Author Topic: Would you trade 2017 Nets pick for Okafor?  (Read 30108 times)

Re: Would you trade 2017 Nets pick for Okafor?
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2016, 01:40:59 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Hahahahahahahahaha. God no.

You think we should trade a guaranteed top 7 pick for a guy who's best possible future is Al Jefferson if he's lucky? Before we even know if it ends up #1? Yeah right.

Okafor just isn't that good. Poor shooter, poor rebounder, poor defender, poor teammate. Definitely not a guy we use one of our best picks in a decade on.
He is a better rebounder than advertised

What does this even mean? Are you insinuating that he rebounds better than his stats demonstrate? I posted this yesterday, which does NOT include his 1 rebound (YES, ONE!) in 26 minutes yesterday vs the Grizzlies:

He's averaging 3.5 RPG in 20 MPG. Over his last 5 games, you know now that the rust is off, he's averaged 2.8 RPG in 21.MPG. He has grabbed 14 rebounds over his last 106 minutes. For comparison, "small" 2 guard Avery Bradley is averaging 8.1 RPG in 35.7 MPG.

Honestly I dont know what is up with you sometimes

Click on the link below.... Your response better not be "well it was last year"... Connect the dots why he is struggling all around this season. Especially the low morale with what is going on in 76ers land

http://m.espn.com/nba/playergamelog?playerId=3135048&season=2015&month=11

You give up too much for that player.

There is no top flight prospect from the 2017 draft

What are you talking about? This is considered a great draft class from a talent perspective. I think you need to research this immediately, so you can save face and edit your post.

Example:

@EvanDaniels
http://Scout.com 's Director of Bball Recruiting | @FS1's, @FoxSports College Basketball Insider | The Sidelines Podcast on iTunes
In case you're wondering, next years NBA Draft should have far superior talent. Much deeper. 2016 recruiting class = Best I've seen.

Omg Evan Daniels, how could I?

Fultz is potentially a good prospect. But he could turn out to be a Delon Wright.

Smith has t rex arms though an  explosive athlete.

Jackson is more like shabazz muhammad than Porter

Tatum, Isaac have "children" bodies...

Everyone of one these prospects come with question marks

Giles if healthy is an elite talent/nba body ....but he is not healthy ...risky future
Everyone is talking about the quality and depth of the 2017 draft.  Jay Bilas said it is the best freshman class he's seen.   Need to see more (e.g. the Duke freshman) but from what I've seen so far, I think those assessment are accurate.  There are 4 or 5 SFs that could be as good or better than Brown and there are plenty of good PGs and PFs.  The center position looks relatively weak but that could change.

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2016, 01:42:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
KO is the definition of a poor rebounder(for his size)

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2016, 01:50:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

You think we should trade a guaranteed top 7 pick for a guy who's best possible future is Al Jefferson if he's lucky? Before we even know if it ends up #1? Yeah right.

Okafor just isn't that good. Poor shooter, poor rebounder, poor defender, poor teammate. Definitely not a guy we use one of our best picks in a decade on.

What does this even mean? Are you insinuating that he rebounds better than his stats demonstrate? I posted this yesterday, which does NOT include his 1 rebound (YES, ONE!) in 26 minutes yesterday vs the Grizzlies:

He's averaging 3.5 RPG in 20 MPG. Over his last 5 games, you know now that the rust is off, he's averaged 2.8 RPG in 21.MPG. He has grabbed 14 rebounds over his last 106 minutes. For comparison, "small" 2 guard Avery Bradley is averaging 8.1 RPG in 35.7 MPG.

Click on the link below.... Your response better not be "well it was last year"... Connect the dots why he is struggling all around this season. Especially the low morale with what is going on in 76ers land

What are you talking about? This is considered a great draft class from a talent perspective. I think you need to research this immediately, so you can save face and edit your post.

Example:

@EvanDaniels
http://Scout.com 's Director of Bball Recruiting | @FS1's, @FoxSports College Basketball Insider | The Sidelines Podcast on iTunes
In case you're wondering, next years NBA Draft should have far superior talent. Much deeper. 2016 recruiting class = Best I've seen.

Fultz is potentially a good prospect. But he could turn out to be a Delon Wright.

Giles if healthy is an elite talent/nba body ....but he is not healthy ...risky future
Everyone is talking about the quality and depth of the 2017 draft.  Jay Bilas said it is the best freshman class he's seen.   Need to see more (e.g. the Duke freshman) but from what I've seen so far, I think those assessment are accurate.  There are 4 or 5 SFs that could be as good or better than Brown and there are plenty of good PGs and PFs.  The center position looks relatively weak but that could change.

But what about pf/c?

If Okafor was coming out of the 2017 draft ...would probably end up being a top 3-5 pick

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2016, 01:52:13 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Example:

@EvanDaniels

You should really quit while you're ahead. Every post you make is more ridiculous than the last in an attempt to mask the inept premise of this imaginary trade thread.

You should talk... Okafor cant rebound... And using this years circumstances to try to strengthen your point(or weak point)

He had multiple 10 plus rebound games last year ... 15 rebounds, 12 rebounds etc...

To be more specific, he had 12 10+ rebound games, which is good considering that he played only 65 games. His 11 games with less than 5 rebounds, though, is awful for a big man, ESPECIALLY one that played only 65 games. He averaged 7 rebounds a game because he's not a good rebounder, whether or you want to accept that or not. He has his strengths, but you're deluding yourself if you think rebounding is one of them

Okafor's offensive and defensive rebounding rates are worse than Amir's, so unless you consider Amir to be a great rebounder, Okafor is clearly below average

Never stated he was a top dog rebounder but he has potential dont you agree?

When was the last time amir had 10 plus rebounds? Or zeller?

It would be nice once in a while a guy grabs 15 ...  And steal a game or two

Okafor just needs to develop consistency.... And even if he cant and avg 8 rpg , he is still a good talent with ability to grab 13-15 here and there

Amir had 13 on April 3rd against the Lakers, and Zeller had 10 on November 3rd against the Cavs. For reference, Okafor's last 10 rebound game was February 10th (although he missed almost 20 games last year),  so they've actually had 10+ rebound games more recently than him

Rebounding is a skill that transfers very well fron college to the pros, and players rarely have a huge improvement in rebounding from season to season, so, no, I don't expect much of an improvement from him

Averaging 8 rebounds per game would put him firmly in the realm of average rebounders, which would be a great improvement from where he sits now as a below average rebounder

Actually, Olynyk also had a more recent 10+ rebound game with 11 on April 10th, and Jerebko had 10 on April 24th against the Hawks in the playoffs. Having a few 10+ rebound games means literally nothing as far as rebounding ability is concerned
I'm bitter.

« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2016, 01:57:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Guys he is not a good rebounder. This is not really debatable. He could be good at other things. Rebounding is not one of them.

How can a poor rebounder grab 15?

Have you seen Zeller ever grab 15 rebounds?

It just comes down to consistentcy ... Not saying Okafor is a shoe in to average 10 plus... But a bad rebounds cant grab 12-15 rebounds a game multiple times

Do you not think mark blount was a poor rebounder? Was Brandon hunter a good NBA rebounder?

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2016, 01:59:11 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
KO is the definition of a poor rebounder(for his size)

Actually, Okafor and Olynyk have nearly identical rebounding % (for offensive, defensive, AND total). Believe it or not, Kelly is actually slightly ahead

Source
I'm bitter.

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2016, 02:13:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Guys he is not a good rebounder. This is not really debatable. He could be good at other things. Rebounding is not one of them.

It just comes down to consistentcy ... Not saying Okafor is a shoe in to average 10 plus... But a bad rebounds cant grab 12-15 rebounds a game multiple times

Do you not think mark blount was a poor rebounder? Was Brandon hunter a good NBA rebounder?

