Author Topic: Would you trade 2017 Nets pick for Okafor?  (Read 30109 times)

Re: Would you trade 2017 Nets pick for Okafor?
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2016, 04:35:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I was more willing to trade the 2016 Nets pick for Okafor, because it was widely called a 2 player draft and Okafor was widely seen as a better prospect than anyone available after Ben Simmons (some had Ingram ahead of him, though).

Obviously AInge agreed, because he reportedly offered a package built around the 2016 pick for Okafor at the trade deadline and Philly declined.

This year is a little different.  It's still early, but I've read there's at least 5 guys in this draft with legitimate star potential.   Hearing some very positive things about this draft.  Some are saying it's "loaded" with talent.  Based on a couple articles I skimmed, I got the impression that a tier3/4 prospect like Jaylen Brown would go no higher than 10th in the 2017 draft.   So we're potentially talking about a very different situation here than last season when Ainge offered a package built around the 2016 pick for Okafor.  When Ainge made that offer, there was still a chance the pick could have ended up #1 and net a real upgrade in Simmons, but it was still more likely to fall in the 3-5 range where Okafor was clearly a better prospect.  Can't blame Philly for turning that one down.  You don't trade a bluechip prospect for an unknown scratch ticket that most likely would end up a weak prospect.

I don't follow College ball enough to have a firm opinion on this upcoming draft.  It's still early.  But if it's true that we're looking at possible 5 superstars and 5-10 guys with more potential than Jaylen Brown (Okafor-level prospects), then I'd definitely rather keep the 2017 pick.   

My only fear is that when Jeremy Lin comes back, the Nets go on a run and push themselves outside the bottom 5-10.  So far, the Nets are undefeated in games where Jeremy Lin played and Brook Lopez got 25+ minutes.   So hopefully they stay ravaged by injuries and the idea of moving the 2017 Nets pick for Okafor doesn't go from "plausible" to "pipe dream".

This okafor Boston bit is not accurate. Ford, your favorite guy that you are citing here ironically, reported the 76ers wanted a top 6 pick for okafor but could not get it. Either you believe Ford really talks to gms and gets accurate views from them to form his tiers and trade reports or you don't. You can't write a paragraph with a straight face that says he is correct in his tiers but write the opposite of what he reported for okafor. That doesn't make sense.

Exactly... We dont know what was offered... But I bet it was not the 3rd pick.... Likely a package including the 16, 23  pick

I'm sure the 76ers asked about the top 3 pick. It was reported they asked about every pick in the top 6 besides their own (by Ford) but were turned down (and were surprised)

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2016, 04:55:40 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Hahahahahahahahaha. God no.

You think we should trade a guaranteed top 7 pick for a guy who's best possible future is Al Jefferson if he's lucky? Before we even know if it ends up #1? Yeah right.

Okafor just isn't that good. Poor shooter, poor rebounder, poor defender, poor teammate. Definitely not a guy we use one of our best picks in a decade on.
He is a better rebounder than advertised

What does this even mean? Are you insinuating that he rebounds better than his stats demonstrate? I posted this yesterday, which does NOT include his 1 rebound (YES, ONE!) in 26 minutes yesterday vs the Grizzlies:

He's averaging 3.5 RPG in 20 MPG. Over his last 5 games, you know now that the rust is off, he's averaged 2.8 RPG in 21.MPG. He has grabbed 14 rebounds over his last 106 minutes. For comparison, "small" 2 guard Avery Bradley is averaging 8.1 RPG in 35.7 MPG.

Honestly I dont know what is up with you sometimes

Click on the link below.... Your response better not be "well it was last year"... Connect the dots why he is struggling all around this season. Especially the low morale with what is going on in 76ers land

http://m.espn.com/nba/playergamelog?playerId=3135048&season=2015&month=11

You give up too much for that player.

There is no top flight prospect from the 2017 draft

What are you talking about? This is considered a great draft class from a talent perspective. I think you need to research this immediately, so you can save face and edit your post.

Example:

@EvanDaniels
http://Scout.com 's Director of Bball Recruiting | @FS1's, @FoxSports College Basketball Insider | The Sidelines Podcast on iTunes
In case you're wondering, next years NBA Draft should have far superior talent. Much deeper. 2016 recruiting class = Best I've seen.

