Author Topic: Would you trade 2017 Nets pick for Okafor?  (Read 29987 times)

Re: Would you trade 2017 Nets pick for Okafor?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 10:10:06 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
And on another note is there a pf/C in the top 7 (2017 draft) as good or with better potential than Okafor?

Only ones I can think of are Giles (if healthy), Rabb(not likely) , Harstenstein(tricky to asses)

Lauri Markkanen ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ6ZIG28OPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAJ3ltmUWFU&t=108s

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
To 76ers: Zeller, Zizic, Demetrius Jackson, 2017 Nets 1st, 2017 2nd round pick
To Celtics: Okafor, Thompson, Brand
Brand retired so he can't be traded.  I'd also much rather have Covington than Thompson.  You didn't mention any protection on the 2017 Nets 1st so that makes the proposal an easy NO WAY.  I wouldn't trade the 2017 Nets 1st without significant protection except for a Cousins level star.  I have liked what I've seen from Okafor his last few games but he's still got a lot of work to do in several areas (defense, rebounding and outside shooting) to reach his potential.  I also don't think Okafor fits that well into Stevens' system.  I'm not against getting Okafor via a reasonable trade but I think there are better targets for us including in the 2017 draft.     

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 10:33:01 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Brand retired so he can't be traded.  I'd also much rather have Covington than Thompson.  You didn't mention any protection on the 2017 Nets 1st so that makes the proposal an easy NO WAY.  I wouldn't trade the 2017 Nets 1st without significant protection except for a Cousins level star.  I have liked what I've seen from Okafor his last few games but he's still got a lot of work to do in several areas (defense, rebounding and outside shooting) to reach his potential.  I also don't think Okafor fits that well into Stevens' system.  I'm not against getting Okafor via a reasonable trade but I think there are better targets for us including in the 2017 draft.     

Wait you like what you have seen from okafors last few games? He just had 3 times as many turnovers as field goals for the game and got roasted on defense...

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 10:34:04 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
And on another note is there a pf/C in the top 7 (2017 draft) as good or with better potential than Okafor?

Only ones I can think of are Giles (if healthy), Rabb(not likely) , Harstenstein(tricky to asses)

Lauri Markkanen ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ6ZIG28OPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAJ3ltmUWFU&t=108s
Its early but I like what I've seen of Markkanen so far.  I would be for drafting him and letting Olynyk walk. 

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2016, 11:07:07 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Someone has had too much turkey already...tryptophan!!

Tp lol

TP back for being a good sport!

But triboy...why move that pick for Okafor?  I like but don't love his game.

It has the potential to be the #1 pick.  If the pick is getting moved...it has to be for a superstar.

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2016, 11:08:08 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Wait you like what you have seen from okafors last few games? He just had 3 times as many turnovers as field goals for the game and got roasted on defense...
I actually watched the games.  Going against Whiteside, Gasol and ZBo are tough matchups.  He didn't get roasted on defense.  Within his limitations, he actually did reasonably well.  He looks significantly better defensively than he did last season or early on this season albeit that's a low benchmark.   He didn't have a good game offensively against Memphis but he had 15pts and 0 turnovers against the Heat.  A lot of the issue offensively is with the Sixers guards (other than Rodriguez) lack of playmaking ability.  When Simmons returns that will help Embiid and Okafor a lot offensively.   

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2016, 11:12:54 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
No way.

Okafor's value is sinking by the day. He can't defend, can't rebound, and even his one trick (low post offense) is met with him holding the ball for a long period of time. His style is the polar opposite of the "pace and space" we want to play at. With the league trending the way it is, it's little wonder why no one wants this cubic zirconia.

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2016, 11:19:53 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
No way.

Okafor's value is sinking by the day. He can't defend, can't rebound, and even his one trick (low post offense) is met with him holding the ball for a long period of time. His style is the polar opposite of the "pace and space" we want to play at. With the league trending the way it is, it's little wonder why no one wants this cubic zirconia.

