Author Topic: Would you trade 2017 Nets pick for Okafor?  (Read 30152 times)

Re: Would you trade 2017 Nets pick for Okafor?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2016, 12:02:05 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
To 76ers: Zeller, Zizic, Demetrius Jackson, 2017 Nets 1st, 2017 2nd round pick
To Celtics: Okafor, Thompson, Brand
Brand retired so he can't be traded.  I'd also much rather have Covington than Thompson.  You didn't mention any protection on the 2017 Nets 1st so that makes the proposal an easy NO WAY.  I wouldn't trade the 2017 Nets 1st without significant protection except for a Cousins level star.  I have liked what I've seen from Okafor his last few games but he's still got a lot of work to do in several areas (defense, rebounding and outside shooting) to reach his potential.  I also don't think Okafor fits that well into Stevens' system.  I'm not against getting Okafor via a reasonable trade but I think there are better targets for us including in the 2017 draft.     

Wait you like what you have seen from okafors last few games? He just had 3 times as many turnovers as field goals for the game and got roasted on defense...
I actually watched the games.  Going against Whiteside, Gasol and ZBo are tough matchups.  He didn't get roasted on defense.  Within his limitations, he actually did reasonably well.  He looks significantly better defensively than he did last season or early on this season albeit that's a low benchmark.   He didn't have a good game offensively against Memphis but he had 15pts and 0 turnovers against the Heat.  A lot of the issue offensively is with the Sixers guards (other than Rodriguez) lack of playmaking ability.  When Simmons returns that will help Embiid and Okafor a lot offensively.

You watched philly game instead of Celtics?
I'm in Alabama and the Grizzlies/Sixers game was on TV.  Like I've said before, I'm a big Embiid fan from watching him in college.  I also watched some of the Pelicans/TWolves game.  I have NBA League pass but live viewing has sucked for me lately.  It works better on replay so I use it to catch up on games.

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2016, 12:04:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hahahahahahahahaha. God no.

You think we should trade a guaranteed top 7 pick for a guy who's best possible future is Al Jefferson if he's lucky? Before we even know if it ends up #1? Yeah right.

Okafor just isn't that good. Poor shooter, poor rebounder, poor defender, poor teammate. Definitely not a guy we use one of our best picks in a decade on.
He is a better rebounder than advertised

What does this even mean? Are you insinuating that he rebounds better than his stats demonstrate? I posted this yesterday, which does NOT include his 1 rebound (YES, ONE!) in 26 minutes yesterday vs the Grizzlies:

He's averaging 3.5 RPG in 20 MPG. Over his last 5 games, you know now that the rust is off, he's averaged 2.8 RPG in 21.MPG. He has grabbed 14 rebounds over his last 106 minutes. For comparison, "small" 2 guard Avery Bradley is averaging 8.1 RPG in 35.7 MPG.

Honestly I dont know what is up with you sometimes

Click on the link below.... Your response better not be "well it was last year"... Connect the dots why he is struggling all around this season. Especially with the low morale with what is going on in 76ers land

http://m.espn.com/nba/playergamelog?playerId=3135048&season=2015&month=11

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2016, 12:06:17 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

You think we should trade a guaranteed top 7 pick for a guy who's best possible future is Al Jefferson if he's lucky? Before we even know if it ends up #1? Yeah right.

Okafor just isn't that good. Poor shooter, poor rebounder, poor defender, poor teammate. Definitely not a guy we use one of our best picks in a decade on.

What does this even mean? Are you insinuating that he rebounds better than his stats demonstrate? I posted this yesterday, which does NOT include his 1 rebound (YES, ONE!) in 26 minutes yesterday vs the Grizzlies:

He's averaging 3.5 RPG in 20 MPG. Over his last 5 games, you know now that the rust is off, he's averaged 2.8 RPG in 21.MPG. He has grabbed 14 rebounds over his last 106 minutes. For comparison, "small" 2 guard Avery Bradley is averaging 8.1 RPG in 35.7 MPG.

