Author Topic: The Wolves Young Core  (Read 7488 times)

Re: The Wolves Young Core
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 06:35:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Celticsclay, would you say that DeRozan is on the same level as Davis, Durant, Curry, James, Harden, Westbrook, Cousins, George, Paul, Griffin, or Leonard?

I'd say he is at the top of the next tier, but he is not at the same level as those players.

Advanced stats have never loved him. He is ranked 10th in RPM as a shooting guard this year. Last year he was 23th. He has got a little Rudy Gay to his game.

I would say he is as good as some of those players. He is really pretty similar to Griffin, Harden,  Cousins and George. What makes those players so much better? If you pair Griffin with Lowry and Valuncias and the rest of the Raptor roster is that team any better than second in the east? If you put Harden on there are they any better or worse? Derozen flies under the radar because he doesn't have the ferocious dunks of Griffin or the flashy marketing of Harden and his beard. However, Harden has played with a similar level of talent as Derozen the last few years and his team, except for one year when they had a high performing bench? I was higher on George at one point because he seems to be a complete player, but what are his teams doing?

Derozen really gets a raw deal from playing in Canada and being best at long range jumpers which couldn't be less exciting in a highlight.

Fair enough. I disagree, but trying to get a consensus of ranking players is impossible.

Since I view Wiggins as similar to DeRozan or Gay, I assess his ceiling as a secondary star.

That might explain how high I am on Lavine.

What does Derozan have to do beyond average 30 points to be considered a true star? That seems insane. For several years Harden was considered a superstar when all he did was score 30 a game with horrible defense and limited playmaking (that has obviously changed this year).

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 07:45:27 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
Celticsclay, would you say that DeRozan is on the same level as Davis, Durant, Curry, James, Harden, Westbrook, Cousins, George, Paul, Griffin, or Leonard?

I'd say he is at the top of the next tier, but he is not at the same level as those players.

Advanced stats have never loved him. He is ranked 10th in RPM as a shooting guard this year. Last year he was 23th. He has got a little Rudy Gay to his game.

I would say he is as good as some of those players. He is really pretty similar to Griffin, Harden,  Cousins and George. What makes those players so much better? If you pair Griffin with Lowry and Valuncias and the rest of the Raptor roster is that team any better than second in the east? If you put Harden on there are they any better or worse? Derozen flies under the radar because he doesn't have the ferocious dunks of Griffin or the flashy marketing of Harden and his beard. However, Harden has played with a similar level of talent as Derozen the last few years and his team, except for one year when they had a high performing bench? I was higher on George at one point because he seems to be a complete player, but what are his teams doing?

Derozen really gets a raw deal from playing in Canada and being best at long range jumpers which couldn't be less exciting in a highlight.

Fair enough. I disagree, but trying to get a consensus of ranking players is impossible.

Since I view Wiggins as similar to DeRozan or Gay, I assess his ceiling as a secondary star.

That might explain how high I am on Lavine.

What does Derozan have to do beyond average 30 points to be considered a true star? That seems insane. For several years Harden was considered a superstar when all he did was score 30 a game with horrible defense and limited playmaking (that has obviously changed this year).

In fairness, I said he was a star. Don't misrepresent me.

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 10:59:53 PM »

Offline Dennis_D

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
The Wolves young core is probably the best in young core in basketball.
The Wolves are 5-12, tied for fifth worse record in the NBA. Back before the season started when FiveThirtyEight predicted the Wolves would go 46-36, it made sense to talk about the Wolves having the best young core in basketball. Now, not so much.

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 11:00:56 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
LaVine had 28, 8, and 8 tonight, on 9/17 shooting in 44 minutes, offset by 4 turnovers.

If that report is true (that Thibs wants to get a veteran in exchange for a young player), i wonder who he would want. the report said he wanted a player he had coached before...did Thibs coach Avery?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 11:05:22 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
LaVine had 28, 8, and 8 tonight, on 9/17 shooting in 44 minutes, offset by 4 turnovers.

If that report is true (that Thibs wants to get a veteran in exchange for a young player), i wonder who he would want. the report said he wanted a player he had coached before...did Thibs coach Avery?
If we wanted to take a step back to get a future star we could offer Crowder for Levine. Thibs would love a player like Crowder.

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 11:09:09 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

If we wanted to take a step back to get a future star we could offer Crowder for Levine. Thibs would love a player like Crowder.

honestly, i think i would seriously consider that. i dont know whether they'd consider it though. LaVine just looks so [dang] good. it would also leave us very thin at the 3. helps get Jaylen more playing time, though.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 11:19:25 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Starting to think Thibs isnt a good coach for that team.

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 11:20:25 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

honestly, i think i would seriously consider that. i dont know whether they'd consider it though. LaVine just looks so [dang] good. it would also leave us very thin at the 3. helps get Jaylen more playing time, though.
It would be a tough sell to both fan bases. If I'm the Wolves I preach patience but Thibs is very impatient. I think they hired him 1-2 years too early.

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2016, 12:18:18 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 556
The Wolves young core is probably the best in young core in basketball. Good drafting and luck have led them to a great combination of guys who actually compliment each other well.
I don't think the TWolves core is that complimentary.  None of the three are good defenders.  To improve as a team, I think Wiggins needs to refocus on defense to become a better overall player and let LaVine and Towns be the primary offensive weapons. 

If they don't show improvement soon, the TWolves claim to having the best young core may not last much longer than it takes Simmons to return.  When Ingram's shooting improves, the Lakers could pass them as well.  With Parker improving and Giannis reaching star status, the Bucks are back in contention too. 

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2016, 12:26:31 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

The Wolves young core is probably the best in young core in basketball. Good drafting and luck have led them to a great combination of guys who actually compliment each other well.

I would still rather have the Lakers young core. They all fit together and, while they aren't that good defensively, they are an absolutely ELITE offensive group of guys.

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2016, 12:58:07 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 556

I would still rather have the Lakers young core. They all fit together and, while they aren't that good defensively, they are an absolutely ELITE offensive group of guys.
Ingram should become a good defender but Russell, Randle and Clarkson will be average at best.  It will be interesting to see how they build around their young core.  Do they use their available cap space re-signing Young?  Do they trade Clarkson?     

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2016, 12:59:47 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
the biggest surprise of the season for me so far other than Joel Embiid already looking like an All-NBA talent ... is that the Wolves still suck.   5-12 so far.   It's strange.  I still think they'll make a run.   Too much talent there for them to keep losing like this.

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2016, 01:34:28 AM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Lavine strikes me as a very selfish player. He may have games like today (28-8-8) but he still chucks away more often than not. I was watching NBA TV the other day and Sam Mitchell commented that Lavine should learn to pass more. He can easily get to the rim, it's just a matter of knowing when to drop/kick out or go all the way. If Minny could trade him for a veteran pass first PG who can score as well (Rubio just doesn't cut it anymore), then maybe the Twolves would start rolling.

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2016, 07:48:49 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Nope. Because stars win in The League, and KAT is the best young player in the game.

By the way, I think there's an excellent chance Thibs trades one of Wiggins or Lavine before next summers draft. 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2016, 08:28:15 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557

Nope. Because stars win in The League, and KAT is the best young player in the game.

By the way, I think there's an excellent chance Thibs trades one of Wiggins or Lavine before next summers draft.
which would likely be a mistake.  Thibs needs to trade Rubio and maybe Dieng and Dunn.  Not necessarily all of them, but a couple of them to put the roster better together.  Minnesota needs a defensive minded dirty work veteran center (like Bogut or Chandler) and they need a pass 1st PG that is a solid shooter.  You know a guy that isn't looking to score but that can actually hit an open three when called upon.  Guys like Barea, Bayless, etc. fit that bill.  Those are guys that won't require much to acquire, but would just fit in better overall. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip