Author Topic: Mark Cuban: Dallas won't tank.  (Read 7781 times)

Mark Cuban: Dallas won't tank.
« on: November 28, 2016, 07:02:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/nba/story/mark-cuban-explains-why-the-mavericks-will-never-tank-an-nba-season-112816.amp.html?client=ms-android-verizon

Interesting stuff from Cuban regarding whether his team will tank or not.

"There are so many teams that became four years away from four years away because guys just learned how to lose," Cuban said. "They stopped caring about any individual game and just got used to it, and you don't want guys developing those bad habits. We have so many young guys on this team, we want the games to mean something. Not to be, 'OK, who are we going to pull in the fourth quarter so we can lose this game?' That's not how teams develop good habits.

"The only way you overcome that is to have the ultimate superstar carry you through, and it's tough to draft the ultimate superstar. I don't see any Shaqs or LeBrons or Tim Duncans in this draft, so I don't think that's the right way to do it. You just ignore the haters, let them [complain], and go about your business."

Re: Mark Cuban: Dallas won't tank.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 07:06:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/nba/story/mark-cuban-explains-why-the-mavericks-will-never-tank-an-nba-season-112816.amp.html?client=ms-android-verizon

Interesting stuff from Cuban regarding whether his team will tank or not.

"There are so many teams that became four years away from four years away because guys just learned how to lose," Cuban said. "They stopped caring about any individual game and just got used to it, and you don't want guys developing those bad habits. We have so many young guys on this team, we want the games to mean something. Not to be, 'OK, who are we going to pull in the fourth quarter so we can lose this game?' That's not how teams develop good habits.

"The only way you overcome that is to have the ultimate superstar carry you through, and it's tough to draft the ultimate superstar. I don't see any Shaqs or LeBrons or Tim Duncans in this draft, so I don't think that's the right way to do it. You just ignore the haters, let them [complain], and go about your business."

Well there is a difference between pulling stuff in the 4th quarter making moves that make sense. It doesn't make sense to make a 30 some year old Bogut play for them when they could get back a younger player that fits alongside Barnes and whatever young players they have that they like. It doesn't really make sense to keep Dirk (unless Dirk has made it clear he wants to stay there). It doesn't make sense to really keep barea when they could develop a younger gard. I do think keeping Barnes and Anderson and perhaps Matthews could make sense and keep playing them.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Still think that trade I proposed yesterday in the Wolves thread makes sense for both teams

Rubio and Aldrich for Bogut and Barea

Think that would help both teams immensely. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 08:38:23 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I never thought Dallas would tank.  They won't be having a firesale.  They are going to be as good as possible while Dirk and Carslile are there.  That should be obvious.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 11:38:39 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I never thought Dallas would tank.  They won't be having a firesale.  They are going to be as good as possible while Dirk and Carslile are there.  That should be obvious.
This is what I think also, Carlisle and Nowitzki have always been out to win every game they can so they can make it to the playoffs where, as long as you have a player like Dirk, anything can happen. Yes, I know Dirk is old and unable to be a superduperstar anymore, but I am sure he and Carlisle don't see it that way.

I also don't think Cuban would have anything to do with purposely making his team worse to get a better draft slot.

For those reasons I don't see a major trade off of players or overt tanking. Dallas is more likely to make a trade like they did for Rondo than they are dealing anyone valuable for lesser talent.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 11:46:49 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
This is what I think also, Carlisle and Nowitzki have always been out to win every game they can so they can make it to the playoffs where, as long as you have a player like Dirk, anything can happen. Yes, I know Dirk is old and unable to be a superduperstar anymore, but I am sure he and Carlisle don't see it that way.

I also don't think Cuban would have anything to do with purposely making his team worse to get a better draft slot.

For those reasons I don't see a major trade off of players or overt tanking. Dallas is more likely to make a trade like they did for Rondo than they are dealing anyone valuable for lesser talent.
Bogut could still be traded to us. We have some pieces that could help. Young and Zeller and some seconds. Bring up our Nader. Win win for us both.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 12:03:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Bogut could still be traded to us. We have some pieces that could help. Young and Zeller and some seconds. Bring up our Nader. Win win for us both.
No, its not.

Dallas trades away a center that can anchor a defense, grab more than 10 rebounds a game, is historically an efficient though low scorer and all we give up are two garbage players and two garbage second round picks? No way Dallas does that

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 12:07:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

No, its not.

Dallas trades away a center that can anchor a defense, grab more than 10 rebounds a game, is historically an efficient though low scorer and all we give up are two garbage players and two garbage second round picks? No way Dallas does that
Yep.  Would take at least a 1st.

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 12:13:22 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Considering how awful they've been, this may be a distinction without a difference.

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 12:22:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

No, its not.

I only half agree.  It depends if they intend to keep Bogut beyond this season.  If they're looking at an extension, then no way do they trade him.  But if that doesn't happen, and he won't be with the team next year, I would expect they'd trade him at the deadline if they're still near the bottom of the standings.  And if so, what's Bogut's market?  He's a good player, but he's not a star.  He's a half-season rental with significant injury history, and hasn't made it through to the end of the playoffs in the last three years.  Do you give up a decent prospect for that? Maybe two seconds is a little cheap (although the 2nd we get from Minny could be of decent value by the deadline), but I can't see it being much more than the rather protected 1st we have of the Clippers in 2019.  Most of the potential suitors of Bogut will have 1sts in the 20s.  If the Minny pick looks to be around 35, it's not a huge difference.

EDIT:  I'd point out that Dallas got Bogut and a 2nd in July for a top 55 protected pick in 2019.  The market for him was not terribly high as of 5 months ago.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 12:42:19 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

No, its not.

I only half agree.  It depends if they intend to keep Bogut beyond this season.  If they're looking at an extension, then no way do they trade him.  But if that doesn't happen, and he won't be with the team next year, I would expect they'd trade him at the deadline if they're still near the bottom of the standings.  And if so, what's Bogut's market?  He's a good player, but he's not a star.  He's a half-season rental with significant injury history, and hasn't made it through to the end of the playoffs in the last three years.  Do you give up a decent prospect for that? Maybe two seconds is a little cheap (although the 2nd we get from Minny could be of decent value by the deadline), but I can't see it being much more than the rather protected 1st we have of the Clippers in 2019.  Most of the potential suitors of Bogut will have 1sts in the 20s.  If the Minny pick looks to be around 35, it's not a huge difference.

EDIT:  I'd point out that Dallas got Bogut and a 2nd in July for a top 55 protected pick in 2019.  The market for him was not terribly high as of 5 months ago.

It wasn't high because Golden State HAD to trade him. Durant announced he was going to GSW, and the dominoes needed to fall. Thus the price dropped.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 12:46:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

No, its not.

It wasn't high because Golden State HAD to trade him. Durant announced he was going to GSW, and the dominoes needed to fall. Thus the price dropped.
and they needed a team that had cap room that had need of a center.

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 01:20:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

No, its not.

and they needed a team that had cap room that had need of a center.

That's silly.  Again, GSW traded AWAY a pick to move him.  There are currently 6 teams who still have enough CAP ROOM to have taken Bogut on, now that the season has started.  5 of them are under the salary floor even.  If Bogut should be reasonably expected to bring back a 1st rounder at the trade deadline, why wouldn't one of those teams have just taken him on for free, rather than getting a nominal 2nd in return?  Not to mention that at the time Bogut was traded, there were many other teams that still had cap room and ended up spending a lot more on a center.  Heck, it wouldn't have been very difficult for Boston to create the room to acquire Bogut back in July -- they'd have just had to let Zeller walk and find someone to dump James Young on for a 2nd rounder.  The market for Bogut 5 months ago was clearly sparse, and I find it unlikely that it will magically turn into one that costs a 1st rounder in February should Dallas go that route.

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 01:22:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
What I loved about the article in the original post is that Dallas won't tank and so Brooklyn's pick should look like a top 2-3 pick in the league.

Lakers are better
Philly should be better
Dallas will do whatever to win

And Brooklyn had their little start of the season win streak and now should suck.

Looks good for the 2017 pick!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 01:26:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
They don't have a " Tanking " type coach .....you hire a NOBOdY like Philly and Lakers did ....some warm body who can take th mental abuse and just wants to,be in the NBA with a nice pay check. Once you get a few new top pics ...hire a real coach

Too much like CBS .    Danny tried to tank CBS .....but CBS loves a challenge .....bettering the best teams with scrubs and cast offs is how he is used too working. .

Dallas won't sit around waiting for a Townes or Embiid to drop in their laps .