Author Topic: It's Time To Think Hard About Trading For Andrew Bogut  (Read 12739 times)

Re: It's Time To Think Hard About Trading For Andrew Bogut
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2016, 01:07:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What I can't get about this thread is why would Dallas trade Bogut. Thats a tanking move and Cuban has already said the team wont tank. I just dont think he will be moved as Dallas will love the fact he will expire giving them more cap space next year. With Bogut and Williams expiring to free up cap space for next year, I think Wes Matthews and Dwight Powell would be more likely the players Dallas would move either right at the trade deadline or after the season.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 01:23:42 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2016, 01:09:32 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I'm all for adding Bogut cheap, but does anyone actually buy that it'll change the Celtics fortunes during his 6 month rental?

I think that the Celtics are less than a full superstar away from being a legitimate contender, so maybe.

Can't agree with this. The Cs are not close to contending with a Bogut addition -- especially considering his injury history.

I get he heals some immediate wounds, but I struggle to see why we'd give up ANYTHING of legit value to do so.

Agree.

There is also salary matching to consider, which could hamper future trades for stars. We'd have to send out ~$9M to take back Bogut's $11M salary.

Right now we have about $29M in expiring contracts

Amir $12
Zeller $8
JJ $5
KO $3
Gerald $1.5

That means we can take back $35M in salary, which could net us any contract in the league, and maybe even two stars if their deals were under the old CBA (like Cousins at $12M).

This flexibility is huge, and I wouldn't sacrifice it for a minor upgrade like Bogut unless we got a bona-fide superstar first, then added Bogut to shore things up afterwards.

Doesn't Young make over 2m as a first rounder? Give them Zeller and Young who might get pt and actually be a little win for them. They aren't better combined than a healthy Bogut but who knows, maybe Carlilse will play Young and he becomes a contributor and Zeller isn't worse than what they have outside of Bogut so he will definitely play. I think Zeller could be solid like he was the season b4 with us for them, he's had flashes this year but it comes and goes.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2016, 01:34:48 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What I can't get about this thread is why would Dallas trade Bogut. Thats a tanking move and Cuban has already said the team wont tank. I just dont think he will be moved as Dallas will love the fact he will expire giving them more cap space next year. With Bogut and Williams expiring to free up cap space for next year, I think Wes Matthews and Dwight Powell would be more likely the players Dallas would move either right at the trade deadline or after the season.

In January, when Zeller can be traded, or February at the deadline, the Mavs might be a bit more open to trading an expiring vet contract if they're still winning only 25% of their games.  Cuban isn't going to tank for a full season.  That's different than saying "win at all costs when there's no hope."  Especially if they've determined Bogut won't be back next season.

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2016, 03:24:37 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
It's time to rethink about trading for Andrew Bogut because he's gotten injured for a change. Out up to 6 weeks.

http://www.espn.com.au/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4706605/at-some-point-rebuilding-mavs-need-to-move-andrew-bogut
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2016, 04:03:17 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'd rather keep our late first round draft pick and either trade it for a young stud or gamble on a high upside guy.

It's frustrating to watch the weaknesses that the Celtics have and know that we have the resources to sure up that weakness. But I have two reasons why we shouldn't do anything:

1) Unless it's for another legit scoring forward-center, it does not significantly make us better. It might make our weaknesses less obvious, but does that vault us to the next level of contention? No. In that sense, any move like that would be a pacifier meant to sooth the fan-base. We are more mature than that.

2) Rebounding is about defensive rotations and effort. Both have been poor for us this year. Getting a rebounder would act like a crutch to this team. If Avery Bradley has proven anything, it's that we can rebound better than we are. Crowder, Horford, Olynyk, Brown, Smart, Jerebko, Johnson, and even Thomas have got to put more effort in.

For whatever reason, my eye is mostly on Crowder for this. He averages a respectable 5-6 rebounds a game, but I seriously think he could get more.

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2016, 04:20:58 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

In January, when Zeller can be traded, or February at the deadline, the Mavs might be a bit more open to trading an expiring vet contract if they're still winning only 25% of their games.  Cuban isn't going to tank for a full season.  That's different than saying "win at all costs when there's no hope."  Especially if they've determined Bogut won't be back next season.

Sure. Trading a 3 month Bogut rental isn't tanking if they get an asset, it's just good business for a lottery team.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2016, 10:10:07 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I'd rather keep our late first round draft pick and either trade it for a young stud or gamble on a high upside guy.

It's frustrating to watch the weaknesses that the Celtics have and know that we have the resources to sure up that weakness. But I have two reasons why we shouldn't do anything:

1) Unless it's for another legit scoring forward-center, it does not significantly make us better. It might make our weaknesses less obvious, but does that vault us to the next level of contention? No. In that sense, any move like that would be a pacifier meant to sooth the fan-base. We are more mature than that.

2) Rebounding is about defensive rotations and effort. Both have been poor for us this year. Getting a rebounder would act like a crutch to this team. If Avery Bradley has proven anything, it's that we can rebound better than we are. Crowder, Horford, Olynyk, Brown, Smart, Jerebko, Johnson, and even Thomas have got to put more effort in.

For whatever reason, my eye is mostly on Crowder for this. He averages a respectable 5-6 rebounds a game, but I seriously think he could get more.

I am hopeful the suns will cut Tyson Chandler free and we can sign him for nothing.

Portland also my give up a ready to play to Dallas for Bogut. If we get Bogut next year on the cheap it may be worth a low 1st pick to me. He would be a good Mentor to our overseas big. I think he would work great with Al too.
 Young and a couple of seconds would maybe work. But the price for Bogut good get high, too
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2016, 03:23:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
I still think it should happen...

If we don't want Cousins or Noel I think Bogut could be a more realistic short-term option (potential Plan B if we whiff in free agency).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2017, 08:17:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Here is our solution especially for rebounding.

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2017, 08:20:19 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I'm for giving him a short term deal.  We could use him in the playoffs.   One year with our choice of option.

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2017, 08:40:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm for giving him a short term deal.  We could use him in the playoffs.   One year with our choice of option.

He would be a 2-3 month rental but help us progress in the playoffs.

I don't want another first round exit lol. Even just winning one playoff series would be nice for this developing group.

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2017, 09:03:19 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
It makes the most sense given that Zeller really doesn't play.  I do understand the hesitation given Bogut's injury history.  You don't want a guy like him backing up Amir - they both have a ton of miles.

I am for it thought.  He is a top-notch defender/rebounder at the 5 and a great passer.  Would fit perfect in our lineup.

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2017, 11:35:50 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

Dallas is only 4.5 games out of 8th seed.  I think it is just as likely Cuban makes a small trade to try to make the playoffs. 

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2017, 12:07:16 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

I agree. Dallas is a destination city- favorable taxes, active owner, previous success, etc. They landed Barnes and almost got DeAndre Jordan.

In order for Dallas to forego a great possibility to sign a FA in the offseason, what would the Celtics have to trade for 1/2 season of Bogut? Would Danny be willing to overpay?

I don't see the Celtics trading much in terms of valuable basketball players. They might have to trade one or more non-Brooklyn 1sts. I'm not that interested, as I don't think the Celtics have a great chance of winning the championship this year- with or without Bogut.