Author Topic: Would you trade 2017 Nets pick for Okafor?  (Read 30141 times)

Re: Would you trade 2017 Nets pick for Okafor?
« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2016, 07:36:54 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
The Bulls beat writer says that the Bulls and Celtics discussed a deal for the Brooklyn pick and Butler, but Ainge wouldn't budge on including Jae Crowder and deal fell through.

He references Bulpett saying that the Celtics made a bid for Butler.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/04/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_205.html

Here's Bulpett's story about going after Butler:
Far more likely that we were going for a 'win now' player like Butler, vs a sophomore Okafor.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2016/03/bulpett_celtics_made_bid_for_jimmy_butler_in_search_of_difference_maker
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2016, 07:43:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
The Bulls beat writer says that the Bulls and Celtics discussed a deal for the Brooklyn pick and Butler, but Ainge wouldn't budge on including Jae Crowder and deal fell through.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/04/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_205.html

Far more likely that we were going for a 'win now' player like Butler, vs a sophomore Okafor.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2016/03/bulpett_celtics_made_bid_for_jimmy_butler_in_search_of_difference_maker

wait so this keeps getting crazier. Now lb wants us to believe bulpetts report on okafor, but not his report on butler? Tough day on the blog indeed

« Reply #167 on: November 25, 2016, 07:47:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
#3 - We have made multiple offers for Okafor since he entered the league.  At this point if you don't believe that to be true, you might as well just ignore all media.  It's been widely reported and backed up by numerous sources.   The fact that Ainge offered the Brooklyn pick for a player came directly from Ainge himself.  Bulpett was the one who told us it was Okafor and we have never seen anyone say otherwise.   Go whine to Bulpett if you are upset about his reporting.  Go write angry letters to ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS, NBC, etc and all the many local and national publications who reported what Bulpett wrote without fact-checking.   My assumption is that they did... and nobody from Boston or Philly disputed it - so they continued to credit Bulpett with breaking the factual story.

Zach Lowe and Amin Elhassan said otherwise.  The Sixers denied the rumor.  I assume that Ainge made a lowball offer, but I don't think Okafor fits the kind of player he would overpay for and Ainge spoke about a "big package" and not just the pick.

I suspect one of two things.  Either Ainge was looking at Okafor as a piece in a three-way trade with a team that wanted an established player and not just picks and he was not the main target or Ainge was working on a true surprise like a godfather offer for Durant out of a belief that a short stint with Stevens would convince Durant to re-sign.

Yes. Yes. LB repeatedly conveniently avoids mentioning this part. I agree with you completely that the odds are overwelmingly in favor that the trade was not for Okafor.
I ignore it, because he's shown no source supporting this claim.  I'm not going to do that research for him.  First of all, I remember Zach Lowe saying he doubted the report, but he never claimed Bulpett was wrong.  He never offered an alternative for who Ainge was referring to.   If I'm wrong there, prove it.   Show me where Lowe actually offered a contradictory report to who Ainge was referring to. 

Second, Philly never disputed Bulpett's report.  Show me otherwise.   I ignored what Loosecannon said, because neither of his claims are true and I didn't want to waste my time writing a post saying that.  Especially since it's really irrelevant to what Philly would be wiling to trade Okafor for today.  One way or the other, it doesn't matter if we offered the Brooklyn pick + Bradley + Smart for Okafor at the deadline.   That's in the past.  Just like it doesn't matter that we offered half the team to Charlotte with hopes of getting Justice Winslow.  It's not like Charlotte can turn around and say, "hey we changed our mind... give us jaylen brown and terry rozier + 4 other picks for Frank Kaminsky".  Too late.  They blew it.  I don't know why people get so sensitive about things we offered in the past.   There was a time when we considered moving Paul Pierce for Ty Thomas and Luol Deng.   Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.  Don't get bent out of shape about it.  I doubt Golden State fans are losing sleep over the fact that at one point in years ago their team genuinely gave thought to moving Steph Curry for Rajon Rondo.

Here is a podcast where Lowe doubts that Okafor is a target.  Here is an article by Keith Pompey, 76ers beat writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer, which refers to the team denying the rumor.

It was reported around draft day that Ainge was asking for Okafor and additional assets for the Nets pick.  It was also reported that Ainge was not increasing the offers he was making for guys like Jimmy Butler.  This suggests to me that the deal Ainge would have offered at the trade deadline would have similarly wanted Philly to cough up more than just Okafor.

Overall, Okafor is a flawed player whose skill set is a poor fit for what Stevens wants to do.  He'd make sense if you wanted to slow the pace down and try to pair him with Cousins in imitation of what the Grizzlies have been doing.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2016, 08:52:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
#3 - We have made multiple offers for Okafor since he entered the league.  At this point if you don't believe that to be true, you might as well just ignore all media.  It's been widely reported and backed up by numerous sources.   The fact that Ainge offered the Brooklyn pick for a player came directly from Ainge himself.  Bulpett was the one who told us it was Okafor and we have never seen anyone say otherwise.   Go whine to Bulpett if you are upset about his reporting.  Go write angry letters to ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS, NBC, etc and all the many local and national publications who reported what Bulpett wrote without fact-checking.   My assumption is that they did... and nobody from Boston or Philly disputed it - so they continued to credit Bulpett with breaking the factual story.

Zach Lowe and Amin Elhassan said otherwise.  The Sixers denied the rumor.  I assume that Ainge made a lowball offer, but I don't think Okafor fits the kind of player he would overpay for and Ainge spoke about a "big package" and not just the pick.

I suspect one of two things.  Either Ainge was looking at Okafor as a piece in a three-way trade with a team that wanted an established player and not just picks and he was not the main target or Ainge was working on a true surprise like a godfather offer for Durant out of a belief that a short stint with Stevens would convince Durant to re-sign.

Yes. Yes. LB repeatedly conveniently avoids mentioning this part. I agree with you completely that the odds are overwelmingly in favor that the trade was not for Okafor.
I ignore it, because he's shown no source supporting this claim.  I'm not going to do that research for him.  First of all, I remember Zach Lowe saying he doubted the report, but he never claimed Bulpett was wrong.  He never offered an alternative for who Ainge was referring to.   If I'm wrong there, prove it.   Show me where Lowe actually offered a contradictory report to who Ainge was referring to. 

Second, Philly never disputed Bulpett's report.  Show me otherwise.   I ignored what Loosecannon said, because neither of his claims are true and I didn't want to waste my time writing a post saying that.  Especially since it's really irrelevant to what Philly would be wiling to trade Okafor for today.  One way or the other, it doesn't matter if we offered the Brooklyn pick + Bradley + Smart for Okafor at the deadline.   That's in the past.  Just like it doesn't matter that we offered half the team to Charlotte with hopes of getting Justice Winslow.  It's not like Charlotte can turn around and say, "hey we changed our mind... give us jaylen brown and terry rozier + 4 other picks for Frank Kaminsky".  Too late.  They blew it.  I don't know why people get so sensitive about things we offered in the past.   There was a time when we considered moving Paul Pierce for Ty Thomas and Luol Deng.   Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.  Don't get bent out of shape about it.  I doubt Golden State fans are losing sleep over the fact that at one point in years ago their team genuinely gave thought to moving Steph Curry for Rajon Rondo.

Here is a podcast where Lowe doubts that Okafor is a target.  Here is an article by Keith Pompey, 76ers beat writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer, which refers to the team denying the rumor.

It was reported around draft day that Ainge was asking for Okafor and additional assets for the Nets pick.  It was also reported that Ainge was not increasing the offers he was making for guys like Jimmy Butler.  This suggests to me that the deal Ainge would have offered at the trade deadline would have similarly wanted Philly to cough up more than just Okafor.

Overall, Okafor is a flawed player whose skill set is a poor fit for what Stevens wants to do.  He'd make sense if you wanted to slow the pace down and try to pair him with Cousins in imitation of what the Grizzlies have been doing.
wow. After lb said he was ignoring you because you were making stuff up. How do you get that much egg off your face? Tough day on the blog indeed

« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2016, 09:04:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

wow. After lb said he was ignoring you because you were making stuff up. How do you get that much egg off your face? Tough day on the blog indeed
So as I said, Lowe doubted the report but didn't have an alternative report. 