"Potential" to be good if he wasnt a bum

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2016, 02:25:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I was more willing to trade the 2016 Nets pick for Okafor, because it was widely called a 2 player draft and Okafor was widely seen as a better prospect than anyone available after Ben Simmons (some had Ingram ahead of him, though).

Obviously AInge agreed, because he reportedly offered a package built around the 2016 pick for Okafor at the trade deadline and Philly declined.

This year is a little different.  It's still early, but I've read there's at least 5 guys in this draft with legitimate star potential.   Hearing some very positive things about this draft.  Some are saying it's "loaded" with talent.  Based on a couple articles I skimmed, I got the impression that a tier3/4 prospect like Jaylen Brown would go no higher than 10th in the 2017 draft.   So we're potentially talking about a very different situation here than last season when Ainge offered a package built around the 2016 pick for Okafor.  When Ainge made that offer, there was still a chance the pick could have ended up #1 and net a real upgrade in Simmons, but it was still more likely to fall in the 3-5 range where Okafor was clearly a better prospect.  Can't blame Philly for turning that one down.  You don't trade a bluechip prospect for an unknown scratch ticket that most likely would end up a weak prospect.

I don't follow College ball enough to have a firm opinion on this upcoming draft.  It's still early.  But if it's true that we're looking at possible 5 superstars and 5-10 guys with more potential than Jaylen Brown (Okafor-level prospects), then I'd definitely rather keep the 2017 pick.   

My only fear is that when Jeremy Lin comes back, the Nets go on a run and push themselves outside the bottom 5-10.  So far, the Nets are undefeated in games where Jeremy Lin played and Brook Lopez got 25+ minutes.   So hopefully they stay ravaged by injuries and the idea of moving the 2017 Nets pick for Okafor doesn't go from "plausible" to "pipe dream".

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2016, 02:39:58 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Example:

@EvanDaniels

But what about pf/c?

If Okafor was coming out of the 2017 draft ...would probably end up being a top 3-5 pick
Based on his college play and the potentially weak center class, Okafor might well go top 5 in this draft.  However from watching him last year and this year, he has significant limitations.  His defense is improving but he's never going to be an intimidating presence in the paint and he's never going to step out and play tough perimeter defense.  He's never going to be a great rebounder.  He could become a solid defensive rebounder but he's going to have to rely on fundamentals not physical ability.  He drives the lane pretty well but is hindered by his jump shooting.  He's going to have to improve his shooting out to at least 15'.  Okafor does seem to have lost some weight and appears to be a bit quicker.  However the lack of bulk is hindering him a bit.  He needs to adds some strength to make up for it.  I still think Okafor could become a "lesser" star (i.e. a better Al Jefferson) but he's got a lot of work to do to make it happen. 

As for this draft at PF/C, Giles is the big question mark but Bolden has also been out injured.  I like what I've seen from Markkanen and would put him in the top 10.  Rabb is solid but don't see that much upside but he'd be a great help with our rebounding woes.  Bam's movement on the perimeter is quite good but he needs to become more of a presence on defense. 

« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2016, 02:40:47 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

January 19th, 2013 Zeller had 14 rebounds against the Jazz.

« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2016, 03:00:27 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

Example:

@EvanDaniels

But what about pf/c?

So Okafor would have been a bust in the 2017 draft too.  Good to know.

« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2016, 03:44:05 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Example:

@EvanDaniels

Delon Wright? Really?

He could turn out ...
He is not explosive, though has very good size for a pg

He is also not a solid shooter... Good ball handler, passer and overall nice.... But really you want another guard?

There comes a time when "needs" are more important

That time is not with a top 5 pick.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2016, 03:48:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I was more willing to trade the 2016 Nets pick for Okafor, because it was widely called a 2 player draft and Okafor was widely seen as a better prospect than anyone available after Ben Simmons (some had Ingram ahead of him, though).