Omg Evan Daniels, how could I?

Fultz is potentially a good prospect. But he could turn out to be a Delon Wright.

Smith has t rex arms though an  explosive athlete.

Jackson is more like shabazz muhammad than Porter

Tatum, Isaac have "children" bodies...

Everyone of one these prospects come with question marks

Giles if healthy is an elite talent/nba body ....but he is not healthy ...risky future
Everyone is talking about the quality and depth of the 2017 draft.  Jay Bilas said it is the best freshman class he's seen.   Need to see more (e.g. the Duke freshman) but from what I've seen so far, I think those assessment are accurate.  There are 4 or 5 SFs that could be as good or better than Brown and there are plenty of good PGs and PFs.  The center position looks relatively weak but that could change.

But what about pf/c?

If Okafor was coming out of the 2017 draft ...would probably end up being a top 3-5 pick
Based on his college play and the potentially weak center class, Okafor might well go top 5 in this draft.  However from watching him last year and this year, he has significant limitations.  His defense is improving but he's never going to be an intimidating presence in the paint and he's never going to step out and play tough perimeter defense.  He's never going to be a great rebounder.  He could become a solid defensive rebounder but he's going to have to rely on fundamentals not physical ability.  He drives the lane pretty well but is hindered by his jump shooting.  He's going to have to improve his shooting out to at least 15'.  Okafor does seem to have lost some weight and appears to be a bit quicker.  However the lack of bulk is hindering him a bit.  He needs to adds some strength to make up for it.  I still think Okafor could become a "lesser" star (i.e. a better Al Jefferson) but he's got a lot of work to do to make it happen. 

As for this draft at PF/C, Giles is the big question mark but Bolden has also been out injured.  I like what I've seen from Markkanen and would put him in the top 10.  Rabb is solid but don't see that much upside but he'd be a great help with our rebounding woes.  Bam's movement on the perimeter is quite good but he needs to become more of a presence on defense.

Makkanen and Bam wont be stars in the nba. 

Rabb is like a better version of Amir... Still not a game changer or anything

You are forgetting what if Okafor gets taught by Al Horford... Okafor is 6'10 but has a very nice 7'4 wingspan and reach. He has potential to dominate around the post at both ends
I'm not forgetting anything.  You said in an earlier post that Okafor couldn't carry the Sixers on his shoulders.  Now you say he can dominate around the post at both ends.  Saying you think Okafor can dominate on the defensive end either means you haven't actually seen him play much or your player assessment stinks. 

I've said I think Okafor has potential but needs a lot of development.  He could certainly learn under Horford's tutelage and I'd be open to acquiring him on a reasonable trade (not the unprotected 2017 pick).  However overblowing Okafor's capabilities doesn't do your argument any good. 

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2016, 05:05:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I was more willing to trade the 2016 Nets pick for Okafor, because it was widely called a 2 player draft and Okafor was widely seen as a better prospect than anyone available after Ben Simmons (some had Ingram ahead of him, though).

Obviously AInge agreed, because he reportedly offered a package built around the 2016 pick for Okafor at the trade deadline and Philly declined.

This year is a little different.  It's still early, but I've read there's at least 5 guys in this draft with legitimate star potential.   Hearing some very positive things about this draft.  Some are saying it's "loaded" with talent.  Based on a couple articles I skimmed, I got the impression that a tier3/4 prospect like Jaylen Brown would go no higher than 10th in the 2017 draft.   So we're potentially talking about a very different situation here than last season when Ainge offered a package built around the 2016 pick for Okafor.  When Ainge made that offer, there was still a chance the pick could have ended up #1 and net a real upgrade in Simmons, but it was still more likely to fall in the 3-5 range where Okafor was clearly a better prospect.  Can't blame Philly for turning that one down.  You don't trade a bluechip prospect for an unknown scratch ticket that most likely would end up a weak prospect.

I don't follow College ball enough to have a firm opinion on this upcoming draft.  It's still early.  But if it's true that we're looking at possible 5 superstars and 5-10 guys with more potential than Jaylen Brown (Okafor-level prospects), then I'd definitely rather keep the 2017 pick.   

