Author Topic: 2016-2017 Gordon Hayward Thread (We Did It Guys! Fireworks!!!)  (Read 325420 times)

Re: 2016-2017 Gordon Hayward Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 09:56:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Jazz beat the Nets 101-89 (helping our Nets Pick in the process!)

Gordon Hayward had 30 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists (35 minutes)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
So Hayward actually had a good game against the Cavaliers. 28 points, 9 rebounds. W.

But after seeing Valanciunas eat us up last night, I'm convinced we need a BIG, NOT Butler or Hayward.

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 12:45:04 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
So Hayward actually had a good game against the Cavaliers. 28 points, 9 rebounds. W.

But after seeing Valanciunas eat us up last night, I'm convinced we need a BIG, NOT Butler or Hayward.
If we had had an answer to Demar OR we had had an answer to Valunciunas on the boards we win the game.

If we had both then we wouldnt care about last night and wed be looking at the Cavs instead.

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 12:49:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

If we had had an answer to Demar OR we had had an answer to Valunciunas on the boards we win the game.

If we had both then we wouldnt care about last night and wed be looking at the Cavs instead.

It's kind of ridiculous seeing all these opposing bigs beat us up every game.

Even in wins, you could see opposing centers abusing us usually.

KO disappears in the big moments, and Zeller is.. well Zeller. Amir is a solid reserve 5 but key word: "reserve"  - he couldn't stop Valanciunas yesterday

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 01:18:29 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

It's kind of ridiculous seeing all these opposing bigs beat us up every game.

Even in wins, you could see opposing centers abusing us usually.

KO disappears in the big moments, and Zeller is.. well Zeller. Amir is a solid reserve 5 but key word: "reserve"  - he couldn't stop Valanciunas yesterday

We really need both. We need a big man who can rebound and protect the paint, and we need an additional quality scorer who can create his own shot to help out IT. It's possible but unlikely to get both needs in the same player, which is why Cousins is so attractive. We can do it by getting two players though. Get a guy like Butler or Hayward plus a guy like Noel or Bogut.

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 01:52:56 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

It would have to be big "big" like Bogut or someone else with bulk if you want to stop Valanciunas.  A guy like Noel wouldn't do much better than Amir. 

I think if we had Hayward on out team yesterday, we win that game easily- even with Valanciunas getting 20 rebounds.

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 05:08:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
So we play the Jazz tomorrow night.

Hayward is averaging as of now 23/6/4. He's kind of like IT in the sense that he can give you almost 20-25 any given night. He's also put up 30 or more in 3 of his last 5 games. He's a pretty decent rebounder and his defense is average (not elite but not bad either). Pretty much consistent to the stats he was putting the last time these teams played.

Will be interesting to see what happens this summer with him, though I predict he will stay in Utah (they are a great team as well and can offer more $$$)

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 05:14:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Hayward is averaging as of now 23/6/4. He's kind of like IT in the sense that he can give you almost 20-25 any given night. He's also put up 30 or more in 3 of his last 5 games. He's a pretty decent rebounder and his defense is average (not elite but not bad either). Pretty much consistent to the stats he was putting the last time these teams played.

Will be interesting to see what happens this summer with him, though I predict he will stay in Utah (they are a great team as well and can offer more $$$)

Yeah, I think the Jazz have played well enough to convince Hayward to stick around.  Good for them.  Bad for (some of) us.

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 05:25:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah, I think the Jazz have played well enough to convince Hayward to stick around.  Good for them.  Bad for (some of) us.

Yep, it's a shame because he was probably like the second best FA available behind Griffin (because obviously KD, Curry and Lowry obviously aren't leaving their current teams unless something catastrophic happens between now and the summer).

Looks like for us, we will have to settle for either Ibaka or Millsap (I think Noel stays with Philly too - I'm not holding out a ton of hope he comes here this summer).

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 05:26:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Yep, it's a shame because he was probably like the second best FA available behind Griffin (because obviously KD, Curry and Lowry obviously aren't leaving their current teams unless something catastrophic happens between now and the summer).

Looks like for us, we will have to settle for either Ibaka or Millsap (I think Noel stays with Philly too - I'm not holding out a ton of hope he comes here this summer).

I'm still leading the Otto Porter bandwagon.

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I don't think many here are on that train lol.

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2017, 06:14:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

They should be.  He's 24 in June and leading the league in 3-point shooting and offensive rating, and is a solid rebounder.  His game has taken large steps up each year, and he's at least $5 million cheaper a year than Hayward.   

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2017, 06:29:25 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

They should be.  He's 24 in June and leading the league in 3-point shooting and offensive rating, and is a solid rebounder.  His game has taken large steps up each year, and he's at least $5 million cheaper a year than Hayward.
Porter is a RFA.  I'd expect Washington to match any offer for him. 

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2017, 06:53:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Unless they dump salary, I wouldn't.  They've never paid the luxury tax (1 of only 3 teams). Their owner has said he pretty much never intends to pay it.  If Porter gets offered the max and they match it, and fill all of their other open roster spots with players making the minimum (including either renouncing their 1st rounder or stashing him overseas), they'd be more than $6 million over the tax line.  Even outright dumping their worst contract in Andrew Nicholson won't likely get them below the tax despite hypothetically 5 players making the minimum.

Sure, the owner could change his tune, but as a DC resident, I can assure you he's much more likely to say that losing Porter is why he needs a new arena.

I still prefer Hayward, mind you.  I just think that Porter might wind up being more obtainable.

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2017, 07:38:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Unless they dump salary, I wouldn't.  They've never paid the luxury tax (1 of only 3 teams). Their owner has said he pretty much never intends to pay it.  If Porter gets offered the max and they match it, and fill all of their other open roster spots with players making the minimum (including either renouncing their 1st rounder or stashing him overseas), they'd be more than $6 million over the tax line.  Even outright dumping their worst contract in Andrew Nicholson won't likely get them below the tax despite hypothetically 5 players making the minimum.

Sure, the owner could change his tune, but as a DC resident, I can assure you he's much more likely to say that losing Porter is why he needs a new arena.

I still prefer Hayward, mind you.  I just think that Porter might wind up being more obtainable.

Brad said he does respect his game a lot.

I could see Porter emerging as a dark horse FA candidate this summer.

I don't see him coming here though, but being targeted, yes.