Obviously AInge agreed, because he reportedly offered a package built around the 2016 pick for Okafor at the trade deadline and Philly declined.

This year is a little different.  It's still early, but I've read there's at least 5 guys in this draft with legitimate star potential.   Hearing some very positive things about this draft.  Some are saying it's "loaded" with talent.  Based on a couple articles I skimmed, I got the impression that a tier3/4 prospect like Jaylen Brown would go no higher than 10th in the 2017 draft.   So we're potentially talking about a very different situation here than last season when Ainge offered a package built around the 2016 pick for Okafor.  When Ainge made that offer, there was still a chance the pick could have ended up #1 and net a real upgrade in Simmons, but it was still more likely to fall in the 3-5 range where Okafor was clearly a better prospect.  Can't blame Philly for turning that one down.  You don't trade a bluechip prospect for an unknown scratch ticket that most likely would end up a weak prospect.

I don't follow College ball enough to have a firm opinion on this upcoming draft.  It's still early.  But if it's true that we're looking at possible 5 superstars and 5-10 guys with more potential than Jaylen Brown (Okafor-level prospects), then I'd definitely rather keep the 2017 pick.   

My only fear is that when Jeremy Lin comes back, the Nets go on a run and push themselves outside the bottom 5-10.  So far, the Nets are undefeated in games where Jeremy Lin played and Brook Lopez got 25+ minutes.   So hopefully they stay ravaged by injuries and the idea of moving the 2017 Nets pick for Okafor doesn't go from "plausible" to "pipe dream".

This okafor Boston bit is not accurate. Ford, your favorite guy that you are citing here ironically, reported the 76ers wanted a top 6 pick for okafor but could not get it. Either you believe Ford really talks to gms and gets accurate views from them to form his tiers and trade reports or you don't. You can't write a paragraph with a straight face that says he is correct in his tiers but write the opposite of what he reported for okafor. That doesn't make sense.

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2016, 04:10:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Example:

@EvanDaniels

But what about pf/c?

Based on his college play and the potentially weak center class, Okafor might well go top 5 in this draft.  However from watching him last year and this year, he has significant limitations.  His defense is improving but he's never going to be an intimidating presence in the paint and he's never going to step out and play tough perimeter defense.  He's never going to be a great rebounder.  He could become a solid defensive rebounder but he's going to have to rely on fundamentals not physical ability.  He drives the lane pretty well but is hindered by his jump shooting.  He's going to have to improve his shooting out to at least 15'.  Okafor does seem to have lost some weight and appears to be a bit quicker.  However the lack of bulk is hindering him a bit.  He needs to adds some strength to make up for it.  I still think Okafor could become a "lesser" star (i.e. a better Al Jefferson) but he's got a lot of work to do to make it happen. 

As for this draft at PF/C, Giles is the big question mark but Bolden has also been out injured.  I like what I've seen from Markkanen and would put him in the top 10.  Rabb is solid but don't see that much upside but he'd be a great help with our rebounding woes.  Bam's movement on the perimeter is quite good but he needs to become more of a presence on defense.

Makkanen and Bam wont be stars in the nba. 

Rabb is like a better version of Amir... Still not a game changer or anything

You are forgetting what if Okafor gets taught by Al Horford... Okafor is 6'10 but has a very nice 7'4 wingspan and reach. He has potential to dominate around the post at both ends

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2016, 04:21:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

This okafor Boston bit is not accurate. Ford, your favorite guy that you are citing here ironically, reported the 76ers wanted a top 6 pick for okafor but could not get it. Either you believe Ford really talks to gms and gets accurate views from them to form his tiers and trade reports or you don't. You can't write a paragraph with a straight face that says he is correct in his tiers but write the opposite of what he reported for okafor. That doesn't make sense.

Exactly... We dont know what was offered... But I bet it was not the 3rd pick.... Likely a package including the 16, 23  pick