Author Topic: The Wolves Young Core  (Read 7473 times)

Re: The Wolves Young Core
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2016, 08:33:13 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Big numbers means nothing if your team is losing.
Why is it so hard to understand for most of the people.

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I really agree that players must win to cement their abilities in the NBA. In this sense, the Wolves core is not proven talent or stars.

But I struggle to say that some other team has a better young core, even though they aren't proven yet.

I'd say that the Wolves are going through significant growing pains right now. The engine that makes the team go is young, and the driver has only been coaching them for a few months. I actually agree with Thibs that they need an established starter who has been in a winning situation.

The Lakers have a new coach and a young core too, but they also have Mozgov, Williams, Young, and Deng to propel their team. Randle and Clarkson are both older than the Wolves core too.

The Wolves will grow and learn to win throughout this season.

Man, Lavine had a good night last night. 27, 8, and 8.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 10:06:27 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2016, 10:37:57 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

The Wolves young core is probably the best in young core in basketball. Good drafting and luck have led them to a great combination of guys who actually compliment each other well.

I would still rather have the Lakers young core. They all fit together and, while they aren't that good defensively, they are an absolutely ELITE offensive group of guys.

Nope. Because stars win in The League, and KAT is the best young player in the game.

By the way, I think there's an excellent chance Thibs trades one of Wiggins or Lavine before next summers draft.
What makes KAT the best young player in the game?  He's very good offensively but his defense is average at best.  I'd still consider Davis young and definitely better than KAT.  Giannis is really stepping up his game this season.  If Embiid stays healthy, he'll be a very good 2 way player. 

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2016, 10:46:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

The Wolves young core is probably the best in young core in basketball. Good drafting and luck have led them to a great combination of guys who actually compliment each other well.

I would still rather have the Lakers young core. They all fit together and, while they aren't that good defensively, they are an absolutely ELITE offensive group of guys.

Nope. Because stars win in The League, and KAT is the best young player in the game.

By the way, I think there's an excellent chance Thibs trades one of Wiggins or Lavine before next summers draft.
What makes KAT the best young player in the game?  He's very good offensively but his defense is average at best.  I'd still consider Davis young and definitely better than KAT.  Giannis is really stepping up his game this season.  If Embiid stays healthy, he'll be a very good 2 way player.
Anyone on a second contract I would no longer consider a young player?  That is me personally of course. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2016, 10:53:51 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I have a lot of skepticism towards players who have the physical tools to be good defenders but who seem to lack something mentally that prevents them from being good team defenders.  If that describes any of their core (and I don't really watch the T-Wolves), then I probably would rate the team lower than other people who get easily wowed by shiny things dazzling displays of athleticism.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2016, 11:38:25 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Anyone on a second contract I would no longer consider a young player?  That is me personally of course.
I can understand that but I don't see how Giannis, who has not turned 22 yet, can be considered anything other than young.  When the question of who are the young players you'd like to build around comes up, Giannis and Davis are certainly in the discussion.  I'd consider anyone under 25 to still be a young player.   

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2016, 11:39:18 AM »

• Paul Silas

It's kind of unfair to compare Giannis to Kat, seeing as he has several more years of experience.

Embiid's defense has been average, and his offense so far has been inefficient. That being said, Embiid's future looks bright.

I'm not wanting to get into the ranking game, but there is no denying that KAT is one of the best young prospects in the NBA.

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2016, 11:57:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I can understand that but I don't see how Giannis, who has not turned 22 yet, can be considered anything other than young.  When the question of who are the young players you'd like to build around comes up, Giannis and Davis are certainly in the discussion.  I'd consider anyone under 25 to still be a young player.
Giannis isn't on a second contract.  Davis is, so that is the divider for me.

As for the guys on a 1st contract still, it really comes down to

KAT
Giannis
Wiggins
Embiid
Jokic
Porzingis
Simmons

But in reality, it would really just be KAT or if your a gambler Embiid.  Giannis, Porzingis, and Wiggins have shown star potential and Jokic and Simmons have immense skill and potential, but KAT and Embiid are the only two that have shown franchise changing potential (thus far).

That said if I could pick any player to build a team around it would probably be Davis though Durant and James would also get consideration for me depending on what you told me I could do with the rest of the team.

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2016, 07:34:26 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

It's kind of unfair to compare Giannis to Kat, seeing as he has several more years of experience.

Embiid's defense has been average, and his offense so far has been inefficient. That being said, Embiid's future looks bright.

I'm not wanting to get into the ranking game, but there is no denying that KAT is one of the best young prospects in the NBA.
Giannis isn't not quite a year older than KAT.  It is certainly fair to compare to them.  Embiid's defense has been quite good.  His offense has been efficient with the exception of the turnovers. 

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2016, 07:37:51 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

KAT
Giannis
Wiggins
Embiid
Jokic
Porzingis
Simmons

But in reality, it would really just be KAT or if your a gambler Embiid.  Giannis, Porzingis, and Wiggins have shown star potential and Jokic and Simmons have immense skill and potential, but KAT and Embiid are the only two that have shown franchise changing potential (thus far).

That said if I could pick any player to build a team around it would probably be Davis though Durant and James would also get consideration for me depending on what you told me I could do with the rest of the team.
The TWolves still suck with all their good young talent.  So how has KAT shown that he has franchise changing potential? 

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2016, 08:22:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

KAT
Giannis
Wiggins
Embiid
Jokic
Porzingis
Simmons

The TWolves still suck with all their good young talent.  So how has KAT shown that he has franchise changing potential?
He is a 21 year old, 2nd year player who had one of the best all around rookie seasons in NBA history. 

The Bulls didn't even have a winning record until Jordan's 4th year.  The Thunder won 20 games in Durant's rookie year (also Green's rookie year) and 23 games in Durant's 2nd year (which was also Westbrook's rookie year). 

The Lebron James and Shaquille O'Neal's of the world are pretty rare in leading teams to winning records in year 2. 

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2016, 09:06:31 AM »

• Paul Silas

Giannis isn't not quite a year older than KAT.  It is certainly fair to compare to them.  Embiid's defense has been quite good.  His offense has been efficient with the exception of the turnovers.

I know their age is similar, but a 21 year old with 4 years experience in the NBA (and a couple professional overseas) is a big difference from a 21 year old with 2 years of experience.

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2016, 09:19:15 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

KAT
Giannis
Wiggins
Embiid
Jokic
Porzingis
Simmons

He is a 21 year old, 2nd year player who had one of the best all around rookie seasons in NBA history. 

The Bulls didn't even have a winning record until Jordan's 4th year.  The Thunder won 20 games in Durant's rookie year (also Green's rookie year) and 23 games in Durant's 2nd year (which was also Westbrook's rookie year). 

The Lebron James and Shaquille O'Neal's of the world are pretty rare in leading teams to winning records in year 2.
I just haven't seen enough from Towns to consider him franchise changing yet. Towns is very good offensively but he's not a good defender.   Thibs said that their team is missing something.  Now would be a good time for Town to step up and provide that something to get them to the next level. 

With their talent and all the weak teams in the West, the TWolves ought to be in contention for the 8th seed.  The TWolves only 5 wins this season are against bottom feeders and Memphis without Gasol and Conley.  The TWolves are 0-7 in games decided by single digits.  The TWolves are poor on defense.  Their 1st half offensive efficiency is at the top of the league but their 2nd half offensive efficiency is bottom of the league.  Let's see Towns step up to provide a spark on defense or to take charge in the 2nd half to make their offense more efficient. 

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2016, 09:28:48 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Kevin Pelton has a story on the TWolves struggles but I'm not an ESPN insider. 
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/18168536/why-andrew-wiggins-minnesota-timberwolves-good-bad-nba

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2016, 09:43:07 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I know their age is similar, but a 21 year old with 4 years experience in the NBA (and a couple professional overseas) is a big difference from a 21 year old with 2 years of experience.
It is certainly a difference to take into account but that doesn't mean they can't be compared when you're discussing best young players.