Author Topic: Everyone is fair game except...  (Read 2982 times)

Everyone is fair game except...
« on: November 26, 2016, 12:04:08 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Al Horford, IT and Marcus Smart. I would entertain a deal involving ANYONE else on this team. Now some of you are going to jump on that and defend AB, Crowder, Rozier, Jaylen Brown, Olynyk, etc and that is fine. I defend them frequently too. The thing is, you have to give up something of real value to get back real value.

Horford and Smart impact the game in so many ways.  Smart is still not perfect but he has taken a step forward this season.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 12:36:07 PM by Surferdad »

Re: Everyone is fair game except...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 12:12:47 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Only Horford is untouchable.  No way I turn down a deal for a superstar just because they demand Smart.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 12:16:36 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I don't see IT being traded unless it's for a top 5-10 player.

IT, like it or not, is the face of this franchise.

Horford came here to play with him.

Trading IT now would be some bad juju.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 12:26:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
You realize without IT.. This team is probably like 4-12 right now...

Dude is averaging like 26+ per game and is our main offensive force in the scoring department.

You people are hilarious, without IT, Horford isn't coming here and there's a good chance this team is still tanking/rebuilding, meaning no Crowder either (he said he wouldn't have stayed if tanking was the continuing goal).

Everyone complaining about rebounding and perimeter Defense now would be the same ones complaining about our offense without IT.

And if you think IT will net you a guy like Westbrook or Lilliard. Forget it. It's not happening. And by next summer IT would be viewed as "an expiring deal", so he won't have as much value as people think.

I personally hope Ainge extends IT, even though I know many here don't. Maybe not a max, but 22-24M/Year would be fair and I'm sure IT would take a "small hometown discount" to stay. He LOVES Boston.

The goal is to find a star to play alongside Horford and IT, not getting a star but losing IT and some bench pieces in the process...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 12:31:25 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I think the goal has always been to get a superstar that will put us over the top, a top tier player if one should become available.  These types of players are hard to find, but we have two really good all stars in IT and Al.  Those two guys are our core and everyone else is fair game if that superstar becomes available.  I think the Celtics are looking to win sooner rather than later and would give up any of their younger guys if necessary.

The ideal scenario is to use cap space as we already have the core of our supporting cast in place.  Durant would have been the ultimate prize, but we may have to look at the trade option now.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 12:37:25 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Just to show I am not stuck in my thinking and can be convinced, I've added IT to my untouchable list, see my corrected original post.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 01:22:54 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Horford and IT. There are other guys l'd prefer to see stay—Crowder, AB, Smart, Brown, KO—but if Danny can turn any of them into, say, DeMarcus Cousins or someone else of that caliber, he should do it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 01:24:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
no one.

Everyones available for the right deal.

I think Smart Horford Thomas are all more valuable to us than anyone else, so in that sense they are untouchable.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 01:36:45 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Brad Stevens

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 03:25:02 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I don't see IT being traded unless it's for a top 5-10 player.

IT, like it or not, is the face of this franchise.

Horford came here to play with him.

Trading IT now would be some bad juju.

Well put, it would have to be the perfect situation to trade IT. So far the only deal I would've entertained was to the Thunder for Westbrook before he resigned but even then I'd worry about angering the basketball gods by sending him to a less talented team with those IMO borderline obnoxious fans.

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
My man

Smart a cus

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 04:56:46 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Just to show I am not stuck in my thinking and can be convinced, I've added IT to my untouchable list, see my corrected original post.

TP for your open mind.

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 05:05:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I see nobody on this team valuable enough to make them untouchable.

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 11:06:33 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
The below list is for this year only:

The Untouchable (Group A):
Unless you're offering Lebron, don't bother asking

1. Horford - Not only is he either the best or 2nd best player on the team, it's a simple fact that you can't trade a top notch FA the same year they signed. It's not against the NBA rules but you slit your own throat with agents for years to come. It'd be one thing if the player was a major clubhouse problem but with a pro's pro like Horford there's simply no way to do it. If you trade Al this year then the Celtics are stuck building solely through the draft because no FA worth their salt would even sniff the Celtics. Thus his chance of being traded is zero. Nil. Zilch. Zip. Ainge won't wreck the reputation of the Cs across the league with every agent by even whispering of moving Horford.

The Almost Untouchables (Group B):
It'll take someone's left nut, their first born child and their undying gratitude to get these guys

2. IT - He's been the face of the franchise the last year. He was in the meetings with Al. He was at the draft. He's on the posters. He's a locker room leader. I think if there was a deal for a guy like Westbrook then you could see IT as a centerpiece going back but that's the only way he's leaving this year. While in theory you could bring in a replacement for the scoring and the distribution duties given to Smart, it would have to be in a truly special deal. Plus there's the issue of how IT's ability to drive really sets the offense in motion. No one else can do that. If you put Smart back there then you have defenses sagging off of him a bit. If you put in Rozier then they don't have to respect the passing as much. He's the straw that stirs the drink right now and it would be a major adjustment to this team if he wasn't running the show.

3. Crowder - It's not because Crowder is the next best player (he's not) or part of the heart and soul of this team (he is). It's because there's no one to replace him. Brown isn't going to be ready to step up and take his role this year and there's simply no one else who can play the 3 and small 4 roles. So unless the deal is for a SF - and that wouldn't make sense given Brown is the heir apparent - then Crowder ain't going anywhere. I'm sure he and his contract will be asked about quite a bit in trade talks but removing him from the team leaves a gaping hole that the Cs just can't really replace right now.

The Painful Partings (Group C):
This needs to be really, really good or I'm hanging up!

4-6. The next 3 are the guys it'd be painful to let go: Smart, Brown and Bradley. I like Smart's toughness and winning attitude. I like Brown's potential. I like Bradley's professionalism and continued growth. But to get something good the Cs are going to have to give up something good and thus it's likely that one or more of those guys goes if there's a big deal. Still, it'll take a good deal to get one of these guys. They're not going for average veteran help.

Everyone else (Group D):
Sure, I have a few minutes to talk
Everyone else falls into D.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 11:15:32 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
If Anthony Davis comes on the market, NOP can have anyone on the team (or any picks) that they want.