SLAM!

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2016, 11:24:43 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I actually watched the games.  Going against Whiteside, Gasol and ZBo are tough matchups.  He didn't get roasted on defense.  Within his limitations, he actually did reasonably well.  He looks significantly better defensively than he did last season or early on this season albeit that's a low benchmark.   He didn't have a good game offensively against Memphis but he had 15pts and 0 turnovers against the Heat.  A lot of the issue offensively is with the Sixers guards (other than Rodriguez) lack of playmaking ability.  When Simmons returns that will help Embiid and Okafor a lot offensively.

You watched philly game instead of Celtics?

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2016, 11:41:28 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Not with zizic involved

I'd like to see what he turns into

But just the pick? Sure

I agree with this.

Except for Giles, there is no big (c/PF) in the top 20 that has Okafor's potential. And with his TWO major knee surgeries, who knows when (or if) Giles will be ready to contribute at the NBA level.

Forgetting bigs, and even going for BPA, I'm still not convinced about this draft class and how much it's being hyped. I'll admit, that I have only watched NCAA stuff and there are a bunch of internationals in the Top 30s of many mocks.

Okafor has been in a REAL suck place. Bring him here where he is needed (not the case in Philly), and let Crowder, Smart and Bradley kick his ass (no one there like those guys in Philly to hold him accountable), and we'll have something special.

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2016, 11:47:06 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Not with zizic involved

I'd like to see what he turns into

But just the pick? Sure

I agree with this.

Except for Giles, there is no big (c/PF) in the top 20 that has Okafor's potential. And with his TWO major knee surgeries, who knows when (or if) Giles will be ready to contribute at the NBA level.

Forgetting bigs, and even going for BPA, I'm still not convinced about this draft class and how much it's being hyped. I'll admit, that I have only watched NCAA stuff and there are a bunch of internationals in the Top 30s of many mocks.

Okafor has been in a REAL suck place. Bring him here where he is needed (not the case in Philly), and let Crowder, Smart and Bradley kick his ass (no one there like those guys in Philly to hold him accountable), and we'll have something special.

👏

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2016, 11:47:55 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Hahahahahahahahaha. God no.

You think we should trade a guaranteed top 7 pick for a guy who's best possible future is Al Jefferson if he's lucky? Before we even know if it ends up #1? Yeah right.

Okafor just isn't that good. Poor shooter, poor rebounder, poor defender, poor teammate. Definitely not a guy we use one of our best picks in a decade on.

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2016, 11:51:07 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I would consider resigning from Celtics fandom.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2016, 11:51:51 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

You think we should trade a guaranteed top 7 pick for a guy who's best possible future is Al Jefferson if he's lucky? Before we even know if it ends up #1? Yeah right.

Okafor just isn't that good. Poor shooter, poor rebounder, poor defender, poor teammate. Definitely not a guy we use one of our best picks in a decade on.

What Okafor is not, is a guy that can carry the 76ers on his shoulders

But i can see him excelling on a vet team with hard working guys like the Celts... Have AL teach him how to play properly and not clown around in philly

Okafor is actually a smart guy that has improved on his defense and has time to further improve.  He is a better rebounder than advertised

Worst case I would love to have a younger Al Jefferson on the team. How is that a bad thing?

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2016, 11:58:22 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

He is a better rebounder than advertised

What does this even mean? Are you insinuating that he rebounds better than his stats demonstrate? I posted this yesterday, which does NOT include his 1 rebound (YES, ONE!) in 26 minutes yesterday vs the Grizzlies:

He's averaging 3.5 RPG in 20 MPG. Over his last 5 games, you know now that the rust is off, he's averaged 2.8 RPG in 21.MPG. He has grabbed 14 rebounds over his last 106 minutes. For comparison, "small" 2 guard Avery Bradley is averaging 8.1 RPG in 35.7 MPG.