Poll

IT+both Brooklyn picks for Russell Westbrook. Yay or nay?

Yes
18 (52.9%)
No
16 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Would you trade IT+both Brooklyn picks for Russell Westbrook?  (Read 3718 times)

Would you trade IT+both Brooklyn picks for Russell Westbrook?
« on: November 23, 2016, 08:35:35 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
When I think of all the players that would fit well in our offense if IT walks in free agency, Westbrook comes to mind.
Is Westbrook a top 5 player in the NBA?

Keep in mind he's freshly signed to an extension.
So if you were Danny and Presti called saying he wants to do this deal this afternoon,no negotiations.

You have to pull the trigger right? I think I have to.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Would you trade IT+both Brooklyn picks for Russell Westbrook?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 08:42:01 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Absolutely.  And no way you're getting him that cheap.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 08:46:06 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

What else would you add? I don't know if many teams have that much to give up...would Lakers give up more? Wolves? Philly? I think he'd have to agree to go to whichever team he gets traded to because the new team will need re-assurance to make such a deal.

I get you're saying it doesn't seem enough but I'm not sure what else they'd get back for him from he'd want to play for.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 08:47:21 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Definitely do IT + 1 BRK pick. Bit of hesitation over a 2nd BRK pick. But yes, in the end, I'd probably do the deal. I'd love to have Westbrook here. He would be unstoppable with skilled bigs like Horford and Olynyk who can space the floor. Yes, I'd do the deal.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 08:49:10 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
No. Hes a me-first player that will be too expensive to get. Plus, hes a slightly worse shooter than IT. Him playing with Smart and Brown will be a disaster with the spacing. Hes not very bright with his decision making either, especially in crunch time. Today's laker game is a prime example. We need depth more than a name if we want another banners in the rafters.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 09:20:07 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
No. Hes a me-first player that will be too expensive to get. Plus, hes a slightly worse shooter than IT. Him playing with Smart and Brown will be a disaster with the spacing. Hes not very bright with his decision making either, especially in crunch time. Today's laker game is a prime example. We need depth more than a name if we want another banners in the rafters.

Some good points.
So let's look at positives aswell to be fair:
*Is faster, bigger and stronger than IT and that helps our defense immensely. WB is a very good defender which is a big part of replacing IT with someone like him. He scores the same as IT but he defends to a far superior level.

*Is arguably the fastest man in the NBA in the open court with the ball in his hands. For a team like us that wants to run and play physically he is an upgrade over IT in our transition offense and defense.

A good way to think about it is looking at our starting lineup replacing IT with WB.

Westbrook
Bradley
Crowder
Horford
Amir/Kelly

That is arguably a higher scoring starting 5 with Westbrook getting more points and more assists than IT.
But it is a defensive nightmare for any opponent and would be a legitimate defensive force vs teams like CLE and GSW, LAC, Spurs etc..

Anyway, I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm not saying I'm right.There are legitimate arguments for each side which is why I thought this was an interesting debate during our quest to lure a big fish.

I'm watching the Thunder vs Lakers and Westbrook has 32 points, 12 assists, 7 rebounds with 5 minutes left. The guy is an absolute freak.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 09:24:30 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd probably pull the trigger on this deal.  would wait for the trade deadline though to see how this year's Nets pick is looking.  if it looks top 3, I'd probably just make the deal IT and that pick. 

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 09:39:41 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Yes, no question about it. Westbrook needs a team like the Celtics to thrive. He'll have great defenders (Crowder, AB, Smart) and pick and roll/pop bigs (Horford, Olynyk, Amir) and there will be no questions about who's team it is. I think his biggest issue with Durant was the power struggle, it wouldn't exist here. This would be his team, and he can take it a lot further than Isaiah. Nothing against IT4 because I love him, but Westbrook is a different animal.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I think it's clear Westbrook is a top 5 player now. His talent is getting wasted on that bum team. Same with Paul George. I hate to see such talented players not have fair shot at a title.

I would do the trade in a second. But it seems to me Westbrook isn't available and nor does Westbrook want to leave.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 10:31:33 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

What else would you add? I don't know if many teams have that much to give up...would Lakers give up more? Wolves? Philly? I think he'd have to agree to go to whichever team he gets traded to because the new team will need re-assurance to make such a deal.

I get you're saying it doesn't seem enough but I'm not sure what else they'd get back for him from he'd want to play for.
I can't see OKC trading Westbrook but I'd definitely make the trade.  However, it looks like Westbrook can't be traded until February.  I think you'd probably end up having to add Brown to the trade.  At least one of the teams you mentioned would probably offer more. 

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 10:36:40 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It's very close but I vote no. Only because I don't know if team would retain BS and Fultz as well as Ayton look super good.

I'd feel much better if we did
IT, Crowder, AJ, Clippers and Grizz 1st for Anthony Davis.

Starters=Smart, Bradley, Brown, Davis, Horford
Bench= Rozier, Green, JJ, KO, Zeller

Or
Smart, Crowder, JJ, Clippers and Grizz 1st for Cousins

Starters=IT, AB, Green, Horford, Cousins
Bench= Rozier, Brown, KO, AJ, Zeller

Keep both Nets picks.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 10:53:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I don't think OKC wants to trade Russ, but if they do, I think they would want out from under Kanter's contract as well, so I think he would have to be included, so maybe something like this

Westbrook, Kanter

for

Johnson, Zeller, Jerekbo, Thomas, Brown, BOS 17 (BKN), MEM 1st, BOS 18

I think that trade would make sense for both teams in a lot of ways.

Boston would have 3 open roster spots to fill with veterans or minor trades, but post-trade would be this

PG - Westbrook, Rozier, Jackson
SG - Bradley, Smart
SF - Crowder, Green, Young
PF - Horford, Mickey
C - Kanter, Olynyk

Obviously weak on the front court depth, but a 7/8 deep playoff rotation that could potentially challenge the Cavs and Warriors and with a couple of veteran free agent bigs, I think that team could make some noise. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 10:59:03 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
It's very close but I vote no. Only because I don't know if team would retain BS and Fultz as well as Ayton look super good.

I'd feel much better if we did
IT, Crowder, AJ, Clippers and Grizz 1st for Anthony Davis.

Starters=Smart, Bradley, Brown, Davis, Horford
Bench= Rozier, Green, JJ, KO, Zeller

Or
Smart, Crowder, JJ, Clippers and Grizz 1st for Cousins

Starters=IT, AB, Green, Horford, Cousins
Bench= Rozier, Brown, KO, AJ, Zeller

Keep both Nets picks.
Who is Ayton?  Why would we lose Stevens if we got Westbrook? 

You're NOP trade proposal wouldn't get them to answer the phone and the Kings proposal is a bit better so they'd listen and then hang up.  We're not trading for a star without giving up at least one of the Nets picks.  If Davis comes on the market, acquiring him would require a lot of our best assets. 

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 11:01:06 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
The Celtics would not be able to put together a package that could get Westbrook out of OKC. You are severely overrating the value of future draft picks.

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 11:04:05 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
What if Russ is going to leave OKC? In this scenario, we have more than enough assets to acquire a rental player.