Author Topic: 2016-2017 Gordon Hayward Thread (We Did It Guys! Fireworks!!!)  (Read 325390 times)

Re: 2016-2017 Gordon Hayward Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
But that's pretty much what I was saying, too - with Al, IT, and Hayward going to be taking up so much of our cap, there's no realistic/economical way to try and pull in another max-level player, too.

It depends upon how much Wyc wants to spend.

We could conceivably have a team of:

Horford / Zizic
KO / ?
Hayward / Crowder
Smart / Brown
IT / Fultz

We could then package KO and Smart to another team to add another max or near-max contract.  The only limitation this season is the hard cap (and the 1/15/17 no-trade restrictions) and in future seasons it's the luxury tax.

Either way it's going to be REAL difficult. So many possible ways to go, but there may not be a perfect one that gets us past Cleveland/GSW.

May just have to truly wait out the era of Lebron. Meaning you can sign FA's but probably no massive trades now.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2017, 12:17:12 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We are now in ECF.  Hayward imagine what  we can do with you here? Lol

« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Bill Simmons invited Mark Titus, an expert on college hoops, on his latest podcast and besides the praise for Markelle Fultz, they mentioned a story about Gordon Hayward and Brad Stevens going back to their Butler days.

It starts at the 31:00 mark : https://soundcloud.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/nba-draft-lottery-reaction-with-mark-titus-ep-214

Basically : when he was playing at Butler, Hayward's parents had Purdue season tickets and went to all their games. Purdue had offered him a scholarship, he could have played for them (when they were great) but he chose Butler because Brad Stevens was the first to believe in him and kind of recruited him by offering a scholarship when he was not already known as a good player and didn't have his growth spurt. He was loyal to Stevens.

Titus doesn't want to predict if Hayward will want to reunite with Stevens this summer but I thought it was worth sharing this anecdote.

« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2017, 06:42:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Bill Simmons invited Mark Titus, an expert on college hoops, on his latest podcast and besides the praise for Markelle Fultz, they mentioned a story about Gordon Hayward and Brad Stevens going back to their Butler days.

It starts at the 31:00 mark : https://soundcloud.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/nba-draft-lottery-reaction-with-mark-titus-ep-214

Basically : when he was playing at Butler, Hayward's parents had Purdue season tickets and went to all their games. Purdue had offered him a scholarship, he could have played for them (when they were great) but he chose Butler because Brad Stevens was the first to believe in him and kind of recruited him by offering a scholarship when he was not already known as a good player and didn't have his growth spurt. He was loyal to Stevens.

Titus doesn't want to predict if Hayward will want to reunite with Stevens this summer but I thought it was worth sharing this anecdote.

TP for that info! Thanks for sharing. Definitely an interesting story/anecdote.

I'm starting to lay off the Hayward train just a bit now though. We'd practically gut this team UNLESS Hayward is willing to take a small pay cut (like 2-3 M/less a year).

« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2017, 07:05:56 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I'm starting to lay off the Hayward train just a bit now though. We'd practically gut this team UNLESS Hayward is willing to take a small pay cut (like 2-3 M/less a year).

Not really. He would have to take approximately a $400k/yr pay cut if we trade AB and keep KO. This assumes Zeller, JJ, Amir, Mickey, Young, and Jackson are gone. We could bring in Zizic, but have to wait on Yabusele.

If you are a huge Amir, JJ, or Zeller fan, I think we could grab any one of them with the room exception.

Hayward isn't an upper-tier superstar, but I would gladly take him without having to gut our team/BKN picks for Butler/George. I sure hope that Stevens connection is legit.

« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2017, 07:17:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

What do you mean by "practically gut"?

If we trade AB for future picks, we probably don't need to move any core players. We'd be substantially upgrading the team, not gutting it.

Horford / Zizic
KO / #37 (Swanigan?) / Room Exception (Nene?)
Crowder / Brown / Nader
Hayward / Smart
IT / Fultz / Rozier(?)

... plus we'd be adding a future asset for AB.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2017, 07:39:12 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

If we trade AB for future picks, we probably don't need to move any core players. We'd be substantially upgrading the team, not gutting it.

Horford / Zizic
Crowder / Brown / Nader
Hayward / Smart
IT / Fultz / Rozier(?)

Front court depth still looks a bit concerning, and I think I heard somewhere that even Rozier would have to go to make it work out all together.

Then again, I'm no cap expert at all, and I learn something new every day  :P

« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Horford / Zizic
Crowder / Brown / Nader
Hayward / Smart
IT / Fultz / Rozier(?)

Front court depth still looks a bit concerning, and I think I heard somewhere that even Rozier would have to go to make it work out all together.

Then again, I'm no cap expert at all, and I learn something new every day  :P

Our front court depth is going to suck regardless. Amir and JJ - both of whom have had multiple DNPs in the playoffs - aren't difference makers.

And, the most in depth analysis I read said we can keep Rozier, but we won't know for sure until early July.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2017, 01:30:07 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2710430-celtics-rumors-boston-reportedly-really-focused-on-gordon-hayward

Gordon Hayward will be a free agent this summer, and buzz regarding a reunion with Brad Stevens is starting to ramp up.

According to The Vertical's Adrian Wojnarowski, the Boston Celtics are "really focused on trying to get Gordon Hayward from Utah in free agency."

Wojnarowski added that he thinks Celtics general manager Danny Ainge will "go really hard after Hayward on July 1."

The Vertical's Chris Mannix has also stated he believes Hayward is the Celtics' top priority as the start of free agency approaches.

"The next step for this team, that's got to be Gordon Hayward," he said on CSN New England's Celtics Pregame Live prior to Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals (h/t NESN.com). "That is a guy who can help this team immediately. And that's a guy I believe is Boston's No. 1 target this summer."

The connection between Hayward and the Celtics is obvious, since the 27-year-old and Stevens previously enjoyed success together at Butler University and nearly captured a national title over the Duke Blue Devils in 2010.

To this point, though, Hayward has not tipped his hand regarding future plans.

"I'm definitely going to take some time off, get away from the game a little bit, enjoy time with family, try to get my body back to 100 percent and recover, and deal with the next chapter of what's going to happen," he said after the Jazz were eliminated in the second round of the playoffs, according to the Deseret News' Jody Genessy.

Should Hayward bolt for Beantown, he will leave quite a bit of cash on the table. As things stand, the Jazz can offer Hayward a five-year deal in the range of $180 million, while the Celtics can pony up $132 million over four years, according to Sporting News' Sean Deveney.

Granted, Woj was just playing the puppet for Magic and the Lakers with the George stuff, so take it for what it's worth.

« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2017, 01:41:31 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Time to re-address this with updated info.

Hayward did NOT make All-NBA, so is not eligible for the super-max from Utah, so they lose a huge advantage there. It is addressed in this ringer article:

https://theringer.com/2017-all-nba-team-gordon-hayward-paul-george-lebron-james-harden-5879bd6f7445

Gotta say, it is not often that a 27 yo comes off a 23/5.6/3.6 season with 22 PER and .595 TS%
 (24/6.1/3.4, .598 TS% and 21 PER in the playoffs this year) as an unrestricted free agent who so happened to play for our coach in college, now with Utah having almost no realistic advantage (signing 5 vs 4 years may actually HURT his earning potential) to keep him.

Very interesting...

« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2017, 09:46:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Why would Hayward even consider Boston after this trash performance??

« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2017, 11:14:06 PM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
I doubt one game impacts his decision much, but if we do this in games 3/4 I doubt he considers us at all.

« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2017, 11:16:47 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I don't think an overachieving team getting blown out in the ECF really changes anything. Hawks blew the C's out last year. Cs signed Horford. I think if a player wants to go somewhere they go. It's not like the West will be any easier if he decides to stay there. Still had better odds in East imo.

« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2017, 11:32:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

yes .....the love fest with CBS has never went away.

im kinda on the fence with him.