The Philly article is hilarious because while it does say philly "denied the report" its said in the context of "why would we ever trade okafor for such a lowly draft pick... okafor is way better than a draft pick".   Good stuff.

"The Boston Herald had reported that the Sixers had a deal in place to trade Okafor to the Boston Celtics at the Feb. 18 trade deadline. The team denied that report and has always publicly praised the rookie. And it should. He’s been fun to watch on the offensive end."... not surprised that quote wasnt shared.

But ok... looks like Philly denies that they considered such a paltry offer for their budding future star.  I still say there's far more evidence to suggest bulpett wasn't making this up.  Whether you choose to believe bulpetts report or the Philly response it sounds like Philly wanted more than just a package built around that Brooklyn pick at the time.   And it remains interesting that nobody has offered an alternate name for who ainge was referring to.  More interesting that nobody from the Celtics denied that okafor was who they tried and failed to acquire with a package built around the Brooklyn pick.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 09:12:27 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2016, 09:19:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

wait so this keeps getting crazier. Now lb wants us to believe bulpetts report on okafor, but not his report on butler? Tough day on the blog indeed
you mean the butler report i brought up earlier in this thread and never denied ?  Lol.  Yes, we tried to trade for butler per bulpett's report. Doesn't sound like it was close.  Everyone seems to love that bulpett report.  And yet they sure do get their cupcake undies into a bunch when you point out that bulpett was the one who said Ainge was referring to Okafor when he said the team came close to acquiring a player for the Brooklyn pick.  On burn!  Must be terrible having bacon on your face.  Lolz. #claywantsbreakfast

Like I said earlier, sounds like there were several players we tried trading the pick for at the deadline.  Butler was one of them.  According to Ainge, one deal came close to happening.  Everyone reported that was okafor he was referring to.  Nobody offered an alternative name.

« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2016, 09:41:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I think it is fair to say you had a tough day at the. Log as others have mentioned

« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2016, 09:45:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I think it is fair to say you had a tough day at the. Log as others have mentioned
Look, there's no denying it.  I've had a tough day on the blog.  You win some and you lose some.  Both sides played hard.  The LarBrd33 bot gave it it's best effort.  We liked some of the shots we took regarding Okafor, the shots just weren't going in.  Not all home dingers are made equal.  All we can do is pick the brunch off our face and try again tomorrow.  Last thing I'll say...  I think we'd all agree that most of the blame today regarding LarBrd33's tough day is on the refs, not LarBrd33. 

« Reply #173 on: November 25, 2016, 09:52:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Look, there's no denying it.  I've had a tough day on the blog.  You win some and you lose some.  Both sides played hard.  The LarBrd33 bot gave it it's best effort.  We liked some of the shots we took regarding Okafor, the shots just weren't going in.  Not all home dingers are made equal.  All we can do is pick the brunch off our face and try again tomorrow.  Last thing I'll say...  I think we'd all agree that most of the blame today regarding LarBrd33's tough day is on the refs, not LarBrd33.
tp man. At the end of the day you know I love ya

« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2017, 10:57:20 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
To 76ers: Zeller, Zizic, Demetrius Jackson, 2017 Nets 1st, 2017 2nd round pick
To Celtics: Okafor, Thompson, Brand

Another DNP-CD for Okafor tonight. I wonder if Nets' 2017 still seems like a fair exchange for him to anyone on this forum.

« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2017, 11:02:43 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
I would do it if we are getting the Laker's pick as well.

« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2017, 11:07:20 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Hell no. Maybe if Okafor was a better rebounder, but no way in hell Okafor is any better than any of the player in the top 2 in the 2017 draft

« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2017, 11:18:25 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Would okafor even be a 1st round pick?

« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2017, 11:20:06 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Would okafor even be a 1st round pick?

I could certainly see someone trading a mid-to-late first for him.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2017, 11:47:48 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
No.