Author Topic: 2016-2017 Gordon Hayward Thread (We Did It Guys! Fireworks!!!)  (Read 327573 times)

Re: 2016-2017 Gordon Hayward Thread
« Reply #180 on: June 09, 2017, 06:54:05 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Miami did not make the playoffs last year. How much does Hayward really help them?  His chances of competing for championships so much better with Celtics. If that is not his first concern, then he will just stay with the Jazz.

Yeah, plus Heat may have to pay Waiters. Without Waiters, they aren't even close to sniffing the postseason last year.

If they add Hayward but lose Waiters, I still only see a 6-7 seed AT best (or possibly another 9-10 seed who barely misses out).

Waiters didn't have a huge market last summer.  Sure, it's improved, but if the Heat stretch McRoberts they'll be able to give Waiters over $10 million per year after signing Hayward.
this was a breakout season of sorts for Waiters who is still just 25.

I could see a team giving up upwards of 17 or 18 mil.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #181 on: June 09, 2017, 06:54:30 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
Never underestimate Riley....

Miami might be a bigger threat than Utah.

« Reply #182 on: June 09, 2017, 06:55:11 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Miami did not make the playoffs last year. How much does Hayward really help them?  His chances of competing for championships so much better with Celtics. If that is not his first concern, then he will just stay with the Jazz.

Yeah, plus Heat may have to pay Waiters. Without Waiters, they aren't even close to sniffing the postseason last year.

If they add Hayward but lose Waiters, I still only see a 6-7 seed AT best (or possibly another 9-10 seed who barely misses out).

Waiters didn't have a huge market last summer.  Sure, it's improved, but if the Heat stretch McRoberts they'll be able to give Waiters over $10 million per year after signing Hayward.
How much over 10M?  I'd think the Sixers or the Nets would go at least that high.  The Sixers or Nets could front load the contract.  There could also be a question of the number of years. 

« Reply #183 on: June 09, 2017, 06:55:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Never underestimate Riley....

Miami might be a bigger threat than Utah.

Possibly. That's where the "Brad Stevens" factor needs to kick in as well  ;)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #184 on: June 09, 2017, 08:56:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

How much over 10M?  I'd think the Sixers or the Nets would go at least that high.  The Sixers or Nets could front load the contract.  There could also be a question of the number of years.

Some team will overpay for Waiters IMO.

Apparently Lakers would love to add him and Heat fear they will throw a lot of money at him too.

« Reply #185 on: June 10, 2017, 12:09:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
You think Cleveland not getting swept hurts us a bit now in the Hayward pursuit?  :P

« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2017, 05:44:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2714292-dark-horse-destinations-for-nbas-top-free-agents

https://purpleandblues.com/2017/06/09/san-antonio-pegged-dark-horse-landing-spot-utah-jazzs-gordon-hayward/

So Utah, Boston, Miami... OR San Antonio?  :o  >:(

Looks like San Antonio can be a "dark horse candidate" for Hayward, though I don't see how that works with Kawhi there...  ??? (or maybe Hayward plays a lot of PF, which he did for most of the postseason for Utah)

Also the Spurs would need to get rid of 2 of: Aldridge, Gasol, Danny Green, BUT THAT might not be entirely enough either (another solid bench piece may need to go too).

« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2017, 07:56:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
So apparently, the interest between Hayward and the Heat is mutual, and "very real". LOTS of reports indicating this now.  :(

Meanwhile, if GSW closes this out in 5, it may help us in the pursuit of Hayward.

« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2017, 08:19:11 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
So apparently, the interest between Hayward and the Heat is mutual, and "very real". LOTS of reports indicating this now.  :(

Meanwhile, if GSW closes this out in 5, it may help us in the pursuit of Hayward.

Weird theory here:

Because of Mrs Hayward's gaff, to throw off league scrutiny on Hayward being a done deal with us and perhaps negated by the league, Hayward will take calls and interviews with at least the Heat if not other teams.

He's coming here.

I know that the Miami thing was out there before the picture with stupid stuff like a "winning culture" being proffered as one reason and the chance to play with Whiteside/Dragic as the other (rather than IT/Horford?, please), but it gained traction  because of the picture.

How would anybody know that Hayward was interested in the Heat? Because his agent told people this.

Why would he tell people this? Everybody can give him the same max (except Jazz), so what benefit does a leak like that confer? None, monetarily that I can see.

Hayward will be a Celtic or stay a Jazz...screw the Heat and Pat Riley.

« Reply #189 on: June 12, 2017, 08:23:13 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

Weird theory here:

Because of Mrs Hayward's gaff, to throw off league scrutiny on Hayward being a done deal with us and perhaps negated by the league, Hayward will take calls and interviews with at least the Heat if not other teams.

He's coming here.

I know that the Miami thing was out there before the picture with stupid stuff like a "winning culture" being proffered as one reason and the chance to play with Whiteside/Dragic as the other (rather than IT/Horford?, please), but it gained traction  because of the picture.

How would anybody know that Hayward was interested in the Heat? Because his agent told people this.

Why would he tell people this? Everybody can give him the same max (except Jazz), so what benefit does a leak like that confer? None, monetarily that I can see.

Yeah, I really don't see the logic in him choosing Miami. It will be Utah or Boston.

Then again, I was certain there was no way Durant would go to GS, so...

« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2017, 08:28:56 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Weird theory here:

He's coming here.

Yeah, I really don't see the logic in him choosing Miami. It will be Utah or Boston.

Golden State is a very good team, while the Heat are not as good as the Celtics.

« Reply #191 on: June 12, 2017, 08:45:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Weird theory here:

He's coming here.

True, and I was also pretty certain Horford would stay with ATL, and it looked true initially with the Woj tweets, before we realized he was wrong (GASP)  :laugh:

« Reply #192 on: June 12, 2017, 08:48:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Weird theory here:

He's coming here.

TP, I hope you are right.

It may also come down to what Utah do with some of their other FA's, and what their next plan/move is (for Hayward to stay, I'm sure he'd want the team to find a way to add another star into the team, which could be difficult for them).

« Reply #193 on: June 12, 2017, 09:08:40 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

I dont really buy into the idea that the finals will really affect Hayward's decision.

« Reply #194 on: June 13, 2017, 03:51:09 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I dont really buy into the idea that the finals will really affect Hayward's decision.

Maybe but at the same time, I wonder, the more it seems likely Lebron leaves Cleveland in a few years, it may sway him our way.

I mean, without Lebron in the East, it's WIDE OPEN for the C's to take.

And Lowry and Millsap may leave too which means it could be between WAS-BOS in the East (again, assuming Lebron could legitimately bolt in a few years).