Author Topic: The Trump Cabinet And Appointees  (Read 15628 times)

Re: The Trump Cabinet And Appointees
« Reply #210 on: January 20, 2017, 02:56:34 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 750
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Mr. Perry at Energy is another total head-scratcher...first he is appointed to run a department he once wanted to close and now we find out he really had no idea what the Energy Department even did.  It is hard for me to have much confidence in him.

That story has been discredited.

Perry was an Air Force pilot and the successful 3-term governor of a huge state. He's not an idiot.
It was not discredited otherwise he would not have said he regretted saying it.

Rick Perry, the former Texas governor and President-elect Donald J. Trump’s nominee as energy secretary, said in his Senate confirmation hearing on Thursday that he regretted having recommended the abolition of the Energy Department in the past.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/us/politics/rick-perry-energy-department.html?_r=0
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #211 on: January 20, 2017, 03:25:10 PM »

Offline mef730

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 558
Not cabinet but this cracks me up.  Trump just tapped the owner of the New York Jets as ambassador to the UK.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/19/trump-confirms-woody-johnson-will-be-uk-ambassador/

President-elect Trump confirmed today that Jets owner Woody Johnson is his choice to be the next United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom.

In a speech today, Trump referenced that Johnson was “going to St. James.” The U.S. ambassador to the U.K. is sometimes referred to as the Ambassador of the United States to the Court of St James’s.

As we’ve previously reported, Johnson has been planning to accept the ambassadorship and hand over operations of the Jets to his younger brother, Christopher Wold Johnson.

Woody Johnson has recently been in the news with comments dismissing criticism of quarterback Christian Hackenberg and denying he’d fire coach Todd Bowles for missing the playoffs next year. But it appears that Johnson won’t be focusing on football decisions in the coming years.

Maybe he'll pick Goodell to be ambassador to some place really cold and barren.

Mike
Want to learn about frequent flyer miles and flying well for free? Check out my blog here: http://frequentflyermiles101.com/

Actually, check it out even if you don't want to. It'll make me feel good.

« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2017, 08:17:10 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27670
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Mr. Perry at Energy is another total head-scratcher...first he is appointed to run a department he once wanted to close and now we find out he really had no idea what the Energy Department even did.  It is hard for me to have much confidence in him.

Perry was an Air Force pilot and the successful 3-term governor of a huge state. He's not an idiot.
It was not discredited otherwise he would not have said he regretted saying it.

Rick Perry, the former Texas governor and President-elect Donald J. Trump’s nominee as energy secretary, said in his Senate confirmation hearing on Thursday that he regretted having recommended the abolition of the Energy Department in the past.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/us/politics/rick-perry-energy-department.html?_r=0

The story that "he really had no idea what the Energy Department even did" has been discredited.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/19/journalists-apologize-for-spreading-bogus-new-york-times-story-about-rick-perry/

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2017, 08:22:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27670
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

What story was discredited?  Granted, saying he "had no idea" may be an overstatement but from quotes like this it sounds like he did not understand the role he was offered very well:

"Last month, when Mr. Trump offered Mr. Perry the job of energy secretary, he accepted with the understanding that the role would be largely focused on promoting American energy development, according to people who have briefed him. Only later did he learn that the agency’s central portfolio is the oversight and management of the nation’s nuclear weapons complex, as well as 17 national scientific laboratories."

As for whether or not he is an idiot, I never said that.  I expect that he is a pretty bright guy but that does not mean he is qualified for the role he was offered.  I mean, you could be a brilliant brain surgeon but that does not mean you should be running an important governmental agency that has nothing to do with medicine at all.

*Edit:  I should say that I do like that Mr. Perry has seemed to change his tune on a number of issues regarding the Energy Department recently.  That is at least encouraging.

That's the problem with "fake news", or at least sloppy, biased news. The sole source in that story says that his words were twisted to create a false narrative. Yet, it's already out there, and people will believe it.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2017, 09:11:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1060
Perry is prone to gaffe's, I don't think he is a truly bright individual but he is not a moron. 

I saw a few deer in the headlights during the confirmations but most did ok, I though Perry did a good job with humor in his confirmation.   The worst one was the Future Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos when she could not answer the difference between student proficiency and student growth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MAEVD27zfs

Close to 1:50 mark, it is pretty clear she does not know the answer.