acceptable price, even if they see this season as a lost one.  If their free agent target is a big, like giving Nerlens Noel a near-max offer sheet, then they will be more inclined to trade him.  If they plan on going after a different position, maybe Bogut is the rebounding and defensive center they want next to a waning Dirk.  Maybe they only want assets that are attractive to Sacramento in a possible package for Demarcus Cousins.
Dirk is now out indefinitely. Trade all your vets for young players or picks. Bogut wants to play for a winner. Surely Memphis would give up something for a guard. Dirk farewell Tour next year just like Kobe. Going to be a long process. I think the glow on Cuban has dimmed to a matchstick. Could not happen to a better guy.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2016, 02:08:04 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Rebuilding with dignity is to play your best 5 players more than the other ones, and trying to pursue the best players that you can acquire in Free Agency. Tanking is telling season ticket holders that you are going to collect their $, despite not trying as hard as you can.

It's not like the 76ers are giving money back, are they? Free beers? Those fans deserve something.

Please provide a good example of a team that is successful after years (almost 1/2 decade) of embarrassing tanking.

While the Mavs don't have a long history of success, they have won a championship recently. They have made the playoffs a lot during Dirk's career, and have been a top 10 team of the last 15 years. They should have too much pride to tank. They have a fan base that hopefully is mentally strong to withstand a rebuild with dignity.

I personally think losing games on purpose is taking advantage of the fans and a loophole in the league that allows teams to acquire top talent for not trying.

They are better than perennial losing franchises like Philly, Minny, Phoenix, Washington, etc. I'm glad that Cuban has some respect for the city of Dallas, and hopefully karma will land him (and our Celtics) the next star, regardless of anti-competitive practices across the league.

:o

Boy the detachment from reality is strong on this one. WTH is a rebuild with dignity, overpaying for Harrison Barnes to shoot 28 times a night for the next 4 years while you roll along at a 3-14 pace? That screams dignity to me. They're going to be bad for a long time if they don't hit on a high pick in this draft because the cupboard is bare.

Oklahoma City.

Golden State.

LA Clippers.

Houston Rockets with Hakeem.

Chicago Bulls with Jordan.

All tanked, all were/are awesome.

And the bolded part, are you high? What kind of deals do you think bad teams get in FA? They overpay for mediocre players like Harrison Barnes so they can go 3-15, with digniy though apparently.

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2016, 02:10:14 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

How many high picks have Phoenix, Washington, Orlando, New Orleans, Milwaukee, Denver, and Utah had? Philly is such a mess, they should almost be in their own category.

These are some of the teams that have sucked every year for years. You'd think their 5 or 10 year plans were to tank.

Getting the best 19 year old isn't necessarily the only path to success. Dallas should be able to attract Free Agents b/c they have a fanbase, an active and invested owner, a good coach, and a strong reputation.

I think more teams should focus on the franchise as a whole (front office, coaching, players) so that they're not dependent on randomly selecting the next KAT or Kwame Brown.

Dallas hasn't signed a good FA since Parsons, and he was a guy whose knees were regarded as a ticking time bomb. That strategy is what got them here. But yeah, go ahead Cubes keeping trying to toss that Cheddar. I'm sure in a league with a dozen teams that have Max space you're signing a top 10 guy as one of the worst teams in basketball.