Click on the link below.... Your response better not be "well it was last year"... Connect the dots why he is struggling all around this season. Especially the low morale with what is going on in 76ers land

You give up too much for that player.

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2016, 12:07:06 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah we could give up the 2017 Nets Pick for Okafor...

Then 99% of Celtics Nation would want Ainge to get Fired.   :laugh:

Don't you think if the C's really wanted Okafor, they could have dealt the 2016 BKN pick for him back in June 22-23? Also I've heard lots of people/experts out there saying Okafor is worth a mid-late first rounder at best, along with a second rounder and maybe filler (players).

Price for Noel and Okafor are down as Sixers plan to move on from one of them especially with Embiid now back healthy.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2016, 12:08:25 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Click on the link below.... Your response better not be "well it was last year"... Connect the dots why he is struggling all around this season. Especially with the low morale with what is going on in 76ers land

Showing a snippet of games where he rebounded well is meaningless. He was an historically bad rebounder last year. He's historically bad this year. And considering that the Sixers are finally a real team, competing in and winning games, I'm not sure how low morale is.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2016, 12:09:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Click on the link below.... Your response better not be "well it was last year"... Connect the dots why he is struggling all around this season. Especially the low morale with what is going on in 76ers land

Suddenly zizic is a top 10 prospect?

There is no top flight prospect from the 2017 draft

Brown is better than Jackson.   

A couple of good pgs could come out of this draft but not at Paul, Curry level... (And please no more pgs)

Giles is the guy I would want... But a healthy version.
. Not a guy that has had multiple torn mcl/acl

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2016, 12:11:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Showing a snippet of games where he rebounded well is meaningless. He was an historically bad rebounder last year. He's historically bad this year. And considering that the Sixers are finally a real team, competing in and winning games, I'm not sure how low morale is.

He was a rookie!  You guys expect ALOT , beyond reasonable

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2016, 12:13:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Not if we're throwing in this other stuff no. Unnecessary overpay

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2016, 12:13:26 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

He was a rookie!  You guys expect ALOT , beyond reasonable

His rebounding was historically bad for a rookie. 33 rookie Centers have played 30+ MPG in their rookie years. Okafor ranks 32nd in RPG and 23/25 in TRB% (numbers only go back far enough to include 25 players).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:19:54 PM by max215 »
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2016, 12:14:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

So what reasonable package would you give up

Zizic and a non lotto 1st? Why would the 76ers accept that for a 3rd pick (only 2 years into the league)

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2016, 12:21:52 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

There is no top flight prospect from the 2017 draft

What are you talking about? This is considered a great draft class from a talent perspective. I think you need to research this immediately, so you can save face and edit your post.

Example:

@EvanDaniels
http://Scout.com 's Director of Bball Recruiting | @FS1's, @FoxSports College Basketball Insider | The Sidelines Podcast on iTunes
In case you're wondering, next years NBA Draft should have far superior talent. Much deeper. 2016 recruiting class = Best I've seen.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:28:58 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2016, 12:23:47 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You're joking right?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2016, 12:27:53 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Zizic and a non lotto 1st? Why would the 76ers accept that for a 3rd pick (only 2 years into the league)

Coz he sucks.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2016, 12:39:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

What Okafor is not, is a guy that can carry the 76ers on his shoulders

But i can see him excelling on a vet team with hard working guys like the Celts... Have AL teach him how to play properly and not clown around in philly

Okafor is actually a smart guy that has improved on his defense and has time to further improve.  He is a better rebounder than advertised

Worst case I would love to have a younger Al Jefferson on the team. How is that a bad thing?

A younger Al Jefferson who won't ever be as good at rebounding or defense as Al Jefferson.  Sounds like a player who should be coming off the bench.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2016, 12:40:37 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

The 76ers should ask for more than the Celtics should be willing to give up.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference