Author Topic: 2016-2017 Gordon Hayward Thread (We Did It Guys! Fireworks!!!)  (Read 327638 times)

2016-2017 Gordon Hayward Thread (We Did It Guys! Fireworks!!!)
« on: November 24, 2016, 12:00:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
So I didn't see another thread on here about him, and I figure since he is the most REALISTIC Free Agent Target for Boston next summer, there should be one.

I would love Griffin more but I think with the Clippers hot start, and the fact that he LOVES LA, he will stay put, so that's not a realistic option.

Hayward was injured to begin the season, but he's played in 10 games this season since returning and is currently averaging 19.9 points, 4.1 assists, and 7.3 rebounds per game. People view him as a 20/5/5 kind of player, and so far it's more like 20/7/4 and could get even better.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:38:06 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: 2016-2017 Gordon Hayward Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 12:16:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Question - will paying Hayward next summer really move the needle for us?

From all indications, he won't be compatible in the starting lineup with Crowder, so he'd essentially replace Crowder in the starting lineup. Is he going to be worth more than $20M per year more than Crowder with such a minute statistical difference between the two?

I think I'd honestly rather pay someone like Noel or Milsap big money than Hayward, because they're actually at a spot of need for us, even if they're not quite as good as Hayward.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 12:16:33 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I think Brad and Danny really want him. I don't know how they want to use him, but I think they want him.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 12:23:57 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
No thanks. Jae and Jaylen are our guys, I think..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

From all indications, he won't be compatible in the starting lineup with Crowder, so he'd essentially replace Crowder in the starting lineup. Is he going to be worth more than $20M per year more than Crowder with such a minute statistical difference between the two?

I think I'd honestly rather pay someone like Noel or Milsap big money than Hayward, because they're actually at a spot of need for us, even if they're not quite as good as Hayward.

That's where I'm at, Hayward only improves this team by like a few wins but doesn't make us a legitimate contender, whereas a guy like Blake Griffin (a big who can score and rebound - A NEED) would. Plus we already have Crowder, Bradley and Brown here.

However Brad Stevens and Gordon Hayward have that "Butler connection" and this is the last year the C's will have a max-contract slot because then with extensions, rookie signings/contracts and such there may not be much money left for Boston after next summer (no room for a max-contract signing). That could make them go that route and others here have expressed interest in doing that.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 01:00:44 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If Conley can get a max from Grizz, Hayward will get one from Jazz. Hayward isn't going to be available.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 01:13:53 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I would love to sign Hayward.  I think he would excel in Brad's system.  He really doesn't have any weaknesses in his game and continues to improve each year.  He can create his own shot, and would give us a much needed second offensive threat next to IT.  Crowder could be a sixth man and with his contract I don't think many would complain about paying a sixth man what Crowder makes.

I think Gordon would move the needle more than people think and would make a great addition.  Realistically if you can sign Hayward I think you do.  Not a lot of guys that are better than him will be available.

If you have to trade someone you deal with that later.  C's have plenty of assets to package and adding Hayward would be well worth it in my opinion.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 01:24:32 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Signing Hayward would make Crowder or Bradley expendable in a deal for a big man, while also improving our scoring from the wing (which is still a need for us).  Signing Hayward obviously wouldn't solve all of our problems, but it would solve some and give Danny the ammunition to solve some of the others

That said, signing a star big man should be plan A, but Hayward is a great plan B
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 01:27:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Signing Hayward would make Crowder or Bradley expendable in a deal for a big man, while also improving our scoring from the wing (which is still a need for us).  Signing Hayward obviously wouldn't solve all of our problems, but it would solve some and give Danny the ammunition to solve some of the others

That said, signing a star big man should be plan A, but Hayward is a great plan B

That's the problem though. What star big men are available in Free Agency?

Nerlens Noel (Doesn't thread the needle either - not worth max)
Blake Griffin (He is likely staying in LA)
Serge Ibaka (A little overrated if you ask me - also not worth max)

Who else? As for trades, only ones realistically available are Cousins and either Okafor/Noel, maybe rentals like Bogut (if we're talking this season), but he's no star big man either.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 01:34:05 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

Who else? As for trades, only ones realistically available are Cousins and either Okafor/Noel, maybe rentals like Bogut (if we're talking this season), but he's no star big man either.

Yeah, that's the problem. I would totally be fine with adding Hayward and losing Crowder if we also upgraded our big position, but it's hard to imagine a scenario where both of those things happen next summer.

However, I think that could legitimately happen if we traded for Noel this year. We should be able to clear enough space to sign Hayward to a near-max contract even with Noel, or we could even get Utah to do a sign-and-trade for Crowder and other pieces, which you have to think they'd be interested in if Hayward told them he was leaving regardless.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
The Jazz are winning and currently hold a playoff spot, making it more likely Hayward stays with the Jazz...

If Griffin and Hayward stay with their teams.. then this FA class is EXTREMELY thin. Better hope Trader Danny is coming up with some trade proposals for next summer.

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 11:02:47 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
For those still interested, Hayward is having a career year right now: 22/4/6

But the Jazz are 17-10, and with the new CBA, find it hard to see Hayward leaving Utah.

Not that I really wanted him (we have Bradley, Brown, Crowder), but he would have been our most realistic FA option (because Griffin is likely staying in LA, and then the FA options aren't great besides him and Hayward, unless you're okay settling with a Noel or Ibaka).

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 11:12:23 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Signing Hayward doesn't mean lossing Crowder.  It gives us a killer 1-2 punch at the the.  Hayward backed up by Crowder is legit starting sf and a legit sf on the second unit.  Wirh some more weught brown csn play the 4, or with a bit more wirk on his shot he can play sg.  Remember it took bradly a few seasons to get his shot down.

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 09:13:02 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Yeah, that's the problem. I would totally be fine with adding Hayward and losing Crowder if we also upgraded our big position, but it's hard to imagine a scenario where both of those things happen next summer.

However, I think that could legitimately happen if we traded for Noel this year. We should be able to clear enough space to sign Hayward to a near-max contract even with Noel, or we could even get Utah to do a sign-and-trade for Crowder and other pieces, which you have to think they'd be interested in if Hayward told them he was leaving regardless.
A trade is almost definitely what would have to happen. With Smart, Bradley, Crowder, and Brown filling up the wing right now, a Hayward signing would definitely push someone out. If he's signed with a trade ready to go that brings back a good piece that fits, then I guess that's terrific.

But I'm not sure who that trade target is. There are guys like Griffin, Towns, Davis, etc. who are dream targets but are untouchable (I'm assuming Griffin stays in LA this summer). Then there are guys like Vucevic, or Nokic who would fit nicely but aren't big difference-makers. I'm not sure who that impact player is who could be gotten in a trade this summer.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 12:39:57 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Hayward is currently balling with 29 points and 9 rebounds against the Lakers.

So far this season Hayward is averaging 22/6/4.

I'm starting to come around the idea of at least going hard after Hayward in FA. Besides rebounding of course, the only main weakness I see is finding a solid #2 scorer. IT is obviously our #1 scorer, but once he is contained by the opposition, it makes it difficult to generate scoring during crunch time in the 4th quarter, even with Bradley and Crowder. This is especially true when facing good teams.

I view Hayward as that potential #2 scorer on this team who also has size (he's 6'8"), and can rebound a bit as well (averaging 6-7 rebounds a game).

Griffin likely isn't walking through that door (he's staying with LA), and there aren't many other options left in FA after that (unless you prefer Ibaka or Noel instead). I acknowledge Hayward is likely staying with Utah as well, but he's probably one of the more "realistic dream targets" here, especially if Utah underwhelm in the second half of the season, and with the Brad Stevens connection of course.

It could also make guys like Brown or Crowder expendable in a trade for a big man maybe. Would obviously hate to see either go but if you make a trade for a big man, add Hayward, draft a Top-3 pick, you have to like our chances of being a contender starting next season.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 12:45:05 AM by Phantom255x »