Author Topic: 2016-2017 Gordon Hayward Thread (We Did It Guys! Fireworks!!!)  (Read 327602 times)

Re: 2016-2017 Gordon Hayward Thread (We Did It Guys! Fireworks!!!)
« Reply #1980 on: July 14, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd9BZxrynRQ

Just an interesting look at all of the ways Gordon has insane scoring ability.

He is going to help take our offense to the next level.
#JKJB

« Reply #1981 on: July 14, 2017, 12:42:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

TP for this.

Love Bradley, but Hayward is easily our 2nd best legitimate scoring threat and he can put up 20-25 on any given night consistently, with potential to score 30+ many nights too.

I expect in a spread/pass offense, Hayward's assist numbers go up too.

I also expect Isaiah to feel a little more relaxed now, now that he doesn't have to be the sole scorer and can reduce the amount of "heroball", because lets be honest, would you rather Olynyk or Crowder jacking up 3s late in close games, or Isaiah? That was the case almost all last season. Look for that to change for the better with Hayward and Tatum now.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1982 on: July 14, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

TP, that was awesome!

« Reply #1983 on: July 14, 2017, 01:29:23 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff

TP for this.

Love Bradley, but Hayward is easily our 2nd best legitimate scoring threat and he can put up 20-25 on any given night consistently, with potential to score 30+ many nights too.

I also expect Isaiah to feel a little more relaxed now, now that he doesn't have to be the sole scorer and can reduce the amount of "heroball", because lets be honest, would you rather Olynyk or Crowder jacking up 3s late in close games, or Isaiah? That was the case almost all last season. Look for that to change for the better with Hayward and Tatum now.

Our offense was functioning at its best when Avery was operating as the secondary playmaker/scorer/slasher. The problem was that he wasn't consistent at these areas all of the time. Those roles are exactly what our Gordon will give us now. I expect our offense to be utterly elite this year. If Tatum can handle some of the offense on the bench, we should be able to avoid offense droughts for the most part. If some of our other young players step up, our team can be a problem.

Defensively I am worried about guarding elite point guards due to the loss of Avery. However, our switchability on the wing should help mitigate that problem a pit.
#JKJB

« Reply #1984 on: July 14, 2017, 01:49:25 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

TP for this.

Our offense was functioning at its best when Avery was operating as the secondary playmaker/scorer/slasher. The problem was that he wasn't consistent at these areas all of the time. Those roles are exactly what our Gordon will give us now. I expect our offense to be utterly elite this year. If Tatum can handle some of the offense on the bench, we should be able to avoid offense droughts for the most part. If some of our other young players step up, our team can be a problem.

Defensively I am worried about guarding elite point guards due to the loss of Avery. However, our switchability on the wing should help mitigate that problem a pit.
Yep. Basically upgrading from Avery to Hayward is huge. As amazing as it was to watch Avery's progress he still wasn't a guy you could ever run the offense through. Hayward is. And the nice thing about Hayward is that he's going from the #1 option to the #2 option.

And watching that video, it seems like he moves well off the ball which means Horford is going to get just as many assists on backdoor cuts as he did last year with Avery. I think Hayward will be a lot more easy buckets in Boston.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1985 on: July 14, 2017, 02:23:43 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff

TP for this.

Yep. Basically upgrading from Avery to Hayward is huge. As amazing as it was to watch Avery's progress he still wasn't a guy you could ever run the offense through. Hayward is. And the nice thing about Hayward is that he's going from the #1 option to the #2 option.

And watching that video, it seems like he moves well off the ball which means Horford is going to get just as many assists on backdoor cuts as he did last year with Avery. I think Hayward will be a lot more easy buckets in Boston.

I have this nagging feeling that IT is going to focus on being a little more of a facilitator going forward. If he is able to truly work on getting all other parties involved, our offense may run smoother. Something about this whole situation makes me ponder the who 1st or 2nd option definition. At the end of the day, it wouldn't shock me if Hayward was our leading scorer at the end of the year, and IT's assist numbers jumped up a bit. Efficiency wise they should all have great years.

Imagine Horford puts up just silly assists? That would be great haha.
#JKJB

« Reply #1986 on: July 14, 2017, 02:28:13 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

TP for this.

I like Avery as a player but I think more than a few in the media have given him way too much credit.  Nice player yes, but not a difference maker.  Certainly not someone who should be paid like a difference maker (which someone will do next summer). Hayward and Tatum upgrade the talent level significantly.

« Reply #1987 on: July 14, 2017, 02:33:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

TP for this.

I have this nagging feeling that IT is going to focus on being a little more of a facilitator going forward. If he is able to truly work on getting all other parties involved, our offense may run smoother. Something about this whole situation makes me ponder the who 1st or 2nd option definition. At the end of the day, it wouldn't shock me if Hayward was our leading scorer at the end of the year, and IT's assist numbers jumped up a bit. Efficiency wise they should all have great years.

Imagine Horford puts up just silly assists? That would be great haha.
That wouldn't surprise me. His assist numbers in the playoffs were up a tick in the playoffs, from 5.9 to 6.7 when defenses were focusing even more on him and teammates were more open. Hayward is terrific and I do think IT is going to be the #1 option but I also think Hayward's arrival means we're going to see IT off ball a lot more and just as much (if not more) of running things through Horford where he can find the team's 2 big scorers for easy buckets.

I definitely think Hayward is scoring more points this season than he ever has, even though he'll be sharing the floor with the best scorer he's ever played with. Which is nice. :)
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1988 on: August 30, 2017, 11:34:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Bump.

TP to @Jambr380 for fishing this thread out!

Come on guys. We can't forget that we signed Hayward too  :P

I HATE losing IT4 but adding Hayward AND Irving seems pretty exciting too!

« Reply #1989 on: August 31, 2017, 12:02:03 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
OFF SEASON moves definitely qualify has FIREWORKS !!!!!

« Reply #1990 on: August 31, 2017, 01:32:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
OFF SEASON moves definitely qualify has FIREWORKS !!!!!

Losing Isaiah SUCKS though.  :(

Also lost some fierce Warriors in Crowder, AB, etc.

Yeah maybe it's for the best of the team and long term, but still sad to see most leave.

« Reply #1991 on: August 31, 2017, 01:56:24 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Almost forgot they signed this guy. July seems like such a long time ago.

« Reply #1992 on: May 02, 2018, 10:42:53 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Ah, this thread really brings back memories of the good (and insane) old days :laugh:

Especially between like pages 70-125 when CHAOS ensued those few days.  :P

Hope Hayward is healthy and ready to go next season!

« Reply #1993 on: May 02, 2018, 11:03:46 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Alas, even when we finally got our fireworks, there really weren't any fireworks (thanks, Cleveland).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1994 on: May 02, 2018, 11:05:10 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Alas, even when we finally got our fireworks, there really weren't any fireworks (thanks, Cleveland).

It's okay, we'll get our sweet revenge when we get Hayward back next year and Lebron leaves Cleveland this summer  :P