My only fear is that when Jeremy Lin comes back, the Nets go on a run and push themselves outside the bottom 5-10.  So far, the Nets are undefeated in games where Jeremy Lin played and Brook Lopez got 25+ minutes.   So hopefully they stay ravaged by injuries and the idea of moving the 2017 Nets pick for Okafor doesn't go from "plausible" to "pipe dream".

This okafor Boston bit is not accurate.
It's entirely accurate and you are already aware of that, clay. It was widely reported that the deal Ainge claimed was close was a package built around the Brooklyn pick for okafor at the trade deadline.  You know [dang] well I'm not referring to the media speculation on draft day regarding what they thought okafor was worth.   It's well established by now that you are in denial about our offers for okafor on draft day 2015 and the trade deadline, but you are keenly aware of what I'm referring to. It happened.  Get over it.

« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2016, 06:36:55 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Okafor is another Brook Lopez, so no thanks.

« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2016, 08:59:17 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Hahahahahahahahaha. God no.

You think we should trade a guaranteed top 7 pick for a guy who's best possible future is Al Jefferson if he's lucky? Before we even know if it ends up #1? Yeah right.

Okafor just isn't that good. Poor shooter, poor rebounder, poor defender, poor teammate. Definitely not a guy we use one of our best picks in a decade on.

What Okafor is not, is a guy that can carry the 76ers on his shoulders

But i can see him excelling on a vet team with hard working guys like the Celts... Have AL teach him how to play properly and not clown around in philly

Okafor is actually a smart guy that has improved on his defense and has time to further improve.  He is a better rebounder than advertised

Worst case I would love to have a younger Al Jefferson on the team. How is that a bad thing?

It's not necessarily a bad thing, if we knew he was actually going to reach Big Al's level in 2 or 3 years, but I don't think he'll ever be the kind of rebounder or mediocre defender Al has been. Besides, it's not a coincidence that Jefferson has never been on a really successful team.

But it IS a bad thing to trade a very likely top 5-7 draft pick for a guy who will be lucky to reach a career like Al's. That pick could get us either a true, franchise changing talent in the draft or be the keystone to a big time trade. The pick alone is worth much more to us than Okafor would be.

The problem with Okafor has always been the same. He's just not gonna be able to become a good enough defender to be anything better than a little below average because he doesn't dominate the glass, is a pretty poor rim protector, and is physically incapable of ever being able to switch onto 4's or 3's. Now, he has an amazing post game but he's really an average passer out of the double team and is kind of a ball stopper. More importantly, your offense really needs to be designed around him if your gonna best utilize his skillset. If it's not, he becomes a waste of space.

Really, he's just not good enough to justify centering your teams offense around. When you consider the whole picture, I'm not really sure I'd want him on my team at all at this point, and I certainly wouldn't be giving up one of the best draft picks we've had in a decade for him. That's just crazy, even if you think there's no good bigs in this draft, I'd rather make a play for a Nurkic or Adams like guy if we're using that BRK pick.

« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2016, 09:25:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

It's entirely accurate and you are already aware of that, clay. It was widely reported that the deal Ainge claimed was close was a package built around the Brooklyn pick for okafor at the trade deadline.  You know [dang] well I'm not referring to the media speculation on draft day regarding what they thought okafor was worth.   It's well established by now that you are in denial about our offers for okafor on draft day 2015 and the trade deadline, but you are keenly aware of what I'm referring to. It happened.  Get over it.
seriously what are you talking about? I thought you were joking. It was common knowledge the 76ers Badly wanted a top 5 pick for okafor (or Noel). Nobody wanted to do that trade. I don't get why you think Ford and others would make this up. Does Ford randomly make up his tiers? Again I don't really understand how you can like his tiers and discredit his draft report

« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2016, 12:42:01 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Was it widely reported or was it just a single report from Steve Bulpett citing a single source that was widely repeated?  I just don't think Ainge valued Okafor enough to be interested in a package for Okafor.  I'd be much more willing to believe Ainge was willing to take a huge risk with an offer for Embiid.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2016, 01:33:56 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Okafor is talented, but I'm not sure that he is a very good NBA player. He's not a good defensive rebounder or defender. Given his size, the rebounding issue seems like a legit red flag.

« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2016, 01:35:08 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
https://twitter.com/Nick_Sciria/status/802011885671419904

I recommend checking in on this tomorrow (Friday). Sciria is a great, great follow. He provides fantastic analysis based on a thorough understanding of the game and the use of advanced statistics. Tomorrow, he's breaking down Okafor.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2016, 04:39:37 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Was it widely reported or was it just a single report from Steve Bulpett citing a single source that was widely repeated?  I just don't think Ainge valued Okafor enough to be interested in a package for Okafor.  I'd be much more willing to believe Ainge was willing to take a huge risk with an offer for Embiid.
Really doesn't matter at this point.

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-sixers/report-jahlil-okafor-was-celtics-target-proposed-blockbuster

http://nesn.com/2016/02/report-sixers-jahlil-okafor-was-celtics-target-in-mystery-trade/

http://www.libertyballers.com/2016/2/19/11076536/celtics-reportedly-targeted-jahlil-okafor-before-trade-deadline

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/02/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_201.html

http://www.phillyvoice.com/nba-rumors-sixers-and-celtics-were-close-jahlil-okafor-trade-deadline/

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/celtics-76ers-trade-rumors-jahlil-okafor-mystery-player-trade-deadline-022116

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/02/20/robb-jahlil-okafor-celtics-trade-target/

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/2/19/11076358/nba-trade-rumor-jahlil-okafor-may-have-been-the-mystery-trade-target

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/240920/Celtics-Targeted-Trade-For-Jahlil-Okafor

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2016/02/20/report-jahlil-okafor-was-the-unnamed-target-for-celtics-on-trade-deadline-day/

http://973espn.com/report-celtics-trade-target-was-sixers-jahlil-okafor/

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/celtics-nearly-acquired-jahlil-okafor/293462

http://nesn.com/2016/05/bill-simmons-jahlil-okafor-would-be-best-case-scenario-for-celtics/

I'm not sure what your definition of "widely reported" is, but essentially every major publication covered the fact that Ainge was referring to Okafor when he said he came close to moving a package built around the Brooklyn pick for a player.  Not only that, but every NBA-related podcast I listened to also covered it.  Bulpett may have been the first to break that news, but many many publications later reported it.  And while you might be in denial like Clay and think Bulpett lied, it should be noted that not a single report ever came out disputing this fact.   It is what it is.   

Just for clarification, it's common knowledge that Ainge targeted lots of stars at the deadline.  Many reported that we also made offers for Jimmy Butler, for instance but it sounds like nothing was ever close to happening.  The Okafor report comes from when Ainge was point-blank asked in a radio interview if he had come close to making a deal involving the Brooklyn pick.  He said that yes, he came "very close" to using the 2016 Brooklyn Nets pick in a big trade before the other team backed out.   It was later widely reported (and never disputed) that Ainge was referring to a deal for Okafor.  While he may have indeed made other offers for a wide array of players - Okafor was the one we came close to landing before Philly thought better of it and "backed out" (the words Ainge used to describe it).

At this point, who cares.  Team wants/needs change.  Player values and perceived values change with time as well.  I wouldn't really expect Boston to offer the 2017 pick for Okafor at this point.  As Clay is keen to point out, prior to the 2016 draft Chad Ford thought Okafor was not worth a top 5 pick and speculated that Philly could only get a pick in the 6-8 range (which made no logical sense since everyone was pretty much in agreement all the picks in the 3-8 range were interchangeable) ... That's the same article in which Ford's colleague Kevin Pelton suggested Jusuf Nurkic was equal value for the #3 pick.  So take that for what it's worth.   Anyways, it sounds like Philly is keeping Okafor for now anyways.  So it's much ado about nothing.   Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 04:53:09 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2016, 06:56:08 AM »

Offline Havlicek

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
Considering his defense, rebounding and outside shooting, realistically how many minutes would Okafor play in Brad Stevens system?
I'd love to have him on the cheap, but for the original topic offer no way.

« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2016, 07:28:10 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-sixers/report-jahlil-okafor-was-celtics-target-proposed-blockbuster

Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald reports

http://nesn.com/2016/02/report-sixers-jahlil-okafor-was-celtics-target-in-mystery-trade/

Steve Bulpett reported Friday night

http://www.libertyballers.com/2016/2/19/11076536/celtics-reportedly-targeted-jahlil-okafor-before-trade-deadline

Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald hears the target was Sixers forward/center Jahlil Okafor

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/02/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_201.html

according to the Boston Herald's Steve Bulpett

http://www.phillyvoice.com/nba-rumors-sixers-and-celtics-were-close-jahlil-okafor-trade-deadline/

According the Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/celtics-76ers-trade-rumors-jahlil-okafor-mystery-player-trade-deadline-022116

via Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald

Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald revealed

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/2/19/11076358/nba-trade-rumor-jahlil-okafor-may-have-been-the-mystery-trade-target

Bulpett

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/240920/Celtics-Targeted-Trade-For-Jahlil-Okafor

no source

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2016/02/20/report-jahlil-okafor-was-the-unnamed-target-for-celtics-on-trade-deadline-day/

According to the Boston Herald’s Steve Bulpett

According to the Boston Herald’s Steve Bulpett

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/celtics-nearly-acquired-jahlil-okafor/293462

According to Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald

http://nesn.com/2016/05/bill-simmons-jahlil-okafor-would-be-best-case-scenario-for-celtics/

no source

In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2016, 08:31:41 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Really doesn't matter at this point.

I'm not sure what your definition of "widely reported" is, but essentially every major publication covered the fact that Ainge was referring to Okafor when he said he came close to moving a package built around the Brooklyn pick for a player.  Not only that, but every NBA-related podcast I listened to also covered it.  Bulpett may have been the first to break that news, but many many publications later reported it.  And while you might be in denial like Clay and think Bulpett lied, it should be noted that not a single report ever came out disputing this fact.   It is what it is.   

Just for clarification, it's common knowledge that Ainge targeted lots of stars at the deadline.  Many reported that we also made offers for Jimmy Butler, for instance but it sounds like nothing was ever close to happening.  The Okafor report comes from when Ainge was point-blank asked in a radio interview if he had come close to making a deal involving the Brooklyn pick.  He said that yes, he came "very close" to using the 2016 Brooklyn Nets pick in a big trade before the other team backed out.   It was later widely reported (and never disputed) that Ainge was referring to a deal for Okafor.  While he may have indeed made other offers for a wide array of players - Okafor was the one we came close to landing before Philly thought better of it and "backed out" (the words Ainge used to describe it).

At this point, who cares.  Team wants/needs change.  Player values and perceived values change with time as well.  I wouldn't really expect Boston to offer the 2017 pick for Okafor at this point.  As Clay is keen to point out, prior to the 2016 draft Chad Ford thought Okafor was not worth a top 5 pick and speculated that Philly could only get a pick in the 6-8 range (which made no logical sense since everyone was pretty much in agreement all the picks in the 3-8 range were interchangeable) ... That's the same article in which Ford's colleague Kevin Pelton suggested Jusuf Nurkic was equal value for the #3 pick.  So take that for what it's worth.   Anyways, it sounds like Philly is keeping Okafor for now anyways.  So it's much ado about nothing.   Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

Didn't Bulpett just recently say that the Bulls wanted the Brooklyn pick and Crowder for Buter and Ainge didn't want to pull the trigger?

Someone reputable said that Ainge offered up the Brooklyn pick for Butler, and the Bulls just wanted too much more so the deal fell through.
Anyone remember this recently?

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2016, 09:14:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few months

Im sure the 76ers are debating non stop as to who they should trade... Especially with Simmons coming back sooner than later

You have Noel/Okafor sit on the bench and rot or play decreased min, the lower their value will drop

IF danny can get either for zeller and a non nets pick(s), that will be great... But if another team like the pelicans or kings give up their 1st (lotto bound) , okafor gets a new life and plays well.... Well that would stink

« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2016, 11:08:54 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
If I were the GM of the 76ers, this would be the order of players that I want to keep:

-Embiid
-Simmons
-their 2017 draft pick
-Noel
-Okafor
-Saric

I like Noel's defensive game more than Okafor's offensive game. Maybe I'm biased, but soft bigs don't do anything for me. It's why I want to trade Olynyk for a frisbee.