Author Topic: Zach Lowe on Available Centers  (Read 2796 times)

Zach Lowe on Available Centers
« on: November 23, 2016, 05:04:30 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
This is from Zach Lowe's piece on the Blazers:

Portland has long been my favorite Vucevic landing spot, though the Magic should probably just stop taking Olshey's calls after gifting him Harkless for nothing. Just about everyone is overstocked with centers. Portland might call Denver about Jusuf Nurkic, and it wouldn't stun me if they expressed some interest in Tyson Chandler -- even though Chandler is a decade older than some core Blazers, with two years left on a bloated contract. (Related: It still looks unlikely that the new collective bargaining deal will include an amnesty provision, though you never know what crazy stuff might happen in those addled final hours of negotiation.)

Someone should be trying to steal Kosta Koufos from the Kings. As for another popular suggestion, let's just say the league doesn't quite know what to make of Nerlens Noel.

A little bit of relevant information here for the C's.

Lowe seems to think Vucevic is moveable (he'd fill some holes). Koufos could get got for very little, potantially (although I don't think he moves the needle). If the league doesn't know what to  make of Nerlens, just how cheap could the C's get him, if he doesn't want to be in Philly anymore? He also doesn't think a call on Nurkic would be wasted time.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Zach Lowe on Available Centers
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 05:24:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Ainge probably isn't interested in a non-free with guaranteed money beyond this season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 06:09:31 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I'm not a big fan of the more traditional centers in Vucevic and Koufos, especially Koufos, who I don't think would move the needle for us. Vucevic would certainly help our rebounding and interior offense, but isn't he pretty terrible defensively and always giving up major numbers to opposing centers? I also don't think he'd be worth giving up anything significant for. And what's the deal with everyone's obsession with Nurkic?

I think we need to sort of transition back to our defensive identity, which is why I think someone like Noel is the best trade idea for us. He'd certainly come fairly cheap (thinking around Rozier, Young, and the Memphis pick) and he's exactly what we need in a young, athletic, defensive big who is very mobile and an excellent rebounder.

And I'm okay with trading for a big, because I really don't see us upgrading much next year during free agency. I think the major players in free agency come in three camps:

Not going to seriously consider us or leave current team - Griffin, Paul, Curry, Durant, Lowry

Too old/not worth the money they'll get - Ibaka, Milsap

Attainable, but not in a position of need - Hayward, Holiday

I don't think maxing out someone like Hayward would really help us all that much. I'd be okay with giving Noel a sizable contract and drafting a high-level big with the Brooklyn pick to develop under Horford and Noel.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 06:36:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Is he suggesting Nurkic is available?  What do they need?  I'd like to build a package around Smart for Nurkic, but do they have any need for a defensive role player guard?

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 06:39:18 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Is he suggesting Nurkic is available?  What do they need?  I'd like to build a package around Smart for Nurkic, but do they have any need for a defensive role player guard?

TP for you as I too would be interested in a package around Smart for either Nurkic or Jokic.  Not sure another defensive minded guard is what they would want though.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 07:18:49 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'm not a big fan of the more traditional centers in Vucevic and Koufos, especially Koufos, who I don't think would move the needle for us. Vucevic would certainly help our rebounding and interior offense, but isn't he pretty terrible defensively and always giving up major numbers to opposing centers? I also don't think he'd be worth giving up anything significant for. And what's the deal with everyone's obsession with Nurkic?

I think we need to sort of transition back to our defensive identity, which is why I think someone like Noel is the best trade idea for us. He'd certainly come fairly cheap (thinking around Rozier, Young, and the Memphis pick) and he's exactly what we need in a young, athletic, defensive big who is very mobile and an excellent rebounder.

And I'm okay with trading for a big, because I really don't see us upgrading much next year during free agency. I think the major players in free agency come in three camps:

Not going to seriously consider us or leave current team - Griffin, Paul, Curry, Durant, Lowry

Too old/not worth the money they'll get - Ibaka, Milsap

Attainable, but not in a position of need - Hayward, Holiday

I don't think maxing out someone like Hayward would really help us all that much. I'd be okay with giving Noel a sizable contract and drafting a high-level big with the Brooklyn pick to develop under Horford and Noel.
I basically agree with all of this except I'm a little higher on Vucevic than you are. Still, I might lean toward Noel is the deal is good.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 07:33:38 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

Nobody values Smart more than the Celtics. He's only getting traded for a star so stop pushing a trade for another average role players since you labeled Smart as one.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 07:40:24 PM »

Online Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'd trade Zeller and a couple 2nd round picks for Tyson Chandler.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 07:50:22 PM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41

You would like to build a package around Smart for Nurkić? This is the stupidest thing I have heard in a while.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 07:51:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I expect Ainge is valuing that Memphis pick as a probable lottery pick. He made some comments in the summer about how valuable a pick it could become. It is far into the future and nobody knows what Memphis will be by then. Ainge said something along those lines.

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 08:05:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

You would like to build a package around Smart for Nurkić? This is the stupidest thing I have heard in a while.
Not me personally... I don't run the Celtics.  I'm saying I'd like to come up with a trade idea package built around Marcus Smart for Nurkic that would make sense, but I don't know if that team would have any interest in Smart.   If they have use for Smart, maybe you could offer them Smart and a 1st?

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 08:10:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I can't see Denver wanting Smart. They have their backcourt of the future in place with Mudiay and Jamal Murray plus they have Gary Harris as their poor man's Avery Bradley. I expect Denver will be looking for a PF or SF (someone to play alongside Gallo) if they trade Nurkic of Jokic. Or looking for more of an established star at guard (Bledsoe?).

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 08:16:56 PM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown

Not me personally... I don't run the Celtics.  I'm saying I'd like to come up with a trade idea package built around Marcus Smart for Nurkic that would make sense, but I don't know if that team would have any interest in Smart.   If they have use for Smart, maybe you could offer them Smart and a 1st?

Yeah, Smart, both BKN picks and what else before they even consider taking our trash for Nurkić? Man stop talking nonsense... I can understand people having 'man crush' for some players but please stop selling our players for nothing. Especially our main players... I have watched Nurkić play in KK Cedevita, I have watched him play for his national team Bosnia and Herzegovina and I have watched him play for the Nuggets. He is not worth Marcus Smart. Period.

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 08:30:27 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

If that is the stupidest thing you've heard in a while, welcome back from the rock you've been living under.

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 08:31:56 PM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown

If that is the stupidest thing you've heard in a while, welcome back from the rock you've been living under.

Well,obviously it was not the stupidest thing. Sorry.