Author Topic: It's Time To Think Hard About Trading For Andrew Bogut  (Read 12627 times)

Re: It's Time To Think Hard About Trading For Andrew Bogut
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2016, 09:56:41 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
No trades will happen with  GM Danny in place

They don't call him "Never Make A Trade" Danny for nothing
I'm bitter.

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm all for adding Bogut cheap, but does anyone actually buy that it'll change the Celtics fortunes during his 6 month rental?

He can definitely improve the rebounding a ton, and honestly is way better than Amir or Zeller right now on the boards.

Also he could really help in the playoffs, because the last thing we need is to lose playoff games because Zeller or Amir can't grab a rebound or two late in games... Bogut solves that.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2016, 12:39:54 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm all for adding Bogut cheap, but does anyone actually buy that it'll change the Celtics fortunes during his 6 month rental?

I think that the Celtics are less than a full superstar away from being a legitimate contender, so maybe.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2016, 01:03:25 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Does he make us a title contender this year?   He should would help but that is the big question to me.
No he won't but he'd be a cheap improvement that wouldn't limit our options.  There's no one that we could realistically acquire other than Cousins who would make us a true contender this year.

How about Marcin Gortat for 2 future 2nds and Zeller. Washington is going nowhere fast.

This is what i am thinking.  Gortat would be perfect though I don't think he will be quite that cheap but I would give up more for him.  Hopefully Washington keeps losing. 

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2016, 01:18:04 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Does he make us a title contender this year?   He should would help but that is the big question to me.
No he won't but he'd be a cheap improvement that wouldn't limit our options.  There's no one that we could realistically acquire other than Cousins who would make us a true contender this year.

How about Marcin Gortat for 2 future 2nds and Zeller. Washington is going nowhere fast.

This is what i am thinking.  Gortat would be perfect though I don't think he will be quite that cheap but I would give up more for him.  Hopefully Washington keeps losing.

Maybe a conditional 1st instead of 2 2nd rounders? Washington is going nowhere fast and could use an injection of cheap young talent. Gortat would be perfect next to horford in the starting line up.

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2016, 01:25:23 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I think that the Celtics are less than a full superstar away from being a legitimate contender, so maybe.

Can't agree with this. The Cs are not close to contending with a Bogut addition -- especially considering his injury history.

I get he heals some immediate wounds, but I struggle to see why we'd give up ANYTHING of legit value to do so.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2016, 01:34:41 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Can't agree with this. The Cs are not close to contending with a Bogut addition -- especially considering his injury history.

I get he heals some immediate wounds, but I struggle to see why we'd give up ANYTHING of legit value to do so.

i'd give up a guy like young/d-jax/mickey and a second rounder or two.

dallas needs to start over and build around Barnes, their top pick, and any young talent they can find. for us, those guys dont do anything for us, and the last thing we need is more late picks.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2016, 01:44:13 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

yeah. I have to agree here. Bogut doesnt make us contenders, but he could bring us to the front of the pretenders.

I want to add him because I think hed help a lot. hed make it more likely that we grab to 2 seed and get to the ECF. However, because hes a rental and wont vault us to contention Im not giving up anything big for him.

No way they are touching a nets pick or the Grizzlies pick or any of Thomas Bradley Crowder Horford Smart Brown or even probably Rozier.

Id give them our '18 first and Zeller. Thats about as far as Id go.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2016, 02:40:08 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
In response to the OP, "maybe they are".

This from a poster on RealGM in the trade thread:

CLNS Radio podcast guy claims he has an exclusive update on Bogut's trade status that should come out in the next 36 hours.

http://castplus-prod-served-episodes.s3.amazonaws.com/573b0f4763191f535fd0d358/573b100863191f535fd0d359/Celtics_Beat_with_Jeff_Goodman_December_4_2016.mp3

Turn to around 50:00 in the podcast to hear it. Interesting that CLNS all of a sudden has a source in on this.

I think that it's going to be that we're waiting until January until we can trade Zeller.

How is CLNS as a source? maybe some cred here.

It was not at the 50 minute mark.  Where is it?  What was said?

Thanks,

Smitty77

Just listened again and it's there from 50:06 to 50:40.

he sounded very confident. i will check back on his podcast in a day or two, see what's up
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2016, 03:48:41 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
What....http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0597519610903796028-4

this is the "exclusive" update we've been waiting 36 hours for? LAME

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2016, 04:54:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Gortat is averaging 12 rebounds a game and Bogut is averaging 10 rebounds a game this year. Either one would be a big space eater. Grotto has a nice 20 footer like Zeller but can rebound. I think they are both plus defenders and would fit in with AL. One of them should be available by the trade deadline if both teams still both stink. Dallas may come on a little so Bogut may not be available but I don't think Washington is going anywhere but to the lottery. Grotto does put us over the top but makes us second best team in the East. It is added salary if we think we are signing a top free agent in the off season so the best move may be know move. Improved rebounding seems like a necessity for us to make noise in the playoffs.

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2016, 05:17:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Bogut would be nice backup for Boogie and Al

Send Kelly Zeller and Tyler Zeller .....NON contact centers making millions to the dumpster

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2016, 05:54:24 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477

Agree.

There is also salary matching to consider, which could hamper future trades for stars. We'd have to send out ~$9M to take back Bogut's $11M salary.

Right now we have about $29M in expiring contracts

Amir $12
Zeller $8
JJ $5
KO $3
Gerald $1.5

That means we can take back $35M in salary, which could net us any contract in the league, and maybe even two stars if their deals were under the old CBA (like Cousins at $12M).

This flexibility is huge, and I wouldn't sacrifice it for a minor upgrade like Bogut unless we got a bona-fide superstar first, then added Bogut to shore things up afterwards.

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2016, 12:55:48 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Agree.

There is also salary matching to consider, which could hamper future trades for stars. We'd have to send out ~$9M to take back Bogut's $11M salary.

Amir $12
Zeller $8
JJ $5
KO $3
Gerald $1.5

That means we can take back $35M in salary, which could net us any contract in the league, and maybe even two stars if their deals were under the old CBA (like Cousins at $12M).

This flexibility is huge, and I wouldn't sacrifice it for a minor upgrade like Bogut unless we got a bona-fide superstar first, then added Bogut to shore things up afterwards.
You get Bogut to show the stare like Boogie or George we have it all but you. Bogut will love Boston.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2016, 01:06:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Agree.

Amir $12
Zeller $8
JJ $5
KO $3
Gerald $1.5

Want to point out that because we aren't paying the luxury tax, we need to send out a shade under $7.3 million to match for Bogut.  So Zeller works straight up.  Likewise, Amir can be traded straight up for Cousins (we need to send out $11.95 million for him).  Making two moves in which we take on salary and only send out 1-2 contracts per trade is not very difficult.  Finding willing trading partners is by far the greater obstacle.