Author Topic: The Wolves Young Core  (Read 7460 times)

Re: The Wolves Young Core
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2016, 09:47:19 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

I know their age is similar, but a 21 year old with 4 years experience in the NBA (and a couple professional overseas) is a big difference from a 21 year old with 2 years of experience.

The Greek A2 division would like to honor you in a special event for calling the A2 league "professional"  ;D

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2016, 01:57:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The Wolves young core is probably the best in young core in basketball. Good drafting and luck have led them to a great combination of guys who actually compliment each other well.

I would still rather have the Lakers young core. They all fit together and, while they aren't that good defensively, they are an absolutely ELITE offensive group of guys.

Nope. Because stars win in The League, and KAT is the best young player in the game.

By the way, I think there's an excellent chance Thibs trades one of Wiggins or Lavine before next summers draft.
What makes KAT the best young player in the game?  He's very good offensively but his defense is average at best.  I'd still consider Davis young and definitely better than KAT.  Giannis is really stepping up his game this season.  If Embiid stays healthy, he'll be a very good 2 way player.
Anyone on a second contract I would no longer consider a young player?  That is me personally of course.
I can understand that but I don't see how Giannis, who has not turned 22 yet, can be considered anything other than young.  When the question of who are the young players you'd like to build around comes up, Giannis and Davis are certainly in the discussion.  I'd consider anyone under 25 to still be a young player.
Giannis isn't on a second contract.  Davis is, so that is the divider for me.

As for the guys on a 1st contract still, it really comes down to

KAT
Giannis
Wiggins
Embiid
Jokic
Porzingis
Simmons

But in reality, it would really just be KAT or if your a gambler Embiid.  Giannis, Porzingis, and Wiggins have shown star potential and Jokic and Simmons have immense skill and potential, but KAT and Embiid are the only two that have shown franchise changing potential (thus far).

That said if I could pick any player to build a team around it would probably be Davis though Durant and James would also get consideration for me depending on what you told me I could do with the rest of the team.
The TWolves still suck with all their good young talent.  So how has KAT shown that he has franchise changing potential?
He is a 21 year old, 2nd year player who had one of the best all around rookie seasons in NBA history. 

The Bulls didn't even have a winning record until Jordan's 4th year.  The Thunder won 20 games in Durant's rookie year (also Green's rookie year) and 23 games in Durant's 2nd year (which was also Westbrook's rookie year). 

The Lebron James and Shaquille O'Neal's of the world are pretty rare in leading teams to winning records in year 2.
I just haven't seen enough from Towns to consider him franchise changing yet. Towns is very good offensively but he's not a good defender.   Thibs said that their team is missing something.  Now would be a good time for Town to step up and provide that something to get them to the next level. 

With their talent and all the weak teams in the West, the TWolves ought to be in contention for the 8th seed.  The TWolves only 5 wins this season are against bottom feeders and Memphis without Gasol and Conley.  The TWolves are 0-7 in games decided by single digits.  The TWolves are poor on defense.  Their 1st half offensive efficiency is at the top of the league but their 2nd half offensive efficiency is bottom of the league.  Let's see Towns step up to provide a spark on defense or to take charge in the 2nd half to make their offense more efficient.
Towns will never be an elite defender, but he has shown enough potential and is good enough on that end that his elite offensive and rebounding skills make him a franchise changer.

As I've said in this thread, the Wolves have a couple of problems.  First, Towns and Dieng is not a great pairing.  They don't mesh well.  Put Towns with a guy like Chandler/Bogut/etc. and I think there is a vastly different perception of Towns.  Second, none of the three main smalls are good defenders.  Wiggins has the potential to be but hasn't put it together, but Lavine and Rubio are not good defenders.  Rubio is a good steal generator but his man to man is very poor and Lavine might as well just camp out on the offensive end he is so bad.  They need a better defender from the smalls and could use a guy that is a better shooter at the point.  With a couple of minor trades to fix those issues, I think the Wolves are a much better team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2016, 06:52:21 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2016, 08:15:25 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

The Wolves young core is probably the best in young core in basketball. Good drafting and luck have led them to a great combination of guys who actually compliment each other well.

I would still rather have the Lakers young core. They all fit together and, while they aren't that good defensively, they are an absolutely ELITE offensive group of guys.

Nope. Because stars win in The League, and KAT is the best young player in the game.

By the way, I think there's an excellent chance Thibs trades one of Wiggins or Lavine before next summers draft.
What makes KAT the best young player in the game?  He's very good offensively but his defense is average at best.  I'd still consider Davis young and definitely better than KAT.  Giannis is really stepping up his game this season.  If Embiid stays healthy, he'll be a very good 2 way player.
Anyone on a second contract I would no longer consider a young player?  That is me personally of course.
I can understand that but I don't see how Giannis, who has not turned 22 yet, can be considered anything other than young.  When the question of who are the young players you'd like to build around comes up, Giannis and Davis are certainly in the discussion.  I'd consider anyone under 25 to still be a young player.

And, Giannis is still on his rookie contract until next season.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2016, 08:22:14 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I know their age is similar, but a 21 year old with 4 years experience in the NBA (and a couple professional overseas) is a big difference from a 21 year old with 2 years of experience.

The Greek A2 division would like to honor you in a special event for calling the A2 league "professional"  ;D

Hah.  Which is more "professional," a year at Kentucky or Kansas or a year in the Greek second division?  Hmm
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2016, 05:22:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The task facing the Wolves now isn't especially complicated.

You've got Wiggins, Lavine, and Towns.  Three young, exciting talents.  All three have 20+ ppg ability, and their skills are complementary.

Great.

Now you just need to find the right role players to put around them.

You don't need to worry about adding more talent via the lottery.  You don't need to worry about adding big name free agents.

Just find the right supporting cast and place your trust in your coach -- Thibs -- to maximize what they can do.

As far as role players, I think Dieng is a nice start, though he's expendable given the positional overlap with Towns.

Rubio is nice, but I think they need a more capable finisher at the point of attack.

Dunn has some upside, but I'm not sure he'll ever be efficient or under control enough to be the lead guard.  Skill / style overlap with Lavine, who is more talented and a better shooter.

What else do they have?  Not much.  Bjelica can't defend, but he can spread the floor at the big positions.  Muhammad is not an end of bench scorer.  Expendable.

They've got their work cut out for them, but it shouldn't take a lot of complicated manuevers.  You've got your talent, now find role players to